High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Farmertec MS660 Chain adjuster Help.

cmcgowen

OPE Member
Local time
4:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I finished my first MS660 kit build. Everything went great except the chain adjuster. I bought an oem chain adjuster and it didnt fix the adjuster problem. It feels like the two gears are not meshing. I have heard guys shimming something but I dont know what they are shimming or what they are using. Please help.

Rob Stafari

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good morning and welcome to the site. Mine worked with the oem adjuster, but I've heard of the problem. Unfortunately I can't remember the fix off hand. I also can't remember who it was, but @MustangMike may be able to help as he has built and been running a few.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Each saw is different, but look at the gears and try to figure what needs to be done to get them to mesh right. Some of the AM large gears would not fit in the case, and I filed some of them down (insert in cordless drill and hold against a file).

Often the axel on the small gear needs to be shimmed, cut a small piece of flashing to do this. Make sure everything is greased so it does not wear and operates smoothly. Some of the threads on the bar adjusters are not lined up with the axle and need to be bent to operate smoothly, and a couple of times I had to put a flat washer under the large gear to get it to line up properly with the small gear.

Lube everything and work it back + forth a few times, then put the pieces in place and see if it works smoothly, and if not try to figure what does not look right. Always make sure that rubber washer is inside the large gear.

Often it is trial + error. Best of Luck with it. I was very pleased my most recent kit (w/blue covers) worked just fine, so perhaps they have finally addressed the problem (or I got lucky).

Also, if your AM and OEM gears are different sizes, try mixing and matching. Sometimes that also works. HL Supply sells some decent low cost gear sets.