High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Favorite Woods Carry Pistol(s)

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
1:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Yeah, as usual the debate rages on. We hear US stats on gun crime but you never hear positive stats. I might have got this wrong so correct me if I have. Is it true that states in the US that have an open carry law/permit have less crime than others that don't ?
You can get a plethora of numbers directly from FBI.gov factually supporting your assertion... The "anti's" will never let facts get in the way of a preconceived narrative especially when they have a "solution" looking for a problem. Kansas is a constitutional carry state i.e; if you're a non-felonious resident of the state, you may carry openly or concealed in all but certain restricted spaces (schools, gov't buildings, etc). Many in law enforcement and most of a certain political party (and the news) were certain that we'd see a return to Saturday nights at the O.K. Corrall... We've seen the exact opposite.

The funny part about a potent means of defense, available to the masses, is that it makes potential victims far more likely to to not be victims and makes for a much more polite society... My nextdoor neighbor used to be a drug dealer. After he watched me hitting a steel water pipe at 200yds with a 6" .357 revolver (free-handed), the day after I almost shot his "friend" for attempting to steal from me, he's been the nicest guy!

Politics over...

dieselfitter

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I carry a Glock 31 every day.
FTW, the Glock 31 is a full sized caliber-ed in .357 Sig.
Compared to my other handguns, it is a sledgehammer. I have no concerns regarding lack of firepower.
IMG_20140704_111511_768.jpg

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The Sig is a great round and hits hard, it's just a PITA to reload w/the VERY short neck. there is a fine line between not deep enough and oh ___t!
I have a drop in barrel for my Sig P250 compact and thought about buying a barrel for my G23. I think after my Sig though, that I will be selling my G23 + Stormlake drop in match (lead capable)barrel.

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can get a plethora of numbers directly from FBI.gov factually supporting your assertion... The "anti's" will never let facts get in the way of a preconceived narrative especially when they have a "solution" looking for a problem. Kansas is a constitutional carry state i.e; if you're a non-felonious resident of the state, you may carry openly or concealed in all but certain restricted spaces (schools, gov't buildings, etc). Many in law enforcement and most of a certain political party (and the news) were certain that we'd see a return to Saturday nights at the O.K. Corrall... We've seen the exact opposite.

The funny part about a potent means of defense, available to the masses, is that it makes potential victims far more likely to to not be victims and makes for a much more polite society... My nextdoor neighbor used to be a drug dealer. After he watched me hitting a steel water pipe at 200yds with a 6" .357 revolver (free-handed), the day after I almost shot his "friend" for attempting to steal from me, he's been the nicest guy!

Politics over...
One side of my property, the sheriffs dept only has a few vehicles, capable of getting to. There are several creek crossings and the road is five miles of rough going. The local meth cooking idiots know this and take advantage of it.
Local law enforcement has told me and my neighbors, if we have a problem, we might have to handle it ourselves.
On more than one occasion, I've confronted small groups of guys poking around and looking for a place to set up a cooking operation. Generally, it's only me, FTF with several of them.
I always carry a sidearm and either an 870 in tactical configuration or an AR M4.
I love how a loaded weapon can instantly alter an attitude from, "yeah and what's you going to do about it", to "Yes Sir, we didn't know this was your property, we're sorry."

One of my neighbors had a run in with some citidiots who thought they were the Mexican Mafia. When he confronted them, they ran off into the woods. He picked up their Mitsubishi Eclipse with the bale spike on his tractor and dumped it in a deep hole in the creek. Haven't seen them since.

An armed society is a polite society.

Last edited:

dieselfitter

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great gun and like my 22 a barrel swap and you've got .40 or 9mm
.357 sig is a great flat shooting rnd.
I have a "tactical .40" barrel for it. A suppressor may find it's way on there someday. 40 s&w makes for a nice subsonic round.
I have a few Hornady reloaders and the dies to reload 9mm, 357 sig, 40 and others. Haven't got around to re-loading a single round yet. I don't think I will ever even attempt to re-load 5.7x28 for my FiveseveN.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
2:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like the .357 but it's much more expensive because of brass i get free 9mm .40 .45 brass
Great rnd id carry it and practice with cheaper loads.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One side of my property, the sheriffs dept only has a few vehicles, capable of getting to. There are several creek crossings and the road is five miles of rough going. The local meth cooking idiots know this and take advantage of it.
Local law enforcement has told me and my neighbors, if we have a problem, we might have to handle it ourselves.
On more than one occasion, I've confronted small groups of guys poking around and looking for a place to set up a cooking operation. Generally, it's only me, FTF with several of them.
I always carry a sidearm and either an 870 in tactical configuration or an AR M4.
I love how a loaded weapon can instantly alter an attitude from, "yeah and what's you going to do about it", to "Yes Sir, we didn't know this was your property, we're sorry."

One of my neighbors had a run in with some citidiots who thought they were the Mexican Mafia. When he confronted them, they ran off into the woods. He picked up their Mitsubishi Eclipse with the bale spike on his tractor and dumped it in a deep hole in the creek. Haven't seen them since.

An armed society is a polite society.
Same here rural lots of inaccessible property's. A guy i talked to caught two guys at night on a atv after they cut his gate down and shot his trail camera he chased them down with his truck they were both grown men but started crying. i think he had a shotgun it's been a few years ago but he ended up with a big bear atv and a .22 rifle for the damage they caused. the police were called the gun and atv came back not stolen they gladly made the deal.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The Sig is a great round, but for reloading ease, I'll stick to my .357 Mag... I only have an 8-shooter Taurus currently (w/3-5k rds through it), but will eventually have a SP101, and either a 686 or a GP100, or both. It really is a delightful and VERY effective round on 2 and 4 legged critters. I also adore the .41 mag, .44 mag and .45 Colt (in 2nd loading tier capable firearms) like the Blackhawk, Freedom Arms or Maximum Research BFR series, which may be by next single action via their custom shop w/a 6.5" octagonal barrel and a Bisley grip.

@dieselfitter The rounds are fun to reload and it's cathartic for me. The 5.7x28 would be a PITA due to the small neck which could be easy to crush. Unless I ended up with a 5SevN pistol or a P90, I would look at an Armscor/Rock Island in .22 TCM. It has better ballistics by a decent margin than the 5.7x28mm and in a double stack 1911 makes a formidable combo.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Check out slickguns there was new sp101 for 439.00 they are around 550.00 here plus tax. Im saving up for a match champion. I shoot my friends sp101 and match champion often wonderful shooters wish i had never sold my redhawk or gp100s.

dieselfitter

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@dieselfitter The rounds are fun to reload and it's cathartic for me. The 5.7x28 would be a PITA due to the small neck which could be easy to crush. Unless I ended up with a 5SevN pistol or a P90, I would look at an Armscor/Rock Island in .22 TCM. It has better ballistics by a decent margin than the 5.7x28mm and in a double stack 1911 makes a formidable combo.
The price on 5.7x28 ammo has come down and it is fairly easy to find. I'll stick with my FiveseveN for now.

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Check out slickguns there was new sp101 for 439.00 they are around 550.00 here plus tax. Im saving up for a match champion. I shoot my friends sp101 and match champion often wonderful shooters wish i had never sold my redhawk or gp100s.
I was never a fan of the GP100s, simply because the trigger pulls were heavy and creepy. Last year, I was looking for gun to keep in the tool box of my tractor and found a 4" SS GP100 on Armlist. The gun had been for sale for a while and the price kept dropping, to the point that I finally contacted the seller.
We met up and he showed me what was possibly the dirtiest gun I'd ever seen. He wasn't a gun guy, didn't know much about the gun but had shot it a lot and never cleaned it. It looked terrible but had a decent trigger. I picked it up cheap, on the off chance that there was a decent gun, somewhere under the crud.
When I tore it down, I found that the gun had been shimmed and the internals had been polished. I spent two days cleaning the gun, most of it scrubbing the bore. The gun had been shot with a combination of jacketed and lead bullets and it was almost impossible to see any rifling.
After the thorough cleaning, I reassembled the gun and was greeted with a butter smooth action with a 3.5lb, glass rod break in SA and a 9lb DA pull. The gun is a shooter. I never thought it possible to get an action, rivaling a S&W, on a GP. I was wrong. Here's an after pic, I didn't take one before I cleaned it.
image.jpg

