Who's Your Daddy...??

• Total voters

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
1:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
290 is a good saw once you hog out the muffler otherwise its a good paper weight.

Brush Ape

Direct Connection
Local time
1:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
setting: parking lot of giant ope dealer near me........

Setting inside Stihl Dealer downstate Land of Lincoln:

Jerry walks in and sets his one year-old MS290 Farmboss on the counter, hands the dealer $150 cash and walks out with a new Stihl MS 290, six pack of Ultra and related toolkit.
Brush Ape observes the old MS290 getting routine service and fired briefly then placed on the floor by the new saws for $325. While he discovers from a service manager that Jerry cuts firewood for a living and comes in every year to trade up for a new Farmboss, the store owner makes a phone call. The man who received the phone call arrives and buys Jerry's old saw.

Exit shop door stage left.

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
2:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are you suggesting it is a Ryobi?

Well, Popular Mechanics reviewed them last year. I don't know where they got a Solo, but the Stihl was $30 cheaper than the next cheapest, Husky Rancher, and the rest were priced up to over $700.

The Stihl was the only one with no complaints except the Echo CS-600-P to a tune of $190 more expensive than the Farm Boss. Also they always go in the $300 range on c-list and around $280 on ebay. The implication is a guy can get a new one and use it for 20 years and sell it for more than he paid for it. I'm thinking a 029-20 Farmboss was around $280 in 1991. My Father inlaw has had one since then and I've never known him not to use it.

gallery-1447784035-5-stihl-farm-boss.jpg

Engine Size: 56.5 CC

HP: 3.8

Bar Length: 20 inches

Weight: 17.4 pounds*

Fuel: 18.9 ounces

Air-Filter Access: Tool-free

Decompression Valve: No

Purge Bulb: No

Decibels (A-Scale): 111

Price: $370

The Farm Boss is Stihl's No. 1 selling saw, and you can see why. It's thoroughly engineered. Its manufacturer makes its own bar and chain, engine and most of the other components on the saw. Many saws today have an airflow pattern that takes out the worst of the debris before it gets anywhere near the air filter, but the Stihl is exemplary. It's amazing how clean its air filter stays. It seems that the company lavished attention on every square inch of the saw, from the crisply activated chain brake to the plastic retainer straps on the oil and gas caps to the caps themselves, which lock with a half-turn.

Dislikes: Nothing noted.

of course there are no dislikes IT'S A FARM BOSS!!!!!

Jughead

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
oh by the way.if you guys want to feel like the *s-word i have a really nice farm boss in the tradin post for sale.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That made me laugh When I bought a 290 about 8 years ago I wanted rsc and had to sign a form before I could buy it I thought he was kidding he wasn't next time I stop in I'll see what that was about.

Nitehawk55

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
farmboss - making the gullible believe they own a real Stihl since the invention of stupid little stickers

Using those names plus magnum sold a lot of extra saws for Stihl . When I was at the farm shows in the Stihl booth the farmers were always interested in the Farm Boss saw !

nnero

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks. It's my dads. He got it new in 1977ish. It was used to cut firewood that was the sole hears piece for two homes, regular dairy farm duty, and occasional logging for supplemental income. It was used this way until 2000 when it fell off the tractor and was run over. Rear handle air filter cover and clutch cover were crushed. Dad filled up the cylinder with oil and it sat under the bench until 2013. I got ebay parts and repainted it for Xmas. The 029 was used for 13 yrs until we got the 6100. It's sits around cause there's no real reason to use it but it looks nice haha.