Downloading music online

stihl sawing

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any of you ever done it and how hard is it? I have a few songs I want to add to the MP3 player and don't want to buy the whole CD, I found some sites that you can pay 99 cents and download it to your computer, then to a MP3 player. How hard is it? Also the sites say you can only download the song twice to stuff. how can they control that if it's on my computer?

stihl sawing

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
lol, I found a site that you can download songs for 9 cents. wonder if that's legit? Too bad o don't teach school anymore, those kids could tell me how to get them free.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
5:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Napster.gif

Anyone?

I used to DL quite a bit. I stopped because I got the *s-words of the lack of quality, bottom line. There are programs/apps that allow you to download the audio from youtube, for free.

stihl sawing

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Napster.gif

Anyone?

I used to DL quite a bit. I stopped because I got the *s-words of the lack of quality, bottom line. There are programs/apps that allow you to download the audio from youtube, for free.
So the quality is not good? I don't have a smart phone, so the app thing is out. But if it's crappy sounding I won't fool with it.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Depends how much of discriminating listener you are. If you're just playing it on a laptop or lesser quality system it's ok. Basically MP3's cut off the very highs and lows (frequencies), then compresses the rest @ different levels of quality. If you have a choice, get the highest bit rate possible. If youtube sounds fine to you, go for it. I have an ipod filled with music for my garage and workshop listening.

stihl sawing

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some youtube vids sound ok and some are really bad.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use amazon music and download to my phone and tablet. I don't know if that will work on a PC.

The paid download is for how many times it goes to your computer or a 2nd one. You can put it on as many mp3 players as you have

stihl sawing

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use amazon music and download to my phone and tablet. I don't know if that will work on a PC.

The paid download is for how many times it goes to your computer or a 2nd one. You can put it on as many mp3 players as you have
The site says it will load to the computer, I'm probably going to give it a try. for 9 cents a song I can't lose much.

Vinyl ftw.
Got plenty of them from years ago, they're hard to carry around and listen to on a portable device though.lol I did buy a turntable years ago that hooks to the computer and puts the albums on it, then they can be transferred to an mP3 player.

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The site says it will load to the computer, I'm probably going to give it a try. for 9 cents a song I can't lose much.

Got plenty of them from years ago, they're hard to carry around and listen to on a portable device though.lol I did buy a turntable years ago that hooks to the computer and puts the albums on it, then they can be transferred to an mP3 player.

That could be your best bet. That way you can control how the bid the file is and deal with compression issues. I never thought I had much of an ear for music but I can tell right off if something's over digitized. A lot of modern popular music is actually recorded to fit in a small digital space. Now you know why so much of it sucks.

the GOAT

87, k2 40:1
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If you have Amazon prime you can use their streaming app for free. You can download songs and don't have to be online to listen... Just have to connect online once a month so it can check that you still are a member.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
10:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
lol, I found a site that you can download songs for 9 cents. wonder if that's legit? Too bad o don't teach school anymore, those kids could tell me how to get them free.
There is no such thing as "FREE & LEGAL" on the web, You pay one way or the other.

YouTube isn't FREE either as You are being bothered with advertisements.
Also, one still needs to pay for ISP traffic.

Even the not-so-legal stuff isn't free as one has to worry whether using any such sources will cause any repercussions and/or consequences.

mp3 at 320kbps is extremely high quality but eats up a lot of storage space, 160kbps is somewhat of a lowest border line quality while not requiring too much space.
I played with other bit rates and found that 128kbps and lower reduces the listening pleasure a lot as bass and high frequencies are being chopped away by the mp3 encoders. Going over 320kbps is futile as most mp3 capable devices don't handle too high bit rates very well and one ends up with huge files containing a single song.
FYI, most mp3 enabled devices also don't handle bit rates lower then 96kbps well (or at all).

I actually own a bunch of legal CD's sitting on a shelf, needles to say they're all about obsolete by today's standards.
I try not to think about the value that went into them so many years ago while they're now worth less than used toilet paper.

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
9:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Any of you ever done it and how hard is it? I have a few songs I want to add to the MP3 player and don't want to buy the whole CD, I found some sites that you can pay 99 cents and download it to your computer, then to a MP3 player. How hard is it? Also the sites say you can only download the song twice to stuff. how can they control that if it's on my computer?
Dude,

There's millions of ways to do this....
  1. on amazon you can look up a nice album, you can then buy+download INDIVIDUAL tunes as mp3
  2. on youtube you can copy a song's url and paste it into sites like "youtube2mp3" which stream the bits and save it to mp3
  3. if your old-fashioned like me you get grab free software and convert mp3 -> wav files -> burn to CD to play in yer car...
The information is all there for the taking online.....as to the legitimacy....no one's prosecuted me yet....but why should they? Any thing like this I do is just for personal or family use I've not made any profit, and I've not deprived any one else of theirs.

It's not as if I've not spent my whole life buying the odd vinyl, audio tape, VHS, CD, DVD legitimately, so who cares if I download a bit once in a while, I mean I could probably just switch on the radio and listen to that very same song for "free"....whatever that means...;)