High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

eXmark electrical problems

Driver.James

Active OPE Member
Local time
2:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I have an old Lazer Z, model# LZ27LKA724.

27hp Kawasaki Liquid Cooled FD750.

Today, I replaced the fuel tank selector/shut-off valve with a "T" because it was leaking. I didn't disconnect any of the connections or linkage when I removed the control panel. For some odd reason, now it's missing on one cylinder and shuts off when I try to release the parking brake or engage the PTO. Naturally, I went to where I THOUGHT the fault would be (bad seat safety switch). I checked the switch and chased the circuit. It's working fine.

Anybody else ever had this problem? I know Kawasakis are bad for sticking valves, so I removed the valve cover and checked those. The valves are free and operating properly.

It ran fine before I removed the control panel and replaced the fuel control valve.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
1:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welcome to the nut house!
@Onan18 Joe would know.

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Check the interlock modgule, you may have accidentally pulled the wires loose when you had the panal off. Also, it could be a faulty key switch and when you had the panal off something fell out of place.

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Screenshot_20181015-214930.jpg

Interlock modgule is number 38 on the schematic.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Check the interlock modgule, you may have accidentally pulled the wires loose when you had the panal off. Also, it could be a faulty key switch and when you had the panal off something fell out of place.

You the man Joe!

Driver.James

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks for the help folks! I'll check the interlock module tomorrow... been running errands today.

Y'all don't know how much this helps. I just landed a 38 acre contract... and I REALLY need my 72".

I don't know what caused it to start missing on the right cylinder... but when I fired it up a few minutes ago, it was firing on both. As much as I love my Kawasakis... they sure are temperamental sometimes. This makes the third motor to pickup a steady miss for no apparent reason.

Funny thing is, they're supposedly known for doing it in really wet weather (condensation in the harness)... but today was worse than yesterday, and it fired right up [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If one of the transformer coils gets wet it will quit firing until you dry it out. Never did like those external coils for that reason.

Last edited:

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the help folks! I'll check the interlock module tomorrow... been running errands today.

Y'all don't know how much this helps. I just landed a 38 acre contract... and I REALLY need my 72".

I don't know what caused it to start missing on the right cylinder... but when I fired it up a few minutes ago, it was firing on both. As much as I love my Kawasakis... they sure are temperamental sometimes. This makes the third motor to pickup a steady miss for no apparent reason.

Funny thing is, they're supposedly known for doing it in really wet weather (condensation in the harness)... but today was worse than yesterday, and it fired right up [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Any updates?

Driver.James

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Any updates?
I replaced the switch again, and the second replacement resolved the problem... for the time being.

I lost the 30+ acre contract. Underneath the 3-4ft tall grass, was 30 acres of rock outcroppings. Needless to say, it wasn't a candidate for finish mowing. The new owners were fed up with my downtime after my flail mower found 40ft of discarded fence, and the rotary brush hog broke three times on rocks. Feeling sure they could do it themselves more cost effectively, the relieved me of the contract, saying "we're buying a tractor and doing it ourself".

It's been nearly a year. The property has yet to be cut, and I haven't seen/heard their new M series Kubota with new 6ft rotary cutter (they live less than a mile away).

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I replaced the switch again, and the second replacement resolved the problem... for the time being.

I lost the 30+ acre contract. Underneath the 3-4ft tall grass, was 30 acres of rock outcroppings. Needless to say, it wasn't a candidate for finish mowing. The new owners were fed up with my downtime after my flail mower found 40ft of discarded fence, and the rotary brush hog broke three times on rocks. Feeling sure they could do it themselves more cost effectively, the relieved me of the contract, saying "we're buying a tractor and doing it ourself".

It's been nearly a year. The property has yet to be cut, and I haven't seen/heard their new M series Kubota with new 6ft rotary cutter (they live less than a mile away).

You say loss I saw catastrophe avoided!

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Indeed. Finally spoke with their son a few months ago. They broke their Bush hog six times, the tractor once, and damned near totaled the who rig.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Yikes!!!!

Sounds like they should of hit it with a D8

Driver.James

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yikes!!!!

Sounds like they should of hit it with a D8
Definitely. The property is amazing... but it definitely needs a bull blade and some finish work to boot.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Indeed. Finally spoke with their son a few months ago. They broke their Bush hog six times, the tractor once, and damned near totaled the who rig.

They were fed up with your downtime, huh? Safe to say they are enjoying their own downtime even less now that they have to pay for the broken stuff. :)

Lcfd1124

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Lcfd1124

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can feel the exhaust pipes while the engine is running. The cold one obviously is the dead cylinder, Kawasaki is notorious for bad coils and valve troubles. It's a good idea to replace them in pairs if that's the problem. Also check the brake safety switch, usually a switch problem doesnt cause it to run on 1 cylinder