Buy Used Saws CCC Ebay Store

Exmark Lazer Z X 60" vs Scag TT2 61"

Discussion in 'Mowers and More' started by 2000ssm6, May 26, 2019.

1. 2000ssm6

2000ssm6 Super OPE Member

I'm considering getting a 60" commercial mower. I've narrowed it down to the Lazer Z X series 60" with the FX921V Kawasaki and Scag TT2 61" with the B&S big block.

I'm pushed to the Lazer as we have one at work that has taken a beating, very impressive mower.

Prices are close and have good local dealers for either brand.

Onan18 and chipper1 like this.
  2. Larry B

Larry B Super OPE Member

I have a 36hp Briggs big block on my 60" Ferris mower. About 450 hours on it and zero issues. Not the new fuel injected, still has a carb.

huskyboy and 2000ssm6 like this.
  3. angelo c

angelo c Larger Member

Around here every lawn crew run xmarks (or Toro....). I have an x. Piss beatings are routine
    Never an issue. I had a scag that threw a rod on my. Later found out they dont like hills ? I dont have a level inch of cutting.

2000ssm6 and chipper1 like this.
  4. N8TE

N8TE Super OPE Member

Never played with a Scag but I hear they a great machines. I do have an Exmark, X series, with a 60" deck and a 29 hp Kawasaki. It's been a great mower..owned it for 7 years now

Onan18, 2000ssm6 and chipper1 like this.
  5. chipper1

chipper1 Here For The Long Haul!

I've got a 2013 lazer with a Kohler, great machine.
    I think she's at 2100+ hrs now.
    This is my 4th exmark and I'll most likely buy another one later this yr or next.
    Hard to go wrong with the model your considering set up with the kawi.

Onan18 and 2000ssm6 like this.
  6. alleyyooper

alleyyooper Super OPE Member

I have a 2015 ExMark Pioneer one step down from the lazer Z it had 2522 hours on it Thursday. Rain and the week end has held me up. Mine has the Kholer 750 engine. fill it with fuel and keep the oil changed.

:D Al

Onan18, 2000ssm6 and chipper1 like this.
  7. Stonehillfarm

Stonehillfarm Active OPE Member

You really can't go wrong with either one. Big block Briggs is an awesome engine. I have owned owned both of them as well as Kubota and Ferris. I like the seating position of the exmarks and Toro. The Scag had a lower seat height and like a go cart feel to it. They are all built with basically the same parts so go more on what feels better to you and what dealer is better to work with.

2000ssm6 likes this.
  8. 2000ssm6

Great info all, makes me feel better about dropping that kind of $$$ on a mower.

Onan18 and chipper1 like this.
  9. alleyyooper

alleyyooper Super OPE Member

I were to get a new one I would request a fully 4-wheel suspension system reduces vibration to the chassis and operator, Cobalt.
    500 hour oil changes on the vanguard engine.

But if the suspention didn't do for a bettewr ride I would go with a ExMark.

:D Al

Onan18 likes this.
  10. Larry B

Larry B Super OPE Member

I have a ferris 3100z with 4 wheel suspension. There really isn't any comparison to a ztr without suspension. Some machines have pivoting front axles and some have front suspension but they really aren't close to the big ferris mowers. If you plan to mow rough terrain (moles!) and ride comfort is important look for 4 wheel suspension. SCAG is close but i think the big ferris's are better. The exmark will cut nicer but not as comfortable. Of course they all put cup holders on their ztr's. Useless for my beer.

Dub11 and chipper1 like this.
  11. Stevetheboatguy

Stevetheboatguy Pinnacle OPE Member

I didn't have anything else to compare against when I bought our scag. But my wife says it's the best thing I've ever bought. Ours is a '16? I believe last year before the tt2. Has a efi kohler and it's a beast. And the above post about it feeling like a gocart is 100%. It sits low and for us low is a good thing. We have one steep ditch (hills haven't been a problem at all either) and a handful of apple trees to mow around. Foldable rops are a plus, but I think they all have that.

Probably doesn't matter what brand they are all pretty highly recommended for quality. Go with whatever fits you best.

Almost forgot. Full suspension seat is awesome! Never tried a feris but would like to try one side by side with a scag. See if the suspension on all fours is everything they say it is. It may be. I'm just happy with what I have.

Steven

chipper1 likes this.
  12. BGE541

BGE541 Super OPE Member

PMd you

chipper1 likes this.
  13. BGE541

BGE541 Super OPE Member

I would steer away from the bigger Briggs and go with a Kawi, the Kohler’s are good but for the size the FI ones seem to lack torque especially when under load. They are quiet though...

chipper1 likes this.
  14. Larry B

Larry B Super OPE Member

The Kaw and Briggs in my opinion are better than any of the new Kohler stuff. And if it has the word Courage on it run away fast.
    The only problem i see on a consistent basis in Briggs twins with the Niki 2 barrel carb is the jet o rings going bad. And the occasional coil. I see lots of Kohlers with carb, ignition and head gasket probs. Don't see a lot of Kawasaki other than the usual carb issues from fuel.

chipper1 and Dub11 like this.
  15. Onan18

Onan18 OPE Sponsor

I would go with the exmark for the simplicity and ease of maintenance. And I am not just saying that as an exmark dealer, I am saying that as an exmark owner. I have a 2001 Lazer Z 60 with the 25 HP Kohler, going to break 4000 hours this year and it has been flawless.

Have you seen the 60" Rear Discharge Lazer yet? My next mower. :babeando:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    BGE541 likes this.
  16. 2000ssm6

I like the idea of a rear discharge, more so around structures and vehicles. Don't know if I can get away from side discharge though, its all I've ever used.

Still no decision yet, not much rain this year so far. May run the JD 790/finish mower until next season.

17. Spike60

Spike60 Here For The Long Haul!

35 HP Kohler 940cc E-gov on the Lazer X has no match.

Onan18 likes this.
  18. N8TE

N8TE Super OPE Member

Rear discharge is nice if it's windy as well...keeps the grass off of you. Unless you mow real often though, I don't feel like they leave as nice of a looking job

Onan18 and Roadfxr like this.
  19. blades

blades Well-Known OPE Member

Reports I' ve read have not been kind to scag as of late- constant repairs.

20. dustinwilt68

dustinwilt68 Stihls are for selling, huskies do the work

I bought a brand new Exmark Radius X 48" and I opted for the OCD operator controlled discharge, saves from paying for dent repairs and such, cost was an additional $400.00ish with the jack to lift the machine, my total came in at just over $8000.00 for it, this is the closest machine they make to the lazer on the market currently, and I was hesitant to spend that kind of money, mine has the Kawasaki motor with the Donaldson air filter setup, I looked at the scaggs also but opted for the Exmark, it had a few features that makes it easier to work on, like the foot panel is removable to get to the belts and pulleys and the Scag wasn't. Small things but it mattered to me as I plan to keep it for a long time. Recently Shot booth cows (wasn't planning on it) so I now have more to mow then I planned, but it has done the job beautifully. The lazer does come w a few better things but the Radius X has done great for me. I love the suspension seat!