Everyday day man's tree work and cutting thread

grizz55chev

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Working on fort Ross road, a coast road above Cazadero. Downed sudden oak death tan oak cleanup.View attachment 163534
Snow on the coast, pretty rare event. Love your area, spent my early summers there as my family had a cabin at Villa Grand between Duncan Mills and Monte Rio. Did a lot of swimming on Austin Creek, clean, cold water and a great rope swing across from the National Forest Office. Great memories of the nort coast!

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Snow on the coast, pretty rare event. Love your area, spent my early summers there as my family had a cabin at Villa Grand between Duncan Mills and Monte Rio. Did a lot of swimming on Austin Creek, clean, cold water and a great rope swing across from the National Forest Office. Great memories of the nort coast!

Drove in a snowstorm from Fort Bragg up to Eureka one night, was very errie driving through the Redwoods with huge plops of snow falling off the upper limbs onto the hood of the ole Camero.

grizz55chev

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This one did. I gots 19 cord out of it.
Hooray 288 !View attachment 164008
My cousin had one similar to yours, we cut the branches for firewood, milled the rest with an Alaskan mill, I’ll look through my pics and see if I can post the process. Used a 064 Stihl and an 044 Stihl, took us the better part of a week, the mill was a 36” granberg. We had to trim the sides of the trunk to make it fit. Made some pretty slabs!

grizz55chev

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I noodled the whole tree onsite- trailered it home.
Noodling is by far easier than milling, if you’ve ever spent a day with an Alaskan mill, I’m sure you’d agree. Most of the slabs we did were in the 34” wide by 10’ long dimension, took my cousins JD tractor to lift them as they were green,the tree was a blow down.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
8:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
7.5' X 2' X 2" Red Oak makes for a darn heavy slab, but I don't have any equipment to move em, often just move em onto a round and roll them like the Egyptians moved the stones. Once I get one end in the trailer, they slide. I usually have to work alone on them.