Echo CS670/ HDA203

Carbine

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A friend of mine is having issues with his cs670… which up until this point has been a good saw to him.

In order to get this saw to idle, I have to be about 4 turns out on L side, and about the same on the H side to 4 stroke. It looks clean, diaphragm doesn't look bad, but obviously there is some crud or an obstructed passage that I can't get to or find.
I'm going to get back into it within the next week, but before I do... Do any of you have a Hda203 sitting around in working condition? I don't really want to piss around with this saw, but he's a friend and I don't want to see him have to buy a new carb if I can't get this one figured out.

And partially OT... Do any parts chain stores like Napa offer ultrasonic cleaning? I meant to check around, but haven't yet.

Last edited:

7sleeper

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
As far as I have understood most small engines repair shops have a ultrasonic unit and I doubt that they wouldn't run your carb for a few bucks.

Carbine

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You sure the saw doesn't have a vacuum leak? Sure sounds like one.

That's what my other friend thinks. We're going to vac/pressure test it within the next week. I'm still betting on the carb, but we will see.

Thank you all for the feedback, I somehow missed it in my notifications.

Carbine

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As far as I have understood most small engines repair shops have a ultrasonic unit and I doubt that they wouldn't run your carb for a few bucks.

I was looking for a place more for him to drop the carb off I guess lol. Like everyone else, he waits until the last minute to cut wood and acts like it is some kind of emergency that he is having saw trouble. I'm in the middle of half a dozen projects here at the house, and have to take what little bit of free time I have to either help cut wood or fix friends junk that they've put off for the last year.

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On those 670`s I have found many to have a small crack in that flexible intake manifold between the carb and cylinder. These saws were worked hard and rough in woodyards and I think they got yanked back hard when the bar would get stuck/jammed in a cut. Then they would act that same way and eventually come back to me to be fixed over and over.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was looking for a place more for him to drop the carb off I guess lol. Like everyone else, he waits until the last minute to cut wood and acts like it is some kind of emergency that he is having saw trouble. I'm in the middle of half a dozen projects here at the house, and have to take what little bit of free time I have to either help cut wood or fix friends junk that they've put off for the last year.

You need to share with him the gospel of multiple back-up units. My saws are 30cc, 40cc, and 50cc and each has a back-up ready to roll!

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
12:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ran into something similar last week with a Stihl MS440's Walbro carb. Owner said the engine refused to idle right and then finally refused to start. I removed the carb and found that the little round carb filter screen was packed with sawdust -- so thick that fuel could not get through. I cleaned it really good, put it back in, and the saw ran as it should after I reset the carb back to normal settings.

The owner admitted that he had recently installed a new air filter and for a year or so had run it without cleaning the air filter. That probably didn't help matters. Many have said that a worn out or defective pickup body inside the tank will do the same, especially if the tank has sawdust or other contaminants inside.

BTW, I really like my Echo CS-670. I'm surprised it isn't rated higher.

Carbine

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ran into something similar last week with a Stihl MS440's Walbro carb. Owner said the engine refused to idle right and then finally refused to start. I removed the carb and found that the little round carb filter screen was packed with sawdust -- so thick that fuel could not get through. I cleaned it really good, put it back in, and the saw ran as it should after I reset the carb back to normal settings.

The owner admitted that he had recently installed a new air filter and for a year or so had run it without cleaning the air filter. That probably didn't help matters. Many have said that a worn out or defective pickup body inside the tank will do the same, especially if the tank has sawdust or other contaminants inside.

BTW, I really like my Echo CS-670. I'm surprised it isn't rated higher.

That screen was surprisingly clean. That is probably the first thing I check when I tear down a carb, as I've seen them packed and starving for fuel as well.

Carbine

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You need to share with him the gospel of multiple back-up units. My saws are 30cc, 40cc, and 50cc and each has a back-up ready to roll!

He has a few saws. He doesn't take the time to look after what he has. I'd like to see him pick up a Husky 555 or echo 590.

NCFarmboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I may have a good used 203, will check carb drawer PM if interested.
Shep

NCFarmboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Didn"t have a 203 had a 63 but I used it. Do have a 76 but it is a smaller carb 15.08 mm.
Shep

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Echo CS-670 - 1.JPG Ran my Echo CS-670 yesterday with a 25" bar. All I can say is "Amazing!". Never even breathed hard. It will run dead even with my Stihl 046 Mag. Might even beat it. I made a bar adapter so that it will run with a Stihl bar so forgive me for that.

Last edited:

Carbine

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 92615 Ran my Echo CS-670 yesterday with a 25" bar. All I can say is "Amazing!". Never even breathed hard. It will run dead even with my Stihl 046 Mag. Might even beat it. I made a bar adapter so that it will run with a Stihl bar so forgive me for that.

I'd be getting my 046 checked lol. Good thinking on that adapter, it probably let's you used the same dl chain too, which is a big plus.

Jon1212

Birch! Please.....
Local time
11:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I'd be getting my 046 checked lol. Good thinking on that adapter, it probably let's you used the same dl chain too, which is a big plus.
Troublemaker......LOL!

Hey, does Brad know you're using his likeness as your avatar picture?

Carbine

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Troublemaker......LOL!

Hey, does Brad know you're using his likeness as your avatar picture?

Shhhh... Lol. It is actually one that the late, great, Brush Ape assigned to me early on. Did muh best to take it as a compliment. :confundio1::biggrin:

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I made that adapter in my shop. I used hardwood. Oak, hickory, birch, cherry, or about any other hardwood would have worked (probably not cottonwood, poplar, or willow). The important things are (1) the alignment between the saw's oiler slot and the oiler hole on the bar and (2) the adapter thickness has to equal the thickness of the bar. Tomorrow I'm going to cut a bunch of big red elm and ash with it.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I found the Pics of the adapter setup so that my Stihl bars will work with the Cs-670:
Echo CS-670.jpg
It works. Dang, I like this saw.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I cut a truckload of big elm and cottonwood with this saw today. The bar and chain oiled fine. Engine ran flawlessly and never bogged down. I also never had to pump the bar oiler. I'm sure that my Stihl 046 Mag is jealous beyond belief.

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I cut a truckload of big elm and cottonwood with this saw today. The bar and chain oiled fine. Engine ran flawlessly and never bogged down. I also never had to pump the bar oiler. I'm sure that my Stihl 046 Mag is jealous beyond belief.

Seems it is treating you well.

@Carbine send me a pm early next week, I believe I have a carb.. may not be a 203 but I have a few 670/6700 carbs floating around. Just not home to check.