Everything about Reloading.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
1:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You boys have any luck finding powder? I use red dot quite a bit on shells when I get into it. I usually load up 500 or so rounds then do it again when I run low. Had a hella time getting anything last year has that changed any?

Genius

First member of ASlite to receive a infraction
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You boys have any luck finding powder? I use red dot quite a bit on shells when I get into it. I usually load up 500 or so rounds then do it again when I run low. Had a hella time getting anything last year has that changed any?

I haven't had to buy powder for quite some time. Although the last time I was at Our local cablelas their shells were very well stocked.

Genius

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I need to find someone within a reasonable commuting distance, who wouldn't mind providing a bit of OJT before I buy a press to see the ins and outs and decide what to buy.

If you have any questions shoot me a PM and ask away.

When I ordered my Dillon I called Brian Enos. That guy was extreamly helpful, but I believe he quit selling Dillon a month or so back.
His website was extreamly helpful as to what to get and what not to get.

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Powder hasn't been a problem, but primers have been in the past. Things have mostly recovered in my area after everyone made a run on ammo.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
12:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
We've got lead molds for most of the handgun rounds we fire in a few flavors, RN, SWC, TC, etc. I'm trying to stock up on primers and powder now, along with any jacketed or monolithic bullets (GMX, TTSX, etc) that I might need for .243, .308 and .323.

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The powder situation has eased. Some places have it on sale now.
It's hit and miss on some flavors but nothing like last year.
I'd start slowly stocking up now.

Genius

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The powder situation has eased. Some places have it on sale now.
It's hit and miss on some flavors but nothing like last year.
I'd start slowly stocking up now.

I did it all Bass Ackwards.

I have not bought any powder or primers since 13'..... I am sitting on almost 100# of Varget along with a chitload of 335. I also have a ton of primers.
I was always able to find Varget, 335 and primers for prior Sandy Hook prices so I'd snag a few bricks of primers and a 8# jug of powder everytime I visited my local reloading store.

Its been over 2 years since Ive been into our local reloading store. (I dont consider Cabelas my LRS)

The powder I am starting to run low on and haven't seen around is IMR 4064 and Power Pistol.

I wish I had bought 4064 instead of Varget....

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's a pic of my little Rat hole.
Not shown in the pic are, a Redding T7 turret press, two Hydraulic MEC loaders and two MEC 700's.
I have the Dillon's because I'm lazy and don't like changing primer feeds on the 550's. The SDB's are for loads in .45acp and 9mm that I shoot buckets of.
When we built our house, I planned on this room being 400 sq ft. After my wife got through whittling it down, what you see is what I was left with.
I do a lot of swapping out machines.

image.jpg

Genius

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not shown in the pic are, a Redding T7 turret press, two Hydraulic MEC loaders and two MEC 700's.
I have the Dillon's because I'm lazy and don't like changing primer feeds on the 550's. The SDB's are for loads in .45acp and 9mm that I shoot buckets of.
When we built our house, I planned on this room being 400 sq ft. After my wife got through whittling it down, what you see is what I was left with.

View attachment 35588

How do you like the T-7?

At times I consider getting one. But having a CO/AX, I am not sure it'd be worth getting one...

I hear you on the not liking to change out primer feeds on the 550.

Genius

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

View attachment 35588

So how much quicker is a SDB over a 550? A SDB is on my bucket list for 40 and 9, but I am not sure it'd be much of a time saving.

OR.... Because I also hate changing primer feeds, maybe I should get a SDB for 45 for LPP seeing everything else I load on my 550 is SPP besides 45.

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I have not bought any powder or primers since 13'..... I am sitting on almost 100# of Varget along with a chitload of 335. I also have a ton of primers.
I was always able to find Varget, 335 and primers for prior Sandy Hook prices so I'd snag a few bricks of primers and a 8# jug of powder everytime I visited my local reloading store.

Its been over 2 years since Ive been into our local reloading store. (I dont consider Cabelas my LRS)

The powder I am starting to run low on and haven't seen around is IMR 4064 and Power Pistol.

Check Graf & Sons in Mexico Mo. I recently bought 4064 and Power pistol there.
I buy it at the store but it's been available on the website as well.

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So how much quicker is a SDB over a 550? A SDB is on my bucket list for 40 and 9, but I am not sure it'd be much of a time saving.

OR.... Because I also hate changing primer feeds, maybe I should get a SDB for 45 for LPP seeing everything else I load on my 550 is SPP besides 45.
The SDB is no faster. They're also a lot more finicky. If you don't keep them squeaky clean and Lubed with graphite, they can be problematic.
When running smoothly, they're a decent machine.
I bought my first one when I only had one 550 and didn't like changing primer feeds. The second one I got when a friend got pissed and replaced it with a 1050.
He was throwing it away. I had to replace some parts but got it running again.
I don't feel handicapped at all, not having auto index on the 550's.

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How do you like the T-7?

At times I consider getting one. But having a CO/AX, I am not sure it'd be worth getting one...

I hear you on the not liking to change out primer feeds on the 550.
I like the T7 but if you have a Co-Ax you don't really need one.
I'm the same way with a Co-Ax. I have the T7 and can't convince myself I need a Co-Ax. Although I really want one.

Genius

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The SDB is no faster. They're also a lot more finicky. If you don't keep them squeaky clean and Lubed with graphite, they can be problematic.
When running smoothly, they're a decent machine.
I bought my first one when I only had one 550 and didn't like changing primer feeds. The second one I got when a friend got pissed and replaced it with a 1050.
He was throwing it away. I had to replace some parts but got it running again.
I don't feel handicapped at all, not having auto index on the 550's.

That's my thinking on the SDB and why I haven't purchased one yet. I think I'd be better off getting a second 550 seeing I've got all the conversation kits already...

I'm pretty sure between you and Dingeryote, you two were the ines to convince me to go Blue over Red.

I'm the same way with a Co-Ax. I have the T7 and can't convince myself I need a Co-Ax. Although I really want one.

The CO/AX is so quick to change dies that I just can't quite see the benefit of getting a T-7.

Now if my single stage press was a Rock Chucker type press where you had to thread a die in each time. Then I'd probably jump balls deep into a T7

amberg

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

View attachment 35588

Very nice setup I love it! :cool:

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

We have a good supply of 4064, 4350, 4831, Reddot, 2400, HP38, Varget, Alliant True Blue, W231, 'Lil-gun and others. What's almost impossible right now is Hodgdon Long shot, which is becoming a favorite for trap and warm clays/bird loads and one other which is slipping my mind right now.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a Co-Ax? I'm assuming co-axial press of some sort but I'm not sure what.

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Forgive my ignorance, but what is a Co-Ax? I'm assuming co-axial press of some sort but I'm not sure what.
Bonanza/Forester Co-Ax press.
No shell holders needed, it uses clamping jaws.
The dies slide into the press, supported by the locking ring, instead of being screwed in.
Nice piece of equipment.

image.jpg

Genius

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We have a good supply of 4064, 4350, 4831, Reddot, 2400, HP38, Varget, Alliant True Blue, W231, 'Lil-gun and others. What's almost impossible right now is Hodgdon Long shot, which is becoming a favorite for trap and warm clays/bird loads and one other which is slipping my mind right now.

image.jpeg

It's a old picture, I'll try to get a better one. But SRB08 has it.

I like it because if you use Forester or Sinclair's lock rings, once you set the rings you can just slide the die in and out and it'll always be adjusted right.

Because the die is "floating" it's supposed to produce some of the most concentric ammo out of any press.
But after hearing interviews with Robin Sharpless from Redding, he says the T-7 will make some of the most concentric ammo:facepalm:

Pick your color, Red, Green (any shade) or Blue. They all claim to be the best.

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 35622

It's a old picture, I'll try to get a better one. But SRB08 has it.

I like it because if you use Forester or Sinclair's lock rings, once you set the rings you can just slide the die in and out and it'll always be adjusted right.

Because the die is "floating" it's supposed to produce some of the most concentric ammo out of any press.
But after hearing interviews with Robin Sharpless from Redding, he says the T-7 will make some of the most concentric ammo:facepalm:

Pick your color, Red, Green (any shade) or Blue. They all claim to be the best.

I think for concentricity, the Co-Ax is probably better than the solid frame presses. I haven't had the opportunity to compare run out on the two but it seems to me the floating die would offer an advantage.
It would be interesting to do see comparative data on the Co-Ax, O frame, Arbor and Lee whack a Mole.

What method do you use for cleaning brass?