DDave Carbs to the Rescue!!!!

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
11:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As most of you know, I've been playing with these Asian 440 saws … 70 cc, BB and Hybrids!!!

In addition to the chain adjuster and impulse line problems, the carb problems have been driving me crazy!

I had to play with some of them, but I got ALL the Asian 660 carbs to work. I used to get Asian 440/460 carbs, and about 90% of them were OK. Now, it is the inverse!

Well, it just does not make sense to buy a $50+ carb for an Asian kit saw, so I went on Definitive Dave's website (Chainsaw Conservation Components) and went to the carb section. Well, there is was, Walbro Style carbs made by ZAMA for less than 1/2 the price of the Walbro!!! I bought a few and got to try one out today. I have always liked ZAMA, my 10 mm 044 still has the original ZAMA carb on it(rebuilt), and has always run very strong, so ZAMA is a name I trust every bit as much as Walbro.

My Asian Hybrid has a OEM 460 piston and HL Supply 460 Door Buster jug, and she runs fairly well. But the Asain carb that came on it was NG. So I installed a used Walbro, which worked fine for a bit, but then started spewing fuel through the exhaust every time I tried to start it. Time to give a D Dave Walbro/ZAMA carb a try.

At first I was concerned, the ZAMA name is not on it, and on the outside it looks like all the other no name carbs! But as soon as I manually operated the choke, I knew that it was different, smooth and no sticking. With the new carb on, my saw started, idled, and cut flawlessly, and as a bonus, you do not need to mod the control lever on the Asian 440s to use one!!!! THIS IS GREAT!!!

Finally, an affordable, reliable carb for the Asian 440 kits … Thank You Dave!!!

And this is a little bit of what I did with it today!

Attachments

• IMG_20181016_150103893.jpg
    IMG_20181016_150103893.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stihl owns Zama.

All the better!!! But we are talking Asian Clones here, so to get a Stihl made carb that works great with an Asian Clone … Great!!!

The choke control levers are a slight bit different on Walbro and ZAMA carbs. Either work just fine on an OEM saw, but the control lever on the Asian clones seems to have a problem with the Walbro choke control levers. Their angle when off is slightly different, and it jams the Asian choke control levers.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do have a question for you Dave … Do people really pay over $2,000 for a DP muffler for their 044???
I think he does that because he is out of stock and doesn’t want to re post the listing, so he does that price so no one buys a out of stock item.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
10:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I looked at this link posted, the carb pictured in the ad has a rough cast bore, no polishing whatsoever, there was also casting flash in the venturi area. IF this is representative of what's available, while it would make an engine run, it's not going to allow an engine to be performing all it can/should be. There's just no way around that fact. This does not however mean this is what Mike received from the Asian parts lotto. What does the bore look like of the carburetor you installed @MustangMike ?

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I looked at this link posted, the carb pictured in the ad has a rough cast bore, no polishing whatsoever, there was also casting flash in the venturi area. IF this is representative of what's available, while it would make an engine run, it's not going to allow an engine to be performing all it can/should be. There's just no way around that fact. This does not however mean this is what Mike received from the Asian parts lotto. What does the bore look like of the carburetor you installed @MustangMike ?
Gotta remember that air flows better over a slightly rough surface. Some carbs flow better with a brass jet pushed up into the bore than with a wide open venturi, too. I hate trying to make air flow faster. Can't see it

Drptrch

Coastal Fartknocker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think he does that because he is out of stock and doesn’t want to re post the listing, so he does that price so no one buys a out of stock item.

There’s a fee for Re-listing or starting a new sale. This way it’s on pause for a continuous sale.
Unless someone is Really desperate [emoji13][emoji13]

Erik

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The bore looks real good to me. The choke side is cast, the throttle side is polished.

In addition, the choke and throttle operate smoothly. I'm not building race saws here, just economical working saws.

My saw runs at least as strong with this carb as it did with the OEM Walbro. I think as it breaks in, it just keeps getting stronger.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also that is not casting flash at 6:00 (although it looks like it in the pic). That is part of the venture and is on the border of the cast/polished surface. When you examine the carb, it looks very intentional. (When the carb is upright, it is at 9:00). I don't know why the design a flat spot in the carb venture, but then again, I'm not a Carb Engineer!

What I care about is that it works, and it does. Great deal for the $.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
10:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gotta remember that air flows better over a slightly rough surface. Some carbs flow better with a brass jet pushed up into the bore than with a wide open venturi, too. I hate trying to make air flow faster. Can't see it

Inside the carb it's not about air flow but rather the lack of turbulence that's needed to help pull the fuel properly. Once it exits it can be rough as a cob the more the merrier. Sounds like Mike got a decent carburetor, the picture just threw up some alarm bells that needed some clarification. Sometimes the picture isn't a true representative of the product either.

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As most of you know, I've been playing with these Asian 440 saws … 70 cc, BB and Hybrids!!!

In addition to the chain adjuster and impulse line problems, the carb problems have been driving me crazy!

I had to play with some of them, but I got ALL the Asian 660 carbs to work. I used to get Asian 440/460 carbs, and about 90% of them were OK. Now, it is the inverse!

Well, it just does not make sense to buy a $50+ carb for an Asian kit saw, so I went on Definitive Dave's website (Chainsaw Conservation Components) and went to the carb section. Well, there is was, Walbro Style carbs made by ZAMA for less than 1/2 the price of the Walbro!!! I bought a few and got to try one out today. I have always liked ZAMA, my 10 mm 044 still has the original ZAMA carb on it(rebuilt), and has always run very strong, so ZAMA is a name I trust every bit as much as Walbro.

My Asian Hybrid has a OEM 460 piston and HL Supply 460 Door Buster jug, and she runs fairly well. But the Asain carb that came on it was NG. So I installed a used Walbro, which worked fine for a bit, but then started spewing fuel through the exhaust every time I tried to start it. Time to give a D Dave Walbro/ZAMA carb a try.

At first I was concerned, the ZAMA name is not on it, and on the outside it looks like all the other no name carbs! But as soon as I manually operated the choke, I knew that it was different, smooth and no sticking. With the new carb on, my saw started, idled, and cut flawlessly, and as a bonus, you do not need to mod the control lever on the Asian 440s to use one!!!! THIS IS GREAT!!!

Finally, and affordable, reliable carb for the Asian 440 kits … Thank You Dave!!!

And this is a little bit of what I did with it today!

Found the link, and purchased one immediately. Gonna give it a whirl.