Farmer tec

Gary barton

OPE Member
Local time
4:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hey guys ,

So I built one of these clone 660 saws and now I think everybody should own one ....so that leads me to ask does anybody build and sell these things and is there a market?

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
8:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I dunno, read the threads, of all that's good and not so good about them.
Then look on eBay and other places.

I'm sure someone that's built one will give you there view..

Gary Courtney

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a chinese 070 that makes my poulan 2150 look like a beast running beside it. Bedford t 's advice to me was to learn how to tune it.o_O

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you got the Cross P+C with the 660 it likely runs stronger than a stock OEM 660.

If the buyer is made aware what it is, and the price is right, of course there will be a market. Even some pros just want to have a big saw for occasional use.

Do not expect OEM prices, and do not promise OEM reliability.

Last edited:

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I see them for sale online. Some are advertised as is some are dolled up to look like the real deal. My advice is total and absolute disclosure up front about what you are offering, so it doesn't come back to bite you. Also how you are going to handle when it comes back to you broken. This also should be discussed before hand so the person has a clear expectation of what's going to happen when a repair is needed. Cause at some point it will, everything does.
I thought this may be a good idea, I've since backed off of it. I put it to people this way... if they want me to build one I will, so far no one has asked.

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ive found with most aftermarket cylinders its such a gamble its hardly worth it. Yes there is big savings in parts cost but when labor is added to correct ports and inspect fitness it really balances out well byond a good used jug. Even after showing customers the issues ive even had some say put it on as is or they say give it to them and they will give bevels and a blessing to save the labor. I cringe all the way to first start up.

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are a crap load of them for sale on Craigslist in this greater area. Some say its aftermarket, some don't on their listings.
Cheating a redneck in this area is like asking for a butt whoopin pretty quick :D

67L36Driver

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve built two for clients who needed a large saw for occasional use. Both turned out real well with no issues. Time will tell.

$450, PHO, as a big expense is a 24”-36” bar/chain.

stihl saws

You can always justify another saw.
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'd have bad feelings about selling one of these. Even if you disclose that it's a copy, what happens when they resell it?
Or it quits for whatever reason and they take it to a dealer who refuses to work on it.

stihl saws

You can always justify another saw.
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Why would they take it to a dealer??? I would only sell one to someone who I know would call me first if there is a problem.
I would only do the same thing. There's just too many bad things that could happen for the op trying to build and market these.

sandmanxx

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If you got the Cross P+C with the 660 it likely runs stronger than a stock OEM 660.

If the buyer is made aware what it is, and the price is right, of course there will be a market. Even some pros just want to have a big saw for occasional use.

Do not expect OEM prices, and do not promise OEM reliability.

Whats Cross P+C ??

a. palmer jr.

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The problem is that most buyers want OEM equipment. Even a novice will soon learn the difference and might ask for a refund whether it runs well or not..

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never sell w/o full disclosure. Many people are happy to go with AM instead of OEM due to the (often) huge price difference, and a lot of AM stiff works just fine.

Meteor pistons are often 1/2 price of Stihl, and Huztl recoils are a fraction of the price and seem to work very well, even on 660s.

1990Husky262

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
the thing that i think of is liability issues, i would think if you sold a saw that was built out of parts the have never passed any of the safety certifications and somebody was to get hurt by it (even if the saw was not at fault) i would think you could be held responsible. Its one thing to build one for yourself to play around with, but to sell one i wouldn't

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh ffs, there's parts stores all over the country selling AM parts for automobiles that kill way more people than garden equipment. I don't recall having heard anyone being persecuted for repairing a car, let alone a chainsaw. After all the part was made for the saw, you didn't make it.