High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Cross Pop-up Piston in MS390 topend

94BULLITT

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I got an old rough looking 029. When I shook it I could hear stuff rattling in the muffler. It had low compression so I thought it had a busted piston. I did not care enough to pull the muffler since it needed a top end. The saw was missing the recoil assembly and spur sprocket.

I tore the saw down and found that muffler was broke and the saw had ingested pieces of the muffler. I rebuilt it with a Cross Performance cylinder and the Cross Performance pop-up piston from H L supply. The Cross cylinder looked really nice. I was concerned about the weight of the pop-up piston. I thought if it weighed more, the weight might offset the bump in compression. My pop-up weighed 10 grams less than the flat top piston that came with the cylinder!

After I got into the saw I realized that the crankcase was busted on it. It was usable but I had bought a parts saw or part of a saw when I bought my 039. Luckily I had a good crank case. It is a late model with flippy caps which I like.

Everything went together without a problem. It started right up. I left it stock, other than the pop-up. The sounded. It had better throttle response than my 039 and 290/390.

I made videos of the tear down and rebuild. Then I did some testing of the muffler mod and some other things. I have videos of all of that as well.

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cool project.

I need to go back into my 390 and re seal it up at the 2 halves and then re mod the muffler, I didn't touch that area right in front of the exhaust port. I don't think k it's too loud as is and want to take that spot out.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

David Young

Safety First !!!!!!
Staff member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just sold a very clean 390 on the bay. I always wanted to see if I could tune one into something. I think a little tweak to a 026 is light years ahead of the 290-390 class.
maybe with the compression bump. ignition muffler mod they come around . they just never seem snappy.
I think it is the carb. The walbro carbs supposedly have a mid jet that may affect the way they rev. I suggest trying to put the meter lever a little lower or finding a stiffer spring.

this one is stawk
must be someone had a large boat and needed this saw...

Last edited:

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just sold a very clean 390 on the bay. I always wanted to see if I could tune one into something. I think a little tweak to a 026 is light years ahead of the 290-390 class.
maybe with the compression bump. ignition muffler mod they come around . they just never seem snappy.
I think it is the carb. The walbro carbs supposedly have a mid jet that may affect the way they rev. I suggest trying to put the meter lever a little lower or finding a stiffer spring.

this one is stawk

They can be turnt up a bit.

94BULLITT

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Cool project.

I need to go back into my 390 and re seal it up at the 2 halves and then re mod the muffler, I didn't touch that area right in front of the exhaust port. I don't think k it's too loud as is and want to take that spot out.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks, you should try one of these new pistons in it while you have it tore apart.

Nice thread!

(I sure as hell never thought a 390 would ever get this much attention ... :) )

Thanks, I kinda like these saw because they can be made into a good runner.

Well done!! Great job documenting the steps!!

Thanks!

this one is stawk

I have addressed the carb issue.I only have time to edit one video a night. It is not boggy anymore.

David Young

Safety First !!!!!!
Staff member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks, you should try one of these new pistons in it while you have it tore apart.

Thanks, I kinda like these saw because they can be made into a good runner.

Thanks!

I have addressed the carb issue.I only have time to edit one video a night. It is not boggy anymore.
looking forward to seeing what you found in the carb.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like the nylon mesh filter can substitute for a custom handmade filter (I like mine better because it does FILTER). So how much did that 'high performance' air filter cost?

Look at the difference in performance between the filters - how much work would it take to get that much difference by 'porting'?

Crikey, by the time we finish messing with these POSs we may have a cheap and easy formula to make a respectable saw.

Well done on the mesh filter!