Drying slabs properly?

Flint Mitch

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I noodled out a few maple slabs I'd like to use in the future. What do I need to do to get them to dry right?
6825473dbbe4a511ab4db7847c971a8f.jpg

Last edited:

Junk Meister

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stickers (sticks) Made out of white or burr oak (moderately dry as well) will minimize discoloration, rot, spalting, etc. 1" x 1" works well and do NOT use an old house lath as the lime and iron from the nail hole will take a toll. As said store out of the sun and rain. If you keep the stickers directly over top of each other and a heavyweight on top that will help with warping issues and I prefer a cheap latex paint on the ends because it doesn't tend to bleed so far up the grain.
Another way is to hang them from a rafter just avoid wire with Iron (discoloration) I like the aluminum from overhead entrance wire (Electric) and unravel it and avoid the steel one , you could drill a small hole and use string. good luck:)

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ll throw this question out there to the masses since this thread is about drying. I have a grain bin that is going to be open/freed up till October of 2020. The drying floor is in good shape & flat/level, I don’t plan on running the fan but I could to speed up drying, it would get a bit expensive running it for too long. With the vented floor & roof I am guessing that it will work well for drying some boards.
1.)Am I correct on thinking this?

2.)About how long does it take to dry Cherry that is/will be cut to 1-1/4” to 1-1/2”?

3.) Can I lay them flat & routinely flip them as seen in the photo?

4.) Or do I need to stack vertically for weight purposes?

The boards in my photo were the first ones I cut with my mill, test boards if you will. Mulberry & Cherry just wanted to try things out. I have plenty of paint for ends on the next ones.

9F66B45D-89F0-42E8-9C2F-A67733F6B36F.jpeg 1A88B147-F78D-4052-B06C-82E3064A750D.jpeg

Junk Meister

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
best get them off the floor by using stickers under them (Metal and reactive consequences for the decking) and in my opinion the fan is irrelevant with a hind thought of refreshing (exchanging) the air. You have a HUMONGOUS floor area and could dry several or more thousand feet and then the fan would be a benefit.