User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep
I been a walking through the woods and seen two rows
of knots laying there knowing that there was a tree
there years ago,
like you said ,unique smell,
In one of the foxfire books ,they tell how to make tar from it.
Yes. Old timers, not sure about today, used the stumps to make turpentine.

Chainganger

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
After a pine is cut, how many years does it take for the stump to turn into fat wood?

Ron660

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After a pine is cut, how many years does it take for the stump to turn into fat wood?
I asked my Forestry professor that in class one day. He said. "I don't know every da** thing"! I'm certain if you cut away the center/heart of a live pine it'll work too.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I suppose it just depends on the area .This area of Ohio has no native pines .However it's probably the highest ash kill from EAB in the country,not a live one over say 2" in diameter .

Ash by it's nature is a low moisture contend tree .Standing dead it gets hard as rock and dry as a bone .Splitting same you get a lot of lath thin little scraps of wood,best fire starter I've ever seen .I have a couple of collapsible pallet shipping containers with sheet metal covers to store it in .I gather some of it up to use for kindling and keep two little boxes next to the wood stove

During a normal winter I build one fire that burns non stop from November to mid March . During last and this year however it's been too warm .Haven't had a fire for three weeks .Stove is hard to control the heat and you end up opening the doors and windows else sit around in your underwear .Now let me tell you two old grand parent types semi nude is not a pretty sight .

Cracker Boy

Fl cracker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Not sure allway found it in woods im sure years many of them

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Moving some chit around in the shop today, thinning some chit out and run across a box I had forgotten about. Just need to split it down into long, sliver pieces about 1/4" thick with either my Estwing Fireside Friend or X7...
IMG_2112.JPG

Cracker Boy

Fl cracker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Nice.my wife is allergic to pine couple weeks ago i had 2 chunks of lighter knot in garage i didnt put back outside after goin to mud races and she was in garage and came back in the house watery eyed sneezing and said you got pine in they garage again oops

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice.my wife is allergic to pine couple weeks ago i had 2 chunks of lighter knot in garage i didnt put back outside after goin to mud races and she was in garage and came back in the house watery eyed sneezing and said you got pine in they garage again oops
I'm thinking to keep the ol lady off your ass, find somewhere else to hoard the fat lighter. Probably work out best for you in the long run.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Depending on climate/area, it can take several yrs for a pine stump or pine logs on the ground to get to the 'fat lighter' stage, naturally...there's really no telling. I do know one thing, and I use it every single time I start a fire in my living room fireplace...it is the absolute best fire starter on the planet. Been using fat lighter for decades.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is the 'fat' just sap that settles into the lower parts of the trunk, and more volatile after the moisture dries away? Or does it chemically change over time? Something special about pine. or will other species also do this?

Thanks

Philbert

Cracker Boy

Fl cracker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Just pine as far as i know.like prev stated its best fire starter there is. natve indians and survivalist used have used it for ceturies i burns hot and fast.

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is the 'fat' just sap that settles into the lower parts of the trunk, and more volatile after the moisture dries away? Or does it chemically change over time? Something special about pine. or will other species also do this?

Thanks

Philbert

I believe it's just the sap that settles in the trunk. It also forms in the notches of branches too. I believe that there is also fir fatwood but fir trees are rare around here.

Chainganger

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Just pine as far as i know.like prev stated its best fire starter there is. natve indians and survivalist used have used it for ceturies i burns hot and fast.
Never knew!
I do know where there are some old pine stumps that I can investigate!

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Depending on climate/area, it can take several yrs for a pine stump or pine logs on the ground to get to the 'fat lighter' stage, naturally...there's really no telling. I do know one thing, and I use it every single time I start a fire in my living room fireplace...it is the absolute best fire starter on the planet. Been using fat lighter for decades.
Got any pics of that stuff laying out in the wild?
I need a mess of that...the $5.99 a sack @ Home Depot is getting old!!:icon_domokun:

Blackgreyhounds

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wife just made some fire starters from small paper cups (shot glass size), paraffin and chips from my jointer/planer. WOW! These are friggin' awesome. I love fatwood, but I don't have any on my property and it is expensive to purchase. These paraffin/wood chip cups are definitely as good, and dare I say better than fatwood.