High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Exhaust bolts, muffler to cylinder, locktite?

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Aha,I see said the blind man as he picked up a hammer and saw .Those muffler bolts going through a sheet metal muffler never get tight enough to draw the bolt to the yield point .That's why they rattle loose .

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Aha,I see said the blind man as he picked up a hammer and saw .Those muffler bolts going through a sheet metal muffler never get tight enough to draw the bolt to the yield point .That's why they rattle loose .
Maybe there are long spacers inside to keep the torque?

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Okay now I am being a smart azz ,bolt theory 101 .Believe it or not a bolt being an inclined plane around the circumferance of a cylinder is in reality a spring .As such the threads act the same way as the coils of an extension spring relating to coil load in a spring .Once the bolt is tightened to the yield point which is it's near capacity of elasticity it can't back out ,it's under tension .Past that point it's past it's elastic capabilities and won't recover to it's original shape like an over stretched spring .Righty tighty,lefty loosey .

redoakneck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Maybe there are long spacers inside to keep the torque?
Yes they are long spacers, like a pipe. I did have to drill the entire length of those spacers to get the bigger 6mm diameter bolt thru. I cranked them pretty tight too. The 4 times the diameter for aluminum threaded holes not true, those threads are probably 15mm long??, should be 24??

I'll find out this weekend, if it all fails then I'll take advantage of huskys new pricing for p/c kits!!!??? Really think this should work.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can't remember off hand I think the saws I have with a muffler that bolts on like that have retainers .Off the top of my head it might be a 2100 Husky ,Mac /Partner p100 and maybe a 281 Huskey .I know the Mac /Partner at one time had hex heads ,one got lost and now it's socket heads .Lawdy it's getting to the point I can't remember what goes with what .

redoakneck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I know the 2100cd husky has hex bolts with a retainer. Evidence that this can be a problem with these bolts. I like the old school 088, just a snap spring with side keepers, pretty slick!!

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 4 times the diameter for aluminum threaded holes not true, those threads are probably 15mm long??, should be 24??

I'll find out this weekend, if it all fails then I'll take advantage of huskys new pricing for p/c kits!!!??? Really think this should work.
Read what I said again.I said to get maximum holding power .at least 4 times .It's a muffler not a main bearing cap bolt . .

redoakneck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Read what I said again.I said to get maximum holding power .at least 4 times .It's a muffler not a main bearing cap bolt . .

Definitely not a main bolt bearing cap!!! I did read and comprehend, and was trying to make the point that maximum holding capacity will not be achieved with the dimensions of this situation. I did not, however, word it clearly to make that point.

...I do, however, have the most expensive muffler bolts possible, which is just stupid!!!

panteliss

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
For striped holes no loctite, no rtv , no teflon work
first solution is to use some of theese helicoils , thread coils , timeserts , etc,etc
second solution is to fill the hole with aluminum using a welder stick electrode or Tig if you have and drill and tap a new hole
simple bolts example M 5x08 threads or M6x1 threads will not work well because they grinding again the alu when you tight them
you need special screws for this job are similar like the self taping screws

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
And the final answer is make studs, drive em into the jug,oh yeah with a Lil jb weld. Install spacers into the muffler and lock that mofo down with aircraft saftey nuts no not nylock nut. Aircraft safety nuts

redoakneck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The more options the better, the re-tapping seemed pretty darn tight. We will see!!!!

Great ideas!!! Thanks

panteliss

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
if you have place use theese timeserts or helicoils , if not use the welder , just after you finish cover the cylinder with something for cold slow then retaped a new thread

redoakneck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
if you have place use theese timeserts or helicoils , if not use the welder , just after you finish cover the cylinder with something for cold slow then retaped a new thread

I will see how my current fix holds up!!!

May try that if it fails

redoakneck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
And the final answer is make studs, drive em into the jug,oh yeah with a Lil jb weld. Install spacers into the muffler and lock that mofo down with aircraft saftey nuts no not nylock nut. Aircraft safety nuts

That would be the final answer!!! Where does one obtain these plane nuts???

Last time I was on a plane removing fasteners these uniformed dudes kicked my azz and asked a bunch of questions!!! They even spilt ma beer and didn't got me new one!!!

Zombiechopper

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The more options the better, the re-tapping seemed pretty darn tight. We will see!!!!

Great ideas!!! Thanks

you fixed it right. There's lotsa ways to skin this cat but you already got him. You should polish those bolt heads. Put a shine on that fancy bling hardware

redoakneck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
you fixed it right. There's lotsa ways to skin this cat but you already got him. You should polish those bolt heads. Put a shine on that fancy bling hardware
Dude, those things are obnoxious on a saw!!! Prolly squirt some black grill paint on them.!!!

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It sucks to pay 7 bucks for one freakin little bolt but some times ya gotta do .

I took the liberty of researching some things at work on the net today .From Mcmaster -Carr socket head M6 90 1.0 spacing 12.9 hardness 1.0 25 per package $11.69 item 9150A182 .
M6 90 1.0 socket head stainless 5 per package 92280A346 $9.00 ---I personaly think stainless is only good for high corrosion stuff or cosmetic appearances but to each their own on that .

M6 90 hex head 8.9 hardness around 13 bucks for 50 Fleabay. For those who don't know metric 8.9 is about like SAE grade 5 and 12.9 SAE grade 8 more or less .

You can find about any bolt made through McMaster Carr but the web site sucks .It helps to have the big thick book .The stock numbers have never changed although the price has .I can order stuff 7 and 24 .If I phone it in tonight more often than not I get it the next day ,no more than two. Only on rare occasion is that not true .

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
That would be the final answer!!! Where does one obtain these plane nuts???

Last time I was on a plane removing fasteners these uniformed dudes kicked my azz and asked a bunch of questions!!! They even spilt ma beer and didn't got me new one!!!
The aircraft nuts are a pinch thread nut. Fastenal should also carry them