How long does a file last?

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
8:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Depends on the user. I've chipped the corner on one side on the first 2 swipes or they'll file 10 chains. Just have to be careful and not push too hard.

Morten Hattesen

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Last dozen save edge I got didn't last long at all. The stihl Swiss made ones are better. Must have got a bad batch. I've bought maybe 8 dozen of them and these were the on,y ones that aren't better than all the others I have

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
mdavlwe post: 139099 said:
Last dozen save edge I got didn't last long at all. The stihl Swiss made ones are better. Must have got a bad batch. I've bought maybe 8 dozen of them and these were the on,y ones that aren't better than all the others I have
I agree with Mike, I bought a few dozen Save Edge files and they were OK but prefer vallorbe and favourite is probably Pferd. Everyone was raving about Save Edge so I tried them but I get Pferd cheap locally. I have some 2 dozen Oberg file on route in post... always wanted to try Obergs.

Douglas Ostrander

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was having problem with Vallorbe getting to much of a beak. But then I turned the file over and the bottom has a nice crisp edge to get into the perfect corner. Just work on the top plate with the bottom then turn it back over to finish top and side plate. The bottom cuts very nice.

The save edge seems more of rounded corner. Not to a good point on the corners.

Last edited:

quietfly

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree with Mike, I bought a few dozen Save Edge files and they were OK but prefer vallorbe and favourite is probably Pferd. Everyone was raving about Save Edge so I tried them but I get Pferd cheap locally. I have some 2 dozen Oberg file on route in post... always wanted to try Obergs.
did you get these yet?

johnny5ny

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
i like the hardness of stihl over Oregon and think it holds its edge slightly longer especially in hard wood
i can get a wicked edge on both hand filing, just takes a bit longer to do on stihl chain.

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've used a variety of round file brands and haven't noticed that much of a difference between them. I do know that I sometimes try to get more life out of them than what they have in them. I do more bench grinding on chains now than I used to so don't go through them as fast. I usually have at least a dozen of each size in stock. (probably 7 or 8 different sizes) so I always have the right file for all the oddball chains I have.
Sometimes when I score a big pile of saws I get a bucket full of chains too. Gotta save em all!
(right @Philbert?)

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A key thing with files is understanding that they are consumable - a lot of guys don't get this, and continue to drag a file across cutters, long after it stops cutting effectively.

A good comparison is with sandpaper - once it stops sanding, it does not sand 'finer', it just stops sanding, and it is time to replace it. That said, some sandpaper lasts longer than others; some sands faster, but wear out faster; some leaves a finer or coarser surface; etc. Buying round files a dozen or so at a time really drops the price down. especially when on sale.

Keep 'em clean with a file card; protect the hardened edges from chipping/banging against other files when not in use (soda straw, wrap in paper or rag, etc.); toss them in the recycling bin when dull.

Philbert

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use them for toothpicks...

Sup Philbert?

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
i use stihl brand files 3 pack for 5.00 bucks or the chitty oregon files are 4.99 for 2

Gunn

Yay sawz
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not needed. Maybe a little chalk on the file to keep it from packing up with filings.

skippy

Husqvarnas Sawyer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use the ones mike Lee uses . Vallorbe straight across . I still haven't found a soul to part with the obergs double beveled files .