EAB trees

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ash is pretty tough if you get it off the ground contact .I'd just about put it with white oak . Maple or hickory doesn't take weather worth a hoot .
On the ash after 5-7 years the roots will fail and over it goes .This spring I had a bad leaner I had procrastinated for several years how to drop it and not kill myself .One windy night mother nature did it for me, perfect lay didn't hit anything .I got nearly a cord out of that one

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Absolutely inaccurate. It dries fast. Most people say it dries in the amount of time it takes to fall and hit the ground. Most people in the east consider Ash to be the only wood you can cut and burn in the same day. It's not ideal but it's been done a lot.

I agree if it is cut in winter or dying fast in the early spring or fall with little rain.
Locust cut after Xmas goes right in my stove. Standing dead locust is what I seek now for cold nights coming up. Had one downed by pubic service at a farm out front. The owner called me back and said it disappeared last night. Layed there one day. Big mfers to. Bummer!

I requested public service cut it down and they left me two saw logs. It was about on the top wire along the road and dying. All gone one night.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Black locust is interesting .You have about three stages of burning,the wood the coals and the gas . Once a good bed of coals are established the gas from the wood burns with a bluish flame not unlike natural gas .