Dolmar 64xx/73xx/79xx series, smurfs and solo 665/675/681 thread

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
10:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok I've got a couple questions here if anyone would care to jump in. I'm looking at going through my 7900 and freshening it up. The saw is stock other than a gutted muffler with the outlet opened up as far as the deflector Will allow. Im also planning on sending the carb to Rich for his mods.

1. I heard that the slab side piston is quite a bit lighter than the windowed piston. What is the actual weight difference of between the piston/pin/ring/clip assemblies?

2. Where's the best source for said slab side piston?

3. Has anyone tried the windowed piston from HL and does it use the stock width ring? Thinking about running one them with a caber ring if so since they're only $25.

4. Will "clipping" the bottom corners of the cylinders(to match the piston) at the lower transfers and lightly blending the lowers as talked about previously make a noticeable difference? (On a mostly stock saw)

Thanks
Jeff
1) I think the total weight difference was 7-9 grams, I’d have to check my notes.
2) I haven’t seen OEM 7910 piston for sale anywhere by itself.
3)I bought a Hyway brand piston from them, showed up Golf brand (which I’m not s fan of, seen too many defects). No response when I sent them an inquiry.
4)don’t know. Some like the tight case, some like smoother flowing passages. Would be a neat test to do it last and time some cuts before and after.

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This it...?
fcbe679a51c86ebc3dfb5544e4710a53.jpg
Yes!
Sooooo sexy.
Some even have a flashlight mounted on them.

mettee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok I've got a couple questions here if anyone would care to jump in. I'm looking at going through my 7900 and freshening it up. The saw is stock other than a gutted muffler with the outlet opened up as far as the deflector Will allow. Im also planning on sending the carb to Rich for his mods.

1. I heard that the slab side piston is quite a bit lighter than the windowed piston. What is the actual weight difference of between the piston/pin/ring/clip assemblies?

2. Where's the best source for said slab side piston?

3. Has anyone tried the windowed piston from HL and does it use the stock width ring? Thinking about running one them with a caber ring if so since they're only $25.

4. Will "clipping" the bottom corners of the cylinders(to match the piston) at the lower transfers and lightly blending the lowers as talked about previously make a noticeable difference? (On a mostly stock saw)

Thanks
Jeff

If you get into the cylinder you might as well do it all. Doing just the corners on the lower will not yield what they could by doing the intake, exhaust and upper transfers as well.

jk14

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like the 7900 I picked up last week turned out to be a dud. Had some issues with the chain(that was already on it) and when I went to inspect the issue I noticed the crank had some play.

Figured I'd tear it down and see what was going on, hoping for a wiped out crank bearing. Nope, PTO bearing pocket is wallowed out. Surprisingly the top end looks perfect. Not sure what to do with it now, find a new case half or part it out, hmmm. Decisions. 20190128_204201.jpg 20190129_195653.jpg

mettee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There used to be some cases on ebay for decent prices. Not sure how that stacks up against new case halfs.

How does the crank look over all? Is there a lot of wear on the clutch bearing surface or anything like that?

Dahmer you have seen this in other saws?

I tried to pull a bearing out of my homedepot makita and that sucker was in there. Heating and pressing it wouldn't budge with the amount of force I was willing to use.

Last edited:

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There used to be some cases on ebay for decent prices. Not sure how that stacks up against new case halfs.

How does the crank look over all? Is there a lot of wear on the clutch bearing surface or anything like that?

Dahmer you have seen this in other saws?

I tried to pull a bearing out of my homedepot makita and that sucker was in there. Heating and pressing it wouldn't budge with the amount of force I was willing to use.
@Mac&Homelite is fighting a 6401 that he was converting to 7900. Clutch side crank bearing fit is wore oversize and it also messed up his crank. He can give you more details than I.