• Total voters

Tractorsaw1

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Like it means a good saw for the not in the know crowd. Guy at work ask if I have any saws for sale. What are you looking for size wise? Well were looking at the farmboss, Oh I don't have anything that good :) Better get the boss. Ha HA

Nitehawk55

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Don't have a pic handy but I have a hardly used 028 woodboss that I bought from the son of a fellow who was 90 last year . I bet it didn't see an hours use !

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have both. A lot of disparaging remarks can be found on any of the saw enthusiast forums regarding the 1127 series saws but I've been pretty impressed with them over the years. I've owned and used many different models and brands of saws and one can certainly do worse than an 029 0r 039. (and it's variants)

Homelite410

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stopped at Lowe's today and had to chuckle at the 455 Rancher for only $399.95, just like the Farm Boss next door at Rural King. Echo 590 has 'em beat in every way.
I'd take the 590 any day over the 455 or farmboss.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

longleaf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Stopped at Lowe's today and had to chuckle at the 455 Rancher for only $399.95, just like the Farm Boss next door at Rural King. Echo 590 has 'em beat in every way.
The local echo dealer bought a farm boss for the 590 to beat up on in a comparison test.

longleaf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have only run 1 028 woodboss. It was miserably slow. I’d rather have a Mac 10/10. I would begrudgingly go with the farmboss

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The sad fact of the matter is a Farmboss, Woodboss or Rancher would sell faster used than anything with Timberwolf written on it. With a Magnum sticker you can double the price & have folks fighting over it.

Viper21

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Are you suggesting it is a Ryobi?

Well, Popular Mechanics reviewed them last year. I don't know where they got a Solo, but the Stihl was $30 cheaper than the next cheapest, Husky Rancher, and the rest were priced up to over $700.

The Stihl was the only one with no complaints except the Echo CS-600-P to a tune of $190 more expensive than the Farm Boss. Also they always go in the $300 range on c-list and around $280 on ebay. The implication is a guy can get a new one and use it for 20 years and sell it for more than he paid for it. I'm thinking a 029-20 Farmboss was around $280 in 1991. My Father inlaw has had one since then and I've never known him not to use it.

gallery-1447784035-5-stihl-farm-boss.jpg

Engine Size: 56.5 CC

HP: 3.8

Bar Length: 20 inches

Weight: 17.4 pounds*

Fuel: 18.9 ounces

Air-Filter Access: Tool-free

Decompression Valve: No

Purge Bulb: No

Decibels (A-Scale): 111

Price: $370

The Farm Boss is Stihl's No. 1 selling saw, and you can see why. It's thoroughly engineered. Its manufacturer makes its own bar and chain, engine and most of the other components on the saw. Many saws today have an airflow pattern that takes out the worst of the debris before it gets anywhere near the air filter, but the Stihl is exemplary. It's amazing how clean its air filter stays. It seems that the company lavished attention on every square inch of the saw, from the crisply activated chain brake to the plastic retainer straps on the oil and gas caps to the caps themselves, which lock with a half-turn.

Dislikes: Nothing noted.

I live in a pretty rural area. Most everybody I associate with, burns wood to heat their homes. The MS 290 is by far the most common saw these guys are using in the woods to cut their firewood with. It's not even close.

The guys I'm friendly with, & or have cut with, all use a 290. The others, I run into, in the woods cutting their own firewood, 90% of em are using a 290.

There's a number of professional loggers around me too. One is my neighbor/buddy. He's a Stihl guy 100%. Although, he's using bigger, & more pro grade saws.

There's a number of places around where one can purchase a pro grade Stihl. Very few places where one could purchase a pro grade Husky. Tractor Supply, & Lowe's are only selling the pew pew saws, 440,455, 460, etc.. They sell a lot of 440's with 18" bars to guys who stuff em, & get disgruntled quickly. Same guy buys a 290, to replace his "inadequate husky" & feels like he's Mr. Chainsaw now. He's from here on out, a "Stihl Guy", & Husky Basher....:)

Someone has to have a pretty good interest to seek out further than the local, easily available offerings. I'm just a firewood cutter but, have been burning wood for 20+ yrs. As a contractor, I learned the difference between homeowner grade tools, & professional grade tools many years ago.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I live in a pretty rural area. Most everybody I associate with, burns wood to heat their homes. The MS 290 is by far the most common saw these guys are using in the woods to cut their firewood with. It's not even close.

The guys I'm friendly with, & or have cut with, all use a 290. The others, I run into, in the woods cutting their own firewood, 90% of em are using a 290.

There's a number of professional loggers around me too. One is my neighbor/buddy. He's a Stihl guy 100%. Although, he's using bigger, & more pro grade saws.

There's a number of places around where one can purchase a pro grade Stihl. Very few places where one could purchase a pro grade Husky. Tractor Supply, & Lowe's are only selling the pew pew saws, 440,455, 460, etc.. They sell a lot of 440's with 18" bars to guys who stuff em, & get disgruntled quickly. Same guy buys a 290, to replace his "inadequate husky" & feels like he's Mr. Chainsaw now. He's from here on out, a "Stihl Guy", & Husky Basher....:)

Someone has to have a pretty good interest to seek out further than the local, easily available offerings. I'm just a firewood cutter but, have been burning wood for 20+ yrs. As a contractor, I learned the difference between homeowner grade tools, & professional grade tools many years ago.

Lol I always thought my 290 was the *s-word since before I had clamshell Poulans. Then I got a Rancher 55 running and was converted lol.

Viper21

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Around here, Echo is very competitive with Stihl and Husky. I honestly think they have at least as many independent dealers as either of the former do.
I've never even seen an Echo chainsaw in person, let alone somebody using one...lol.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Alot of our small towns have only one OPE dealer, so everybody goes with whatever they sell by default. Same for tractors. Madison County has John Deere, Kubota, and New Holland so you almost never see anything else. There is a good possibility my dad's new 2706 is the only new MF machine anybody in our county has bought this year.

Last edited:

Viper21

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Alot of our small towns have only one OPE dealer, so everybody goes with whatever they sell by default. Same for tractors. Madison County has John Deere, Kubota, and New Holland so you almost never see anything else. There is a good possibility my dad's new 2706 is the only new MF machine anybody in our county has bought this year.
Tractors are different here. Lots of options. I personally have a JD but, people I associate with have about everything I've heard of, & several I haven't. Kubota is well represented in my area, & probably what I see most often. Though, I see Mahindra, Coyote, Case, MF, New Holland, & when it comes to the older tractors, there's plenty of stuff I've never heard of making noise, & blowing smoke all around :)