Buy Used Saws CCC Ebay Store

Earthquake 8900 Auger Troubles

Discussion in 'Mowers and More' started by Empty_keg, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Empty_keg

Empty_keg New OPE Member

I have an Earthquake model 8900
    augerwith a Tecumseh TM049XA-3607B engine. I was having trouble getting the engine started because of some really old gas. I felt it was time to replace the carburetor. I bought this carburetor (Amazon). Installation went smoothly but I am having trouble getting it tuned in and started. The engine starts right up if I don't choke it and I hold the throttle open. It runs wide open producing a moderate amount of white exhaust when I let it down to idle the engine dies. This carburetor only has a low mixture and idle speed adjustment. I turned the low mixture 1 turn out choked the engine and it wouldn't start.

The engine has compression, spark, etc. I got fresh oil and fuel (24:1 mix). I just can't get the idle set. Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

MT

2. alleyyooper

alleyyooper Well-Known OPE Member

Lean out the low speed adjustment. that usually is done by turning the low speed screw/adjustment in.

once it is running with the leaner low speed jet adjusted and warmed up then the idle can be set.

:D Al

3. Larry B

Larry B Super OPE Member

You got carb issues. You really need to pressure test the carb. Also need to pull it apart and check the metering spring, lever and needle. And the lever height. Sounds like the metering needle is not seating and just running super rich.

4. Empty_keg

Empty_keg New OPE Member

Larry B, the carburetor is brand new. Is there a guide to perform these tests you suggested?

alleyyooper I will try this again. Thanks!

5. Larry B

Larry B Super OPE Member

There are a bunch of vids on Utube how to do it. Search "pressure test carburetor" Joe pace has a good one.

6. Empty_keg

Empty_keg New OPE Member

I will look at it! It turns out that I made a new gasket for the carburetor and adjusted the distance between the coil and magnet and I was able toy get it to idle and run at full throttle. Could the coil/magnet distance impact the system operation in the way I described earlier?

7. Larry B

Larry B Super OPE Member

Coil gap won't make it run super rich. A gasket leak can make a big difference.