favorite trimmer under $300?

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Echo all the way. You should be able to find a really nice one in a pawn shop for $100.00 or so. I use a grass blade on my SRM-225 and a Speedfeed head on my GT-200R and they both are just awesome. Tip: the Zama rotary carb has one mixture adjustment screw on the back, under the primer bulb. It is covered by a plastic plug which can be easily drilled out. Adjust it in small increments as it makes a big difference. I richened mine just a wee bit over factory for insurance against leaning out.

Honorable mention would be my 2001 Poulan BC-2400. I have used that thing hard and it has never let me down, surprisingly good machine for something like $130.00 back in the day.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, I am looking for gifting a trimmer to a friend of mine. Seriously need one!! ;-) Can Anybody suggest with some more option for that..

Welcome to OPE Susan! If you can let us know a little more about your friend and what he/she will be using it for, we will be better equipped to make a recommendation for you.
Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I vote for the Shindiawa.
I don't know what model mine is, but it's around 15 yrs old, and I've never don a thing to it. I use a heavy duty head that requires you cut the line to length, I've gone through a couple of them through the years as I do a day of commercial mowing during the season here.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Echo-Shindiawa all much the same machines now , just rebadged .
Good to know if I ever need to replace mine. Is it that way with all their models, or just a few.
I'm also wanting to get a newer reedman backpack blower as I bought it at the same time as the trimmer and it has seen quite a few hrs of use. The shoulder straps are pretty shot and rather than replace them I'll probably just sell mine so someone can get a nice entry level cost on a great machine and I can spend a couple hundred more and have an almost new one again. All I've done on this machine is the gas lines, cleaned the carb once and replaced the recoil twice(they get water in them when on the trailer).
For the money I paid vs the money these machines have made me it's hard to argue with the up front cost of either one.

JMoney

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Probably internally though I haven't gone over the IPL. That said I made the mistake of trying to mix and match a shindaiwa power head and a echo attachments, the shafts are even different sizes. I wound up going echo on the power head and love it.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Probably internally though I haven't gone over the IPL. That said I made the mistake of trying to mix and match a shindaiwa power head and a echo attachments, the shafts are even different sizes. I wound up going echo on the power head and love it.
Right on.
I know echo has some great equipment as does shinny, would be good to know which models are the same altogether if any, and which have share parts for future reference.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
If you feel like something away from the Husq..Still range then this Makita is a real nicely built loop handle 26cc trimmer.

Photo1169.jpg Photo1170.jpg Photo1171.jpg

Want something in the mid section of brush cutters then the Dolmar is MC34U is a very nice machine.

Photo1129.jpg Photo1131.jpg

Car wash guy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a blue max off of Amazon 2 years ago.45 cc straight shaft I use it for brush cutting and the occasional trim work.I can't complain on the motor it has run flawlessly used it for about 5 hours today with a skill saw blade on it.The only downfall is it's heavy and I'm not a small feller.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Tapatalk