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had the 4 and 6 inch stainless models i wish i had never sold them they were 350.00 a piece new now they are over 600.00 both of them and a 400.00 .44 redhawk were mistakes selling now it would be hard replacing them.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was never a fan of the GP100s, simply because the trigger pulls were heavy and creepy. Last year, I was looking for gun to keep in the tool box of my tractor and found a 4" SS GP100 on Armlist. The gun had been for sale for a while and the price kept dropping, to the point that I finally contacted the seller.
We met up and he showed me what was possibly the dirtiest gun I'd ever seen. He wasn't a gun guy, didn't know much about the gun but had shot it a lot and never cleaned it. It looked terrible but had a decent trigger. I picked it up cheap, on the off chance that there was a decent gun, somewhere under the crud.
When I tore it down, I found that the gun had been shimmed and the internals had been polished. I spent two days cleaning the gun, most of it scrubbing the bore. The gun had been shot with a combination of jacketed and lead bullets and it was almost impossible to see any rifling.
After the thorough cleaning, I reassembled the gun and was greeted with a butter smooth action with a 3.5lb, glass rod break in SA and a 9lb DA pull. The gun is a shooter. I never thought it possible to get an action, rivaling a S&W, on a GP. I was wrong. Here's an after pic, I didn't take one before I cleaned it.
View attachment 47702
If you get a chance hold a match champion even if i buy a used gp100 ill buy those grips they are perfect over a dozen of us loved them i like the rubber but the wood grips do it for a revolver for me.

danimal

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a "tactical .40" barrel for it. A suppressor may find it's way on there someday. 40 s&w makes for a nice subsonic round.
I have a few Hornady reloaders and the dies to reload 9mm, 357 sig, 40 and others. Haven't got around to re-loading a single round yet. I don't think I will ever even attempt to re-load 5.7x28 for my FiveseveN.
Don't carry reloads,,,EVER!
Factory ammo wasn't powerful enough! Your honor and jurors, he reloaded his own.... U WILL HANG YERSELF! so to speak..

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Personally, I don't see carrying ammo I reloaded in any different light than say your typical factory "critical defense" type rounds. How does anyone even prove you were carrying reloads to begin with???

I see what you are saying about an over zealous prosecutor in a criminal trial or the same type of plaintiff's attorney in a civil trial, I just see it as a very shaky argument at best. At the end of the day, you aimed a firearm at a would-be assailant and pulled the trigger. The intent and result are the same whether you are carrying factory rounds or reloads.

I'll keep carrying my reloads. Considering I live in mein furor der Cuomo's 4th Reich that is now NYS, I will have much bigger issues should I find myself in the aftermath of a shooting than whether or not I was carrying reloads.

expert of nothing

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Refering to the pic. above Sweet , I had a 6" model that had a brick heavy da pull and also gritty. Put a wolff spring kit in it and helped out the heavy pull but was still rough feeling, a friend told me to fill the cyl. with snap caps and dry fire the heck out of it every day till my finger hurt for a couple of weeks , wow what a difference it made. Ended up with about 9Lb. DA @ 3.5 SA still didnt feel as good as most S@Ws. Never shot the match champion but hear it's better than most S@Ws.

Last edited:

Jwalker1911

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Don't carry reloads,,,EVER!
Factory ammo wasn't powerful enough! Your honor and jurors, he reloaded his own.... U WILL HANG YERSELF! so to speak..
Ever had to defend yourself in a shooting situation? It comes down to whether or not the shooting was justified. Not what round you used. Trust me on this. And my preferred woods gun depends on the woods. Around here I carry a Ruger revolver 22lr or my Mark 2. In the elk woods I carry a Ruger Redhawk 44 mag or a Vaquero in 45LC

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you get a chance hold a match champion even if i buy a used gp100 ill buy those grips they are perfect over a dozen of us loved them i like the rubber but the wood grips do it for a revolver for me.
I just got one of the new 3" barrel .44 spec GP 100's. Without a doubt, the best out of the box trigger I've felt on a Ruger. The grips are rubber but without the finger grooves. From what I hear, the enhancements from the Match Champion were incorporated into this gun. If you have a chance, take a look at one. With the short barrel and light weight, heavy .44 spec loads (240gr bullet @ 1'000fps) are a handful.