Echo 590 vs 620P

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just sold a 590 today, the guy insisted on a big bar wanting a 32", but settled on a 28" (92-3dl) due to local availability. I got to run it, almost buried the bar in a huge Ash log, but it chugged right along with a new full comp chain, and that particular 590 didn't have insane compression. He also insisted I make it louder (before I tested the 28"), so that probably helped.

They advertise on the website up to 24" for the 590, and 27" for the 620p.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ported 620 gif.gif

As for the 590, my order of piston clips still hasn't been shipped yet. I debated making my own clip, but tried an aftermarket piston kit which turned out to be a Golf :hmmm:. It's a lot heavier, maybe the slightest bit taller, I shaved a couple grams off it, ended up with up to 173psi hot (according to my gauge), 113, 134, 80. The compression even with the decomp feels good, but they use a single tiny pin hole on their decomps. I'll still have to dial in the high torque port job, I've spent more time on making a 590 peakier. The cut time average wasn't really any faster even with the depth gauges filed more, but unfortunately it had another 15 cuts on that log between stock and ported, so it gained 1-2" of diameter, so I didn't get a good comparison there. Seeing as how it carried over the cut times to the bigger end of the log (which is no more after this test) there's obviously an improvement in power, and it does a good job running the 42" in pine, which is a good bit harder than balsa :).

Overall I do like how it performs, it's just a little different how it has no wow factor, but keeps on chugging beyond expectations. I'd say mission accomplished: the 620 is about at peaky as is useful for 24", as I found burying it in a giant Ash log off camera, and the 590 certainly has more low end torque.

590 42in gif.gif

Last edited:

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They are cutting wood. The 620 seems best limited to a 24" bar with it's peakiness, and the 590 has no problem at all running a 28" buried in hard wood. Of course it is no match for my kit 660 with a 32" skip which just blows through wood in comparison.

I'll have to try to pay more attention when using my 660 as to how much I compress the AV mounts as it also has a division in the top cover between the air filter box and engine, but the 590 kinda seems really squishy during some 28" tests. I tested a full comp chain, but noticed the squishiness when running a 28" Archer skip chain buried in Ash that wasnt loading the saw very much. My natural reaction was to lean on it harder, then i saw how much give the springs had. Just the weight of a 28" bar hanging on the power head moves the AV springs a good bit.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
5:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If the 590 is a 60cc saw and your running a 28" bar, why not jump to a 70cc saw? I personally do not go bigger thsn 24 with a 60cc saw. 95% of the time it wears a 20. If I need bigger bar, I jump to bugger saw.

Wood Chopper

So so sleepy....
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If the 590 is a 60cc saw and your running a 28" bar, why not jump to a 70cc saw? I personally do not go bigger thsn 24 with a 60cc saw. 95% of the time it wears a 20. If I need bigger bar, I jump to bugger saw.

I think it's just a test Jeff.

I have a neighbors 590 here. I deleted base gasket and I opened the muffler up. (Can't believe the restriction in that) just shortened a chain from 72 to 70 drivers. Might get to run it this weekend. It is loud i can tell ya:eusa_whistle:

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
With how well an Echo can oil a bar, and having similar performance to a 70cc when ported, I don't see why it couldn't wear a 28" bar. The power head will save a little weight, though the balance isn't as good. It's all personal preference, and what someone needs and can afford. I'd recommend sticking to a 24" max, but it's good to know that a 28" isn't a problem.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes. As I said, just me. I use saws with specific bar lengths in mind. Size of wood dictates what saw I use.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
20" full skip was my standard on my 2188 with an 8t of course. The full skip was mainly just to save time sharpening between stump cuts doing residential tree removal. My only other saw at the time was a 271t. Of course I kept a 32" bar on hand.

Larry Joe

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I just finished a 620.......

Fantastic saws for the money.
The 620 and 501 that Mr. Randy ported for me are my most used saws. He made very good saws great. They run like scalded dogs and are as reliable as any saw I've seen. They really are a great value.

Larry Joe

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I love Tennessee.

No where else in the world appeals to me at this point in my life.
I miss it every day. The people and the land. I'm still in shock after moving back out here. I can't leave my Mom out here not that she would move anyway. My wife has property and an old homestead in Monticello Ky. She keeps saying we'll eventually move there, I keep telling her I like Tennessee better. If I can get over this Cancer that's the plan. Amazingly I'm doing damned good after having a couple of surgeries and 10 rounds of Chemo. The VA and USF have saved my ass. Hopefully it will be VA and Vanderbilt in the future. Everyone have a great Thanksgiving and may God bless you and yours.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I miss it every day. The people and the land. I'm still in shock after moving back out here. I can't leave my Mom out here not that she would move anyway. My wife has property and an old homestead in Monticello Ky. She keeps saying we'll eventually move there, I keep telling her I like Tennessee better. If I can get over this Cancer that's the plan. Amazingly I'm doing damned good after having a couple of surgeries and 10 rounds of Chemo. The VA and USF have saved my ass. Hopefully it will be VA and Vanderbilt in the future. Everyone have a great Thanksgiving and may God bless you and yours.

Prayers of good help, and good health for you and your family Larry.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't know how off my numbers are because I weighed each chainsaw a half at a time while trying to balance them on 2 little points (too heavy for my scale to weigh the whole thing), but here's what I got:

Stihl 362CM: 12.42lbs PHO empty
Echo 590: 13.31lbs PHO empty

Stihl's oil line is short enough, but the case gasket prevents the filter from falling to the other side of the tank. I looked in a few Husqvarnas recently and they all had free motion of the oil filter and were well designed in that sense, except for a top handle model which had too long of an oil line keeping the filter in the clutch side corner, and top handles are much more likely to need cap side pickup.

Last edited:

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
That seems to be the general consensus! I've been stashing some cash to purchase either a used 50cc saw or new, and I've been eyeing the 501p...
I really like my 501p. At one time it was the lightest pro style 50cc saw on the market. You could do a lot worse.