High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Defeating Limiters on Walbro Carb (2188 / 390)

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've seen mentioned a few times that there is a way to defeat the limiters on the Walbro carbs used on saws such as my Jred 2188 and its family mates (390, 385, 2186).

Does anyone have a concise guide or tutorial for those of us who aren't as well-informed or mechanically inclined? I can get a great 4-stroke in my 2188 during warmer weather, but when it gets below about 20 degrees, it gets harder to consistently tune fat and then back into it.

Thanks in advance! Pics for attention:
2017-10-19 19.46.07.jpg 2015-01-24 13.51.03.jpg

p61 western

Ol Mudflap
GoldMember
Local time
10:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can you get a pic of the choke side of the carb? Need to see a pic of what you have before giving advice.

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll get one tonight. There are little metal collars around the adjuster screws that come out somehow, I just don't know how.

p61 western

Ol Mudflap
GoldMember
Local time
10:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is there a brass plug on the choke side? If so that will be the governor. I think what you are talking about is the limiting caps on the adjustment screws.

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is there a brass plug on the choke side? If so that will be the governor. I think what you are talking about is the limiting caps on the adjustment screws.

Yes, that's what I'm talking about - limiter caps. I can look at a saw with the little plastic limiters, and figure out what to trim. These don't stand out the same way to me.

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No need to defeat them. Get a spline adjustment tool. It pushes them in and gets full range or screw them out and take them off.

Is it that easy? I have the cheap Amazon mix-pack of I think 6 different adjuster tools. I'll definitely put her on the bench tonight and see if I was just being thick headed this whole time.

Thanks!

concretegrazer

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No need to defeat them. Get a spline adjustment tool. It pushes them in and gets full range or screw them out and take them off.

So your just tossing the outer ring? I ground the extension off & reinstalled.

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I have full-range adjustment with the spline tool? If I remove the screw entirely and want to make it so I have full-range adjustment with a plan screwdriver, there's a part to trim off?

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll try to make this simple if you really wanna take em off..

Get 2 carb screwdrivers ( or something small to push the cap in ) and push one of the caps down and back the screw out as you push the cap in..its hard to put into words but easy to do.

Then trim the tab and put the cap back on the screw and put it back in...easy peasy.

concretegrazer

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No governor.

If you pull them out you can make it work with regular screwdriver

I figured that the spring & ring help keep it from moving, no?

So I have full-range adjustment with the spline tool? If I remove the screw entirely and want to make it so I have full-range adjustment with a plan screwdriver, there's a part to trim off?

On the back of the splinned ring there is an extension. That's what I removed.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I figured that the spring & ring help keep it from moving, no?

On the back of the splinned ring there is an extension. That's what I removed.
Spring does help. That's why I use the spline tool. I never remove them and tear that piece off

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Spring does help. That's why I use the spline tool. I never remove them and tear that piece off
The spline tool like you said is the best way to go imo. I think it's easier to use while the saws running than a straight blade as well.
It kind of locks the adjustment in also. Not that it's an issue but on some carbs it can be.