Dressing grinding stones

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
5:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I recall that Grande Dog on A.S. commented that the 'pink' Oregon wheels were slightly coarser than the 'pink' Molemab wheels from Bailey's. So color may not translate exactly between brands. And when I worked at 3M, the sandpaper guys would tell me that there were lots of different grades of aluminum oxide, so there may be additional differences there as well.

When I was testing the cheap, Harbor Freight grinders, swapping to a coarse, pink wheel made a HUGE difference over the fine, red/brown wheels they came with.

I still prefer a well dressed 'pink' wheel over the $100 CBN wheels I tried.

I had a chance to try a Tecomec 'brown' grinding wheel, but did not find it much different than their 'pink' wheel. Except that the brown wheel seemed to generate more dust and was more likely to overheat the cutters if not careful.

Tecomec Grinding Wheels.png

Also spent some time exploring resinoid wheels:
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/resinoid-grinder-wheels.256733/

Philbert

Fish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
5203 750 7010 CUTTER FRONT WHEEL-.325 22.99

5202 893 6000 STONE 5.49

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I like brown wheels.
What do you think I should try on this harvester chain? Stuffs hard. Eats files and I have more of it with a terrible grind 404.

brshephard

Stihl saws, Husky women
Local time
4:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
More options available for the Silvey square grinders. Like a blue, ceramic wheel.

Philbert

Philbert, I think a guy could run a blue wheel in a round grinder. It would need to be dressed down to the appropriate diameter. They are 8" OD new.

I have a worn down white one if you want it.

Fish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Fish, I said they treat me right and I am not complaining.
I'd say so.
I think they are thinking that they are selling to you at their cost, when they are accidently selling to you at well under their cost, and "losing" money.

On normal parts, the "retail" price is in the price list, and dealer cost is 65% or so, depending on their arrangement. But on tools and such, the cost in the price list is the actual cost to the dealer. At least it used to be that way.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like brown wheels.
What do you think I should try on this harvester chain? Stuffs hard. Eats files and I have more of it with a terrible grind 404.

All my 404 18&19hx get done with a pink wheel till I find a harvester vise for our silvey 510.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used salmon once but lost the wheel moving stuff.
Have you used other stones or white?

Only on my pro sharp the white wheel I didn’t care for
2a65d87525ea6491eb82ec5a7219c820.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just sharpened several chains last night with a "pink" wheel. Very happy with it. It does generate a bit of dust though, which can't be an issue if done in enclosed area.

Biggest issue I noticed is that this wheel is getting worn, so it is a smaller diameter compared to a new wheel. This means a slower rim (circumference ) speed, and longer to grind, then with a new wheel.

A bit more use and maybe it will fit on my Harbor Freight style mini grinders ?

Philbert

Fish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The Franzen had a problem with that, I requested a helmet and flack jacket....

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd like to have a thread on the differences of materials in wheels and makeup and how they perform. Like the comparison of pink wheels. That Total wheel does not impress me, but my Oregon wheels work good. I am still partial to my grey STIHL wheels.
Maybe even compare CBN style wheels and how they perform compared to cost and maintenance.
I am certain I had the conversation with someone that the STIHL wheels made for carbide are not worth the cost for sharpening standard chain.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have been using the Molemab wheels from Bailey's due to price. Especially, when on sale. Work well. I like the Oregon wheels, but not the price.

I have not been impressed with the $100 CBN wheels I bought. I have to grind slower, or I over heat the cutters. Less dust though.

Wheels for sharpening carbide chains are diamond, and should not be used on steel cutters. Apparently, the steel clogs the abrasive matrix (?).

Link to A.S. thread on resinoid wheels above.

Philbert

Last edited: