Dolmar 64xx/73xx/79xx series, smurfs and solo 665/675/681 thread

MG2186

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Believe it or not, that is red elm. It grows big around here, but it is getting scarce and was almost exterminated by dutch elm disease. People often make fun of elm until them burn red elm.
Red Elm is prime firewood! I’d take everything I could get, unfortunately it’s all but extinct out here. That’s a lot darker than the red Elm I’m used to seeing

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
6:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Red Elm is prime firewood! I’d take everything I could get, unfortunately it’s all but extinct out here. That’s a lot darker than the red Elm I’m used to seeing
We used to have *s-wordloads of 8-12" standing dead around here when I was a kid. Guessing that was what was left from Dutch elm disease killing them. But there are still a few live ones yet. Even some big ones here and there

MG2186

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We used to have *s-wordloads of 8-12" standing dead around here when I was a kid. Guessing that was what was left from Dutch elm disease killing them. But there are still a few live ones yet. Even some big ones here and there
Same here, they do get pretty good size, I’ve cut some that were 4’ or better on the stump, a lot dam nice firewood in them like that. Dam bugs/disease is killing off all the good firewood trees. Won’t be long and most the ash trees will be gone too

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oops! You may be right. That above Pic could be black walnut from the same work site. I may have gotten the Pics mixed up. Here's the same saw after I worked on red elm for sure:
Big Elm1.jpg
Note that this big round also has slightly thinner bark and no lighter-colored sapwood ring. That's a 32" bar on board. The tree was probably at least 7o years old. I had to noodle cut these rounds into quarters before I could load them onto the tailgate.

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those rounds look suspiciously like Siberian Elm..

They were planted all across the western mid west as yard trees. “Shade trees” about 80 - 100 years ago cause they were resistant to the diseases that take out the red and American elm.

But they are some ugly sunsabiches..

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All of our Ash is dead here, state want even let you take the dead out for firewood either.
I got 2 Ash trees in the south tree line..

I’ve left them alone for now. Hoping those damn Chinese bugs starve to death before they can get here.