High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Cutting a squish band without a lathe. Hilbillys welcome!

Wagnerwerks

I have yet to "suffer" from CAD
Local time
4:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I just realized this may be old news, but it's new to me...lol

So I came up with something today and I think it's worth sharing. While I was working, I was trying to decide how to cut my squish band in one of my 27 or so current saw projects. The base on this one was easy as it has a flat bottom. The inside was a bit more complex. I know sanding them works well, but it takes a while and I'm not patient sometimes. I came up with this little apparatus. All I used was a sawzall, an old sawzall blade, epoxy, a grinder, and a worn out piston.

First I cut a slot through the top of the piston. I then cut a chunk of saw blade that was a little big in the slot and stuck out the top an 1/8 or so of an inch. Then epoxy the inside and out to glue the blade in the slot. After the epoxy dries, carefully grind the blade nice and flat with most of the 1/8" still remaining. Also grind the edges flush with the piston. After it looks nice and tidy, bevel the blade on the grinder ( I used my chain grinder because is has a nice thin wheel. ) so it makes a "cutting edge" going opposing directions on the top. (Hopefully the pic will explain better than me.). I used a chisel in the bottom of the piston to turn it and cut the band. It's crazy quick and looks great. Here's some pics.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 450
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 443
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 449
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 403
Last edited:

Wagnerwerks

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
And the final product? Here it is.... There is a tiny bit of chatter, but I think that's because my blades are sharpened at too much of an angle. A light final sand should be all it needs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 256

Wagnerwerks

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I just hope it helps people out. I love to build crap.

I did have an idea for an improvement. I think if the blade was cut in more off center it would cut down on chatter.

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Necessity is the mother of invention...

Chatter seems to be an issue to some degree with most mandrel style squish cutters.
Playing with rake/angles sometimes can minimize it, you want the least you can get away with and still be cutting.

I find being very smooth and even handed while cutting is more the trick, once the chatter starts it wants to get worse not better.
Also mount the cutter in a vice and spin the cylinder around, seems easier to apply even pressure that way.
Find the treemonkey video if you haven't seen it.
Try not to take too much off at a time... if the chatter starts to get bad, you can sand it down a bit then cut some more.
In the end, a final finish sanding is the best remedy.

The blade may be just too narrow and digs in too much, you might have better luck grinding down an old flat file.

WKEND LUMBERJAK

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
3:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

So I came up with something today and I think it's worth sharing. While I was working, I was trying to decide how to cut my squish band in one of my 27 or so current saw projects. The base on this one was easy as it has a flat bottom. The inside was a bit more complex. I know sanding them works well, but it takes a while and I'm not patient sometimes. I came up with this little apparatus. All I used was a sawzall, an old sawzall blade, epoxy, a grinder, and a worn out piston.

First I cut a slot through the top of the piston. I then cut a chunk of saw blade that was a little big in the slot and stuck out the top an 1/8 or so of an inch. Then epoxy the inside and out to glue the blade in the slot. After the epoxy dries, carefully grind the blade nice and flat with most of the 1/8" still remaining. Also grind the edges flush with the piston. After it looks nice and tidy, bevel the blade on the grinder ( I used my chain grinder because is has a nice thin wheel. ) so it makes a "cutting edge" going opposing directions on the top. (Hopefully the pic will explain better than me.). I used a chisel in the bottom of the piston to turn it and cut the band. It's crazy quick and looks great. Here's some pics.

Excellent

WKEND LUMBERJAK

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
3:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

What are you using for your handle?

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is really a cool idea. Best part is that it works and works good. I'm gonna have to give it a try.

Anyone got any ideas about how to cut the base without a lathe?
I've sanded a cylinder base to help tighten up squish but what if I want to take .030" off? I'd be there for days sanding. Lol

Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
6:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have been planning a dual purpose dead piston
slotted to hold a HHS cutter that can be removed and the top fitted with emery.

Personally, I am never in a rush when cutting. I would rather do it slow and accurately..... not saying yours wasnt.

I made this with an old piston and it worked well.
Just chiseled out slots for the wrist pin housings and it hammered in tight. Took .010 out in a few minutes but I think if I needed to remove more, your idea of the saw blade in a slot would ensure a square squish

WP_20160724_15_01_07_Pro.jpg

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is really a cool idea. Best part is that it works and works good. I'm gonna have to give it a try.

Anyone got any ideas about how to cut the base without a lathe?
I've sanded a cylinder base to help tighten up squish but what if I want to take .030" off? I'd be there for days sanding. Lol
I took .060" off the base of a slantfin 044 jug trying to get the exhaust down because of a gouge at the top of the ex port before I had a lathe. Measure all 4 corners, cut a 50 grit sanding belt in half, and, rotating the jug 90° each time, slide it across the belt. Took me an hour and a half.

Wagnerwerks

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have also used the sandpaper method, but the one thing I liked about this is that I can do a ton of them and not lose the sharp nice corners. Soo... no changing paper.

Last edited: