Ever seen one of these?

jjdlc

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used to have one of these that I picked up at a yard sale, I loaned it to my uncle and never got it back. I never really thought much of it back then, but I had never seen another one till now. I got this from a lady that i helped clean out her shed this weekend. That confirms to me they were manufactured and sold, but there are absolutely no manufacturing marks on either of the ones I’ve seen. Just wondering if anyone had any info on who made these, and when they were sold? I’m going to have to work a handle for it, the hole is too small for a standard double bit axe handle.

399CCB18-BAE0-4FD0-95B6-AD7CFEE48226.jpeg

Spladle160

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
7:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Call me dumb but I'm not sure I get the intent behind the design. Are the flip out pieces on both sides? What are they supposed to do?

jjdlc

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Call me dumb but I'm not sure I get the intent behind the design. Are the flip out pieces on both sides? What are they supposed to do?

It’s a splitting axe, yes, the flippers are on both sides. When it enters the wood, they swivel out, pushing it apart. I’ve seen similar designs, but not exactly like this.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They tried to sell them about 35-40 years ago .I don't think they were hot sellers .

Spladle160

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can imagine why they weren't great sellers.

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've seen them at swap meets, but I've heard they don't work well either.

brushwacker

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought or traded for a used 1 back in the early to mid 1980's from a firewood dealer i used to wholesale to. He must of not liked it either.
In sticky wood it wouldn't make it to the levers and would get stuck in the wood. In crisp or frozen wood, the levers would cause the wood to fly dangerously in 2 directions . I didn't use mine long and if i remember right sold it for $20, half what i paid for it. I think they have or had a discussion on the other forum and they do or did have collectors value.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a single sided one a guy gave me. Works in some stuff but I don’t remember what. I currently use a fiskars but am working on copying @Wilhelm Dragon Slayer :D

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've used one, not any better than a plain 8 lb splitten maul. There is one of those fancy mauls for sale local, the guy wants 200 bucks for it!

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
12:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've used one, not any better than a plain 8 lb splitten maul. There is one of those fancy mauls for sale local, the guy wants 200 bucks for it!
Mauls are too heavy IMHO.
Weight is a poor supplement for superior design.

I have a single sided one a guy gave me. Works in some stuff but I don’t remember what. I currently use a fiskars but am working on copying @Wilhelm Dragon Slayer :D
I will get You sorted on dimensions and weight.

Thumper88

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve got a single sided Chopper 1. The double bits were made by someone else. Let me see if I can find that info. The chopper 1 will blow both pieces of a white oak about 8 feet each way. Make sure you aren’t splitting close to the truck lol

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I actually use an old Gansfors maul, I think it's 7 lb or so, works just as good as one of those cheap made 8lb heads

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i use a 5lb fellers axe for splitting wood or more like i used to. now days a hydraulic splitter it doesnt have any trouble with any of it just plows right through

Thumper88

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mauls are too heavy IMHO.
Weight is a poor supplement for superior design.

I will get You sorted on dimensions and weight.

I’m with you. Length=velocity=energy!

Always use the best tool for the job. But a man who can swing an 8 lb maul on a 32” handle with the same velocity as a man can swing a 5 lb axe on the same handle will impart more energy into the object he hits. I tend to reshape my maul heads in the forge then harden and retemper, but for big wood I still like an 8 lber. Same thing in the forge. A 3 lb hammer moving fast moves hot steel well, but when your shaping 1” square stock a 12 lb sledge works much better.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My Dragon Slayer is about 1.8kg now, I guess it was about 2.0kg when new.
I have a 40" handle on it, I tried a 32" once and it was a completely different ax for the worse.

Technique also matters.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Always use the best tool for the job. But a man who can swing an 8 lb maul on a 32” handle with the same velocity as a man can swing a 5 lb axe on the same handle will impart more energy into the object he hits. I tend to reshape my maul heads in the forge then harden and retemper, but for big wood I still like an 8 lber. Same thing in the forge. A 3 lb hammer moving fast moves hot steel well, but when your shaping 1” square stock a 12 lb sledge works much better.
If You chop smart a 4lbs ax head can do most everything a 8lbs maul does.

I can only imagine physics at work when it comes to forging.

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Varmint rifle vs Dangerous game rifle. Sometimes speed works, sometimes mass works better. Under some canitions, a 6 or 8 lbs maul is better than a 3.5 or 5 lbs splitting axe, no matter the design. My Fiskars x27 is great, but sometimes the bigger maul is what is needed. And in big elm, neither is great.