favorite round or square file brand

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
8:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Something jacked up shipping costs from the USA to Canada about a year ago, but I haven't been able to Google the reason. Anyhow, a US$ 72.00 bar and chain order from Left Coast cost $56 in freight. Then I had the GST (Federal Gouge and Screw Tax) and PST (Provincial Sales Tax) to pay on delivery. Kind of turned a good deal sour.

Jack, this one had nothing to do with coming from the States. More so that they were coming to me from Saskatchewan... A welding distributor out of Regina distributes some Vallorbe stuff and was willing to order that particular file but price is outrageous.

As for shipping from the States it is important to make sure it is coming via USPS, that saves any brokerage charges ($58 if UPS). Thanks to our cash hungry federal gov't they are enforcing the collection of taxes on all packages coming in to Canada with a value of over $20. What really pissed me off was having to pay taxes on my own saw that I sent down to be ported. I already paid PST & GST on it once but still had to pay about $150 to get it back again.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Might be cheaper to just drive it down and back the next time. Stay a few days!

Philbert

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Might be cheaper to just drive it down and back the next time. Stay a few days!

Philbert

Only if I can coordinate it with a work trip to our store in Plymouth. As we speak I have a roll of chain and some other stuff from Nate waiting there for me to pick up. I couldn't wait this time as I was pretty much saw-less until I got that one back...

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So maybe mail your next saw to tree monkey and drive down to pick it up when ready (about 2-1/2 hours east).

Philbert

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am trying real hard to have a reason to he done there to be able to attend Monkey Fest but so far not in the cards for this year.

Last year I missed the Dodgegeeks GTG by 2 days but had to be home by the Thursday before.

Cracker Boy

Fl cracker
Local time
9:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I loke the windsor round files.it sucks cant get them anymore they went out of buiss.

wyksta

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I agree with Mike, I bought a few dozen Save Edge files and they were OK but prefer vallorbe and favourite is probably Pferd. Everyone was raving about Save Edge so I tried them but I get Pferd cheap locally. I have some 2 dozen Oberg file on route in post... always wanted to try Obergs.

The last few times I bought BahCo files they were labelled "Oberg" and they worked well.
I tend to go with Save Edge, though. I like being able to go just one pass most of the time.