Everything about Reloading.

amberg

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
View attachment 35622

It's a old picture, I'll try to get a better one. But SRB08 has it.

I like it because if you use Forester or Sinclair's lock rings, once you set the rings you can just slide the die in and out and it'll always be adjusted right.

Because the die is "floating" it's supposed to produce some of the most concentric ammo out of any press.
But after hearing interviews with Robin Sharpless from Redding, he says the T-7 will make some of the most concentric ammo:facepalm:

Pick your color, Red, Green (any shade) or Blue. They all claim to be the best.

You guys are way more better than my measly little setup. ( I am impressed )

Dingeryote

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I think for concentricity, the Co-Ax is probably better than the solid frame presses. I haven't had the opportunity to compare run out on the two but it seems to me the floating die would offer an advantage.
It would be interesting to do see comparative data on the Co-Ax, O frame, Arbor and Lee whack a Mole.

What method do you use for cleaning brass?

Back when it was still in print, the geeks at Precision shooting Mag. did a shootout between a RCBS Rock crusher, Lyman Orange crusher, Hornady 007, and the double compound Redding old model, and Forster Co-Ax.

The results were interesting.
All of the "O" frame presses had some troubling ram deflection, some more than others.
IIRC the Hornady won, and probably because of the shorter and larger dia. Ram. The deflection of the Rockchucker and Lyman were remarkable, and IIRC ,was surmised that Machine tolerances were to blame.

The Co-Ax and Redding had much less deflection. The Redding because of it's centerline , and the Co-Ax from essentially being centerless.

The Co-Ax and Redding were neck in neck, all the way to runout on the finished cases, and the Redding won out overall.

It's been like 20 years, but I'd bet it's in the PS archives.
Dadgum shame PS had to fade. Every edition was a treasure trove of precision Geek goodness, and wildcattery gone silly.

amberg

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Any of you guys using this powder for shot guns? I have loaded about 800 shells with it so far and had good luck with it. Nobel sport Vectan Gm 3

Attachments

• 100_0813.JPG
    100_0813.JPG
    172.2 KB · Views: 16

Genius

First member of ASlite to receive a infraction
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think for concentricity, the Co-Ax is probably better than the solid frame presses. I haven't had the opportunity to compare run out on the two but it seems to me the floating die would offer an advantage.
It would be interesting to do see comparative data on the Co-Ax, O frame, Arbor and Lee whack a Mole.

What method do you use for cleaning brass?

I'm old school.

Just a vibratory cleaner with walnut media.

I'd like to get a SS pin tumbler some day

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
4:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm old school.

Just a vibratory cleaner with walnut media.hat

I'd like to get a SS pin tumbler some day
I used vibratory tumblers for years. I still have a big Dillon 2001 and medium Thumler 18. I got tired of the dust and media everywhere, even when using the large Dillon media separator.
Last year I decided to try wet cleaning. I haven't used either of the vibratory machines since.
I don't use the pins, just a little Dawn and Lemishime, with hot water.
I was amazed at the difference in the brass. Except for a little residue in the primer pockets, it looks new.
I got the cheap Frankford Arsenal kit that came with the tumbler, dryer, pins and magnetic separator. I didn't want to spend a bunch and find out I didn't like it. I dump the brass in the laundry sink to rinse, then into the dryer. No mess at all. When not in use, it's stored under the sink.
image.jpg

Last edited:

Genius

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used vibratory tumblers for years. I still have a big Dillon 2001 and medium Thumler 18. I got tired of the dust and media everywhere, even when using the large Dillon media separator.
Last year I decided to try wet cleaning. I haven't used either of the vibratory machines since.
I don't use the pins, just a little Dawn and Lemishime, with hot water.
I was amazed at the difference in the brass. Except for a little residue in the primer pockets, it looks new.
I got the cheap Frankfort Arsenal kit that came with the tumbler, dryer, pins and magnetic separator. I didn't want to spend a bunch and find out I didn't like it. I dump the brass in the laundry sink to rinse, then into the dryer. No mess at all. When not in use, it's stored under the sink.
View attachment 35655

I've been eyeing that FA tumbler. It's priced right.

I assume it's been holding up fine for you?

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been eyeing that FA tumbler. It's priced right.

I assume it's been holding up fine for you?
Yes.
Like everything today, it has more plastic than I would like but so far, so good.
The drum is lined with thick rubber, so it's reasonably quiet.
It doesn't have the capacity of the big Dillon but the trade off in mess is worth it, at least to me.

Genius

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes.
Like everything today, it has more plastic than I would like but so far, so good.
The drum is lined with thick rubber, so it's reasonably quiet.
It doesn't have the capacity of the big Dillon but the trade off in mess is worth it, at least to me.

How does the magnet work on SS pins? The pins must not be SS if they are magnetic. Or have you never used the pins?

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
High grade stainless can be magnetic. Just depends on the alloy makeup

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How does the magnet work on SS pins? The pins must not be SS if they are magnetic. Or have you never used the pins?
I've never used the pins. They're still in the sealed package.
As said above, not all stainless is non-magnetic.

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A 10ga press would be fun as my Wife's cousin has a Browning 10ga (either BPS or semi-auto) and it would be fun to roll up some healthy lead shot rounds for upland game, just because.
I've done that. You would be amazed at the carnage, when a rising pheasant is hit with 2 oz of #7 1/2's at 15 yds. It literally looks like someone shot a feather pillow. When loaded with 4's, they're pretty effective on high flying Prairie Chickens.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm on red dot for basically all my loads. I just have a mec single stage it's older than the mec jr but god it's loaded shells it's set up in a barn at work I go in there when it's cold

amberg

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What's ur recipe

Rem. and Win. hulls, CB8118-12 wad, Noble sport or cheddite primers, 1 1/8oz. shot. 1250 fps. From ballistics products.

They use Rem. and Win. primers for these hulls. I think the NS primers can be used in place of the Win. primers.

edit, about 20.1 grains, as with my MEC bushing #30, verify with a scale.

Last edited:

LittleLebowski

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have a 550 and an RCBS Jr2. I learned on the 550, wasn't that bad.

IMG_0548_zps7oy8hlcy.jpg

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Palmetto state armory has some good deals in their clearance section on reloading supplies this week check it out.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sellier and bellot primers is sometimes on sale at cabelas 20.00 per 1000 with free shipping i bought 5000 and my threegun friend bought 5000 for his competition ar great stuff nearly half price of everything else check them out .

Last edited: