High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Drying timber for tropical climate?

Iron.and.bark

Eats trees & drinks dinosaur juice
Local time
1:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Got a pretty spastic commission lined up. 18 seater single slab dinning table.

The kicker is though, will be milling and kiln drying to export to a tropical country. Due to the increased humidity I figure that I will have to kiln to a higher moisture content that for a piece staying here in oz. As the increased humidity would be absorbed by the timber and cause movement.

Is my thinking correct? And can anyone recommend what moisture content I should aim for?

Hammered

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Good on the commission.

A well seasoned dry Door that is sealed will expand as much as an inch or 2.5 cm then shrinks in the summer with the end of the rains.
Wood is always on the move in the tropics according to the weather I have learned.
Sealers slow down the expansion contraction but they still move no matter how much I put on.

We vary between 30 and 90% humidity

Don't bone dry your slab as its going to sponge up the relative humitity when it gets there.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
12:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How's the table coming? And don't know if it's possible but if they could tell you or you can look up the average humidity in that are there are charts on line that will give you a normalized moisture content in wood for that environment. Would at least give you a target to dry too.

Hammered

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
How's that table coming?
What did you dry it at?
Photos photos photos....