Farmertec 290/390 cylinder bolts

BuckthornBonnie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As has been mentioned here and elsewhere, the Huztl/Farmertec cylinder threads and bolts are different from OEM stihl.
They're also hex, not Torx. (T27 for Stihl's).
My last two 1127s I used the Farmertec screws except for one hole that I slowly worked an OEM screw in.
So... what's right? Buy and use the AM screws that go in by hand? Or work in the OEM? I read of another poster tapping to oem thread... what tap?
Personal experience: on disassembly of AM bolts BE CAREFUL as the hex head is soft and can strip. I had to drill one out before.

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
both OEM and Farmertec are self tapping and the threads are meant to be different, so OEM and AM parts can be interchanged and still result in a tight connection
cylinders should NOT be tapped and power/pneumatic/battery tools should not be used
Dave

BuckthornBonnie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was thinking so, Dave. Thanks for the confirmation. Sad that I needed it despite sending an OEM screw into an AM cyl before--- just didn't wanna fight it on this build and second-guess while covered in Dirko.

IMG_2666.JPG
IMG_2664.JPG
AM cutoff, OEM whole

BuckthornBonnie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also an observation re: AM wrist pin bearings for this series. I've used two before but noticed this tonight:
IMG_2667.JPG
AM above. There's a fair amount of clearance around that pin. Probably fine, but different from this:
IMG_2668.JPG
I never looked at em closely before. Heck, I haven't checked any bearing w the pin (usually just inspect the needles). The OEM is used.

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I always use the oem screws in the Farmertec cylinders. They screw in tight but do go in. I've never broken one going in or out but I have broken the tip off a T-27 before and that's a big pain in the butt. I have some better bits now...

BuckthornBonnie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also want to clear up the oil seal retainer casting issue:
IMG_2669.JPG
3 cylinders above 1 AM, 1 029S, 1 ms290. AM-

IMG_2673.JPG
OEM 290 below:
IMG_2674.JPG

Last edited:

BuckthornBonnie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The OEM cylinders do not have two steps for the seal on the clutch side. So the AM casting is correct.

BuckthornBonnie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I always use the oem screws in the Farmertec cylinders. They screw in tight but do go in. I've never broken one going in or out but I have broken the tip off a T-27 before and that's a big pain in the butt. I have some better bits now...
Was hoping you'd post... thanks. I know you've done a ton of these with only one? failure. Cool stuff.

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have encountered these thing also....I always put dirko around my seals just as extra insureance....I use whatever case bolts I have on hand....I have had a hole that has been a little "striped"....I put a lot of red loctite on it, and it was solid as a rock a day or two later....

I will add I always use cheap eBay carbs, Pistons, etc....I have had great luck.....I have gotten a few "bad parts".....when you do enough like we have it will happen....here is what you do....take 3-5 clear pics of the problem, and send them a note and the pics threw eBay message.....they will get back with you and make it right, I have had 100% success rate like this, be polite it goes a long way.....I have had them re-send, seals, bearings, cylinder, a chainsaw bar that was bent.....I never lie to get a free part, I only want/deserve what I paid for!!!!

I know a lot of people don't like working on the ms170---ms390 clamshells, but I do....to me they ain't difficult and I really enjoy it....as @fearofpavement said before, I do t care if I sell them fast or not....they will eventually sell and I alsways have a saw around to use or let a close friend or relative use....