High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Early 064 build

mtnwkr

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Starting this thread to record my progress and ask questions so please check back often!
Picked this up today for $160. Was a homeowners saw and didn't see too much use, the owner said it's been many years since he was "man enough to pull it over". Fuel line was rotted off but it kicked and ran as long as I bottle fed the carb! I plan to replace the rubber parts and seals and then find a B&C for it.

33408562466_fc64aa0817_b.jpg

33065697960_ec2bb8b880_b.jpg

32634814673_b927387935_b.jpg

33448993525_88f3075ec5_b.jpg

mtnwkr

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The carb is a Walbro wj6a, everything I find for it is a wj67a with the different top cover. Can I just get one of these and swap on my flat top cover?

My carb..
33448997135_f60607f7a7_b.jpg

What the replacements look like..

s-l300.jpg

mtnwkr

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Subbed and have you put this in the You suck thread? It would qualify for sure.

And whats wrong with the carb?

I'm assuming since everything else on the saw was dry and/or rotted that the carb would be as well.
I've had better luck with the $15 aftermarket carbs than I've had with rebuilding an old one but maybe I'll give it a shot and see..
Thanks!

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
10:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm assuming since everything else on the saw was dry and/or rotted that the carb would be as well.
I've had better luck with the $15 aftermarket carbs than I've had with rebuilding an old one but maybe I'll give it a shot and see..
Thanks!

Is that blue mat on your bench a printing blanket?

And on you muffler I know some people like the Hyway ones because there thicker.

BuckthornBonnie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice saw. Grab that crank and give it a good wiggle. I'm sure yours is fine, tho.

What ignition do ya have?

The intake gaskets are still available. You probably have the shim setup and the older boot.

If it's an older clutch without the washer spacer, make sure you get the right springs if needed. Have your dealer check the # and cross reference it to other models.

mtnwkr

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Nice saw. Grab that crank and give it a good wiggle. I'm sure yours is fine, tho.

What ignition do ya have?

The intake gaskets are still available. You probably have the shim setup and the older boot.

If it's an older clutch without the washer spacer, make sure you get the right springs if needed. Have your dealer check the # and cross reference it to other models.

Thanks for that info. Not sure what ignition I have, seems to be operating though. There was a gasket behind the carb that fell apart, I was going to make one if I couldn't get one from the dealer. I only saw one number in the IPL for the carb boot and that's what I ordered, hope it works!

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
11:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They made 2 different styles of boots. 1 fits on the early 064 caarb box and comes with a shim that goes over the carb bolts and fits inside the boot. The other one is a later boot that has the traditional ring that fits over the carb bolts and the intake ring that fits inside the boot. Had one that a landscaper gave to me to fix and he had the old style carb box with the old style boot but it had the 2 rings. Leaked real bad. Make sure you have the right setup for the carb box.I think the number for the old boot is 2200, the new one 2201.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I picked up one of these 064's for three times your cost and thought I had a bargain. Mine might have even fewer hours on it and was used only for occasional firewood collecting -- never for big timber.

I agree with the hard start because of enormous compression. Lacking a decomp, these saws could use an Elastostart to help save our shoulders. Both make a whale of a difference with my 046. Regardless, the big loggers seem to have no trouble drop starting them. They're used to it. I'm not.

In some respects, the 064 is better made than the MS 650 0r 660, but that's debatable. I do like the beefier construction protecting the carb. Overall, the 064 weighs about a pound less. Some say the bearings are not as tough as the 660 and others say that the 064 breathes easier out the exhaust. Regardless, I think I got my money's worth, and I know you got a whale of a bargain. It should be a fun year bucking some big stuff with these saws. My 046 and 660 may both become jealous.

Oh and BTW, my 064 has the flat top design, which may make it several years younger. Not sure about that. I also have the typical outer handle, not the wrap.

Last edited:

mtnwkr

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well, looks like I have the wrong carb boot on the way. Thanks for the info on that one..
I do have an elastostart handle and cord on the way to help out too :)

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, looks like I have the wrong carb boot on the way. Thanks for the info on that one..
I do have an elastostart handle and cord on the way to help out too :)

One of us surely has a later carb box to help you out.

I'll see what I have.