Fatwood / fatlighter / lighterknot

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've heard of people selling lighter stumps to explosives manufacturers. Something in them they use to make "boom!" stuff.
I encounter fat lighter wood from time to time but don't use it. I never make kindling either. Groundi makes all the fires and she doesn't need it. Not sure of her techniques exactly but the house is always warm.

ABarrick

TacomaTRD98 on AS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm sure some of you will scoff at this but my fire starter for years has been a splash of used motor oil and some newspaper, scrap paper , saw dust, noodles etc. Basically anything that ignites easily to get a flame started then it lights the oil and a few minutes the fire is blazing. Another thing of beauty is a click start propane torch. One bottle of fuel lasts me more than a heating season and removes the frustration of matches and getting the fire established. Used oil is free if you change your own and a bottle of propane is a few bucks. Cheaper and IMHO faster/easier than buying starter bricks or messing with kindling.

jb-chainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I'm sure some of you will scoff at this but my fire starter for years has been a splash of used motor oil and some newspaper, scrap paper , saw dust, noodles etc. Basically anything that ignites easily to get a flame started then it lights the oil and a few minutes the fire is blazing. Another thing of beauty is a click start propane torch. One bottle of fuel lasts me more than a heating season and removes the frustration of matches and getting the fire established. Used oil is free if you change your own and a bottle of propane is a few bucks. Cheaper and IMHO faster/easier than buying starter bricks or messing with kindling.

Nothing wrong with that, I save up my old engine oil for when I neeed to have a big fire on the farm to get rid of junk. So we can both be scoffed at together!

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
8:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use some newspaper, some small stuff, and a match (or lighter). Works.

Philbert

Blackgreyhounds

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FWIW, the wife has been mixing melted
paraffin wax in small paper cups with kiln-dried hardwood shavings from my wood working shop cyclone. These are awesome fire starters and they cost next to nothing!

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I dropped off a truckload of firewood to a couple who also burn it in their backyard patio. I included at no extra charge a 1 cu ft bundle of elm kindling sticks that I had made with my Kindling Cracker. The wife was so happy to see that bundle of split dry sticks that she gave me a big hug and kiss on the cheek.

Needless to say, that made it all worthwhile. I doubt I spent more than 15 minutes putting that bundle together, tied together with a 6' length of twine and a 5" hose handle for carrying.

Last edited:

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I dropped off a truckload of firewood to a couple who also burn it in their backyard patio. I included at no extra charge a 1 cu ft bundle of elm kindling sticks that I had made with my Kindling Cracker. The wife was so happy to see that bundle of split dry sticks that she gave me a big hug and kiss on the cheek.

Needless to say, that made it all worthwhile. I doubt I spent more than 15 minutes putting that bundle together.
I have got to get one of those Kindling Crackers. Oh yeah and some hugging and kissin from a nice woman.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have got to get one of those Kindling Crackers. Oh yeah and some hugging and kissin from a nice woman.
Well, I can't guarantee the latter, but that Kindling Cracker works wonders. The gal in New Zealand who invented it (picture on the box) resembles my customer. So far, I have split and made at least a thousand sticks of dry elm with it, and it's holding together without a scratch or bend. The secret, of course, is to avoid knots and look for straight grain.

StandInTheFire

Sheriff of Mad Woman Gulch
Local time
7:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I actually saw a firestarting scheme that was new to me. As a bonus, 'twas some pretty little gal living in a tiny house that posted it up on youtube. She simply collected chips discharged (everywhere!#$?!!) by chainsaws, crammed them in a coffee can and added a cup of diesel fuel to the mix. For cold starts on her wood stove, she simply spooned out some fortified chips from that can and BOOM. Instant fire. My personal favorite, which I believe was mentioned previously in this thread, involves a propane torch jammed in the stove door. The biggest drawback there is forgetting about the stove for a minute too long. Overheating those tiny pro-pain cylinders is not recommended. Not at all.