High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Dolmar 5100 S Freshen Up

Dirtmagnet

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hi everyone. It’s been awhile since I have posted, but have been reading fairly consistently.

So, I have just picked up a 2008 Dolmar 5100 S. I’ve been wanting to try a Dolmar for awhile and this will be a good comparison to my other 50cc saws. It is in good shape, but I would like to get it freshened up for use. I need some of the Dolmar pros for assistance here.
1. The saw seems to be 100% untouched from the factory. No air leaks that I can discern, but will vac test later. Bearings feel great.
2. The saw runs pretty well, but has an intermediate rpm change at idle, seems random and not consistent - probably needs a carb kit, but have been reading about just replacing the carb with a new one. Back in 2016 @166 mentioned using a Zama C1Q 13b carb. I see there is also a 14b available. Which one is the best here? Is there a newer one than the 14b?
3. I have the original white/grey coil (14,500 limit) but again 166 mentioned replacing it with the superceeded red 13,800 coil for better performance. Even with all my reading in multiple threads, I can’t exactly pinpoint the red coil part number to order it. There are a lot of combinations that also include 5105 that aren’t interchaneable. Either 166 or @fordf150 can maybe help?
4. The piston is showing some scratching, so I just assume replace it and clean up the cylinder. Is the OEM piston the only good option @ $70??
5. I will also need some wear parts to replace for my own insurance (fuel line, filter, maybe intake boot, etc.) does anyone know a good location to order these parts? It’s not quite as easy as Husky parts.

Thanks everyone. Sorry for the length of the post...

Oh, one last thing... saw came with 18” 3/8” bar+chain. Will this saw pull this combo confidently? Seems like a lot of chain for 50cc’s.

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I won’t try to answer all of your questions, but if I recall there was a problem with the intake boot but that was prior to 2008. I guess I got lucky with my carb as it ran excellent from day one and when Poleman ported it, he made some changes that really woke it up.

They have a lot of grunt for a 50cc saw. Some blow 195+psi from the factory. However, I also read that some were set pretty lean from the factory too. It should be able to pull a 3/8” 18 with authority.

You have “invited” the right guys in your post. They’ll have all the parts you’d need.

Dirtmagnet

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I won’t try to answer all of your questions, but if I recall there was a problem with the intake boot but that was prior to 2008. I guess I got lucky with my carb as it ran excellent from day one and when Poleman ported it, he made some changes that really woke it up.

They have a lot of grunt for a 50cc saw. Some blow 195+psi from the factory. However, I also read that some were set pretty lean from the factory too. It should be able to pull a 3/8” 18 with authority.

You have “invited” the right guys in your post. They’ll have all the parts you’d need.

Thanks Backtroller! I appreciate the response. I didn’t realize these were such factory hot rods. Impressive to have enough torque,stock, too pull 18” 3/8.

Dirtmagnet

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

That is impressive! I “believe” I read in another thread, that this is the same Oiler used in the 6100! That is also an added plus to these saws... they should oil anything. Lol.

Btw, this saw is K095 mount, correct? I never even checked.

Dirtmagnet

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yes k095. Small husky

Biggest problem is their weight. Mine weighs about the same as my 357xp.

I haven’t used it hardly at all yet, so I haven’t “felt” the weight yet, but you make a good point. The heavier weight is not optimal, but if it adds durability, it’s ok with me.

Habada
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's a couple of 5100's in this video.

First one is one that @Adirondackstihl built out of a couple junker's. Second saw was a trade in.

Saw #1 (Adirondackstihl)
15" .325 21LPX064 Chain
13,500 Red coil I think
Standard muffler maybe opened up a bit?

Saw #2 (Mine)
16" 3/8 72LGX060 Chain
13,500 Red Coil
Cat Muffler

Dirtmagnet

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Here's a couple of 5100's in this video.

First one is one that @Adirondackstihl built out of a couple junker's. Second saw was a trade in.

Saw #1 (Adirondackstihl)
15" .325 21LPX064 Chain
13,500 Red coil I think
Standard muffler maybe opened up a bit?

Saw #2 (Mine)
16" 3/8 72LGX060 Chain
13,500 Red Coil
Cat Muffler

Thank you @166 ! Very impressive. Do you happen to know the part # of the red coil for the 5100?

Habada
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The C1Q-DM13B is still the best carb I've seen for any saw of this series.

Red Coil 13,500 RPM part number 181-143-204

No aftermarket pistons that I know of

Fuel lines and intake boots are not much of an issue

I'd do a carb swap if you want, fresh fuel filter, tune and run it if I were you. Not sure if your piston has slight damage or not.

Dirtmagnet

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Red Coil 13,500 RPM part number 181-143-204

No aftermarket pistons that I know of

Fuel lines and intake boots are not much of an issue

I'd do a carb swap if you want, fresh fuel filter, tune and run it if I were you. Not sure if your piston has slight damage or not.

Thank you very much for your assistance!

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi everyone. It’s been awhile since I have posted, but have been reading fairly consistently.

So, I have just picked up a 2008 Dolmar 5100 S. I’ve been wanting to try a Dolmar for awhile and this will be a good comparison to my other 50cc saws. It is in good shape, but I would like to get it freshened up for use. I need some of the Dolmar pros for assistance here.
1. The saw seems to be 100% untouched from the factory. No air leaks that I can discern, but will vac test later. Bearings feel great.
2. The saw runs pretty well, but has an intermediate rpm change at idle, seems random and not consistent - probably needs a carb kit, but have been reading about just replacing the carb with a new one. Back in 2016 @166 mentioned using a Zama C1Q 13b carb. I see there is also a 14b available. Which one is the best here? Is there a newer one than the 14b?
3. I have the original white/grey coil (14,500 limit) but again 166 mentioned replacing it with the superceeded red 13,800 coil for better performance. Even with all my reading in multiple threads, I can’t exactly pinpoint the red coil part number to order it. There are a lot of combinations that also include 5105 that aren’t interchaneable. Either 166 or @fordf150 can maybe help?
4. The piston is showing some scratching, so I just assume replace it and clean up the cylinder. Is the OEM piston the only good option @ $70??
5. I will also need some wear parts to replace for my own insurance (fuel line, filter, maybe intake boot, etc.) does anyone know a good location to order these parts? It’s not quite as easy as Husky parts.

Thanks everyone. Sorry for the length of the post...

Oh, one last thing... saw came with 18” 3/8” bar+chain. Will this saw pull this combo confidently? Seems like a lot of chain for 50cc’s.

I read somewhere here a while back that @Poleman used a 45mm husky piston with the skirts trimmed for clearance.

Maybe he can chime in.

Dirtmagnet

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I read somewhere here a while back that @Poleman used a 45mm husky piston with the skirts trimmed for clearance.

Maybe he can chime in.

That is very cool. If it doesn’t require a lot of modification, other than just the skirt trim, this could reduce the cost for a piston replacement.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Dirtmagnet

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I really feel for my cutting style the 20 is perfect . I have a 24 but haven't really tried it on it. May have to here in the near future.

Amazing that we are talking about a 50cc saw pulling that much bar. I always considered 20-24” in the 60cc class.

NCFarmboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

No aftermarket pistons that I know of.
Chainsawr used to carry a VEC piston I bought 2 of them. Just checked site showed OEM.
Shep