huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
8:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I dulled the crap out of a chain today, i had fell a oak and was cutting the top off of it. The stem was hollow and i unknowingly cut into a den. Unfortunately an old boar raccoon was in there.
Unfortunate for both of you? Lol

leadfarmer

Hot Rod !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This works really well for me......
7051f8722bdb3d7bce2df1903c9658bb.jpg
hehee

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Actually, the grinder just reminded me of the Michigan dude from pa who started square filing. Wasn't in reference to your abilities

B

Backyard Lumberjack

That was a great thread ,well at least the beginning was

I agree! I am going to stick to my hand sharpening, but think I will further investigate grinder... in any event... that classic was classic! all I can say is WOW!

he should join the OPE and pix up some tips! lol... pure classic! and with sunglasses on under the dark shade of the tree! omg :eek:

Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
10:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like to keep the chains sharp.

Some of my wifes frinds were here one day and we were talking cutting wood.
Old mate told me his saw would not cut no matter how much he sharpened his chain.

I showed him what the rakers do and showed him how to file them down.

He went home to order a guide and flat file.

Just spreading the sharp chain love!

I can think of a few other initiatives we need to start.

How to dress your bar
How to clean out the bar groove
How to clean under the sprocket cover
how to grease your sprocket bearing

B

Backyard Lumberjack

I like to keep the chains sharp. Some of my wifes frinds were here one day and we were talking cutting wood. Old mate told me his saw would not cut no matter how much he sharpened his chain. I showed him what the rakers do and showed him how to file them down. He went home to order a guide and flat file. Just spreading the sharp chain love! I can think of a few other initiatives we need to start. How to dress your bar, How to clean out the bar groove, How to clean under the sprocket cover, how to grease your sprocket bearing

- I can think of a few other initiatives we need to start.

> How to dress your bar
> How to clean out the bar groove - for guides and oiler
> How to clean under the sprocket cover
> How to grease your sprocket bearing

those would be really good topics to include. many do not grease their chainsaw's sprocket bearing. at least not often enough... keeping bar dressed - very important... etc... all good subjects related to chainsaw chain sharpening... hand or machine.

Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
10:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have been to cut wood out of peoples back yards a fair few times lately.
Usually the wood has been hacked by something small and blunt........ or worse, small, blunt and electric

They usually have a little saw and tell me they got sick of paying to have the chain sharpened.
The looks of amazement i get when i hammer in my stump vice and file the chain razor sharp in under 5 minutes are something to behold.

I think it comes down to the fact that when using a chainsaw, the majority know enough to be dangerous but not enough to be competent.

Fuel, Oil, pull cord, pull trigger and cut....... sounds easy hey!

Brush Ape

Direct Connection
Local time
7:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Brush Ape makes his stand!

Hint hint.

It's coming, Keith and Brian. Over the last couple of years, I've worked on everything from a servo-driven model with pneumatic linear actuators that function a bit like a Timberline to a basic clamp to a basic clamp with built-in roller guides for square filing.

On the fully auto stand; we're working on the depth gauge part and looking for the proper cutters for the part that bores through the bit. $22 bucks or whatever the timberline one cost is too steep, but it has to be a cutter, not a stone. So those are aspects I'm working on. Frankly, the clamp with the guides is my favorite plan so far. I expect tho have the two clamp models squared away by the end of summer. And I still use the original BA Makes his Stand model. lol

> How to dress your bar
> How to clean out the bar groove - for guides and oiler
> How to clean under the sprocket cover
> How to grease your sprocket bearing

True That, BY LJ and Brewz. I'm a sprocket nose greaser. For the most part, I've gone to Oregon Bars over 25" because they can be greased. It irritates the hell out of me that some guys will not grease them because their Dad told them it would, "attract dirt," or bark or what ever superstitious counter-intuitive crap that stems from. I go for logical, systematic, routine and intervallic maintenance based on the severity of usage and conditions. I would add to your list, 'Sprocket Nose Replacement,' and 'bar groove closer/space between rail maintenance.' The later really falls under bar dressing.

B

Backyard Lumberjack

True That, BY LJ and Brewz. I'm a sprocket nose greaser. For the most part, I've gone to Oregon Bars over 25" because they can be greased. It irritates the hell out of me that some guys will not grease them because their Dad told them it would, "attract dirt," or bark or what ever superstitious counter-intuitive crap that stems from. I go for logical, systematic, routine and intervallic maintenance based on the severity of usage and conditions. I would add to your list, 'Sprocket Nose Replacement,' and 'bar groove closer/space between rail maintenance.' The later really falls under bar dressing.

sounds like you got it under wraps there, BA. I bet you could do a cook thread in chains on bars: the numerous types. an indepth on chains would be interesting too. stock chain, skipped tooth, raker designs, etc... I have seen some raker vids and posts on effective raker mods that I like.