RYNOSAWR

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
11:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So...... I was at one of the shops where they let me pick at the boneyard.... and one of the nice guys says "here's an old 440 for ya"..... it is missing covers, and some other external parts, and the cylinder has a broken cooling fin.... I didn't even look twice at it.

I was in a hurry and picked up 8 other decent builders or fixer-uppers while there.....

I got home and thought, this looks much bigger than a 44...... what!!!???? A660????!!!!!

Yeah!

My first one ever. I am thinking about this Randy-fied cross cylinder for it now....

Are the bevels better now or do I just need to touch it up a bit?

RYNOSAWR

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
11:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds good, and these are sold by Definitive Dave, correct?

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
1:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
HLS Supply

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
3:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just looked at one, and added bevels. The floor of the exhaust port was sharp. Fixed with a diamond ball.

The replacement that was kindly sent had some sharp edges on the ports also so I beveled them with a ceramic ball and fine emery.
The saw runs like its on steroids.
REALLY happy with it!
28" bar buried in some of the worlds hardest timber and it pulls hard!

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I should be getting 2 more of them today! May try to play with the porting this time, but the 2 I have running (one on an 066 (in the HL video) and one on the Flying Tiger), both run a good deal stronger than stock and have good torque.

Both have a muff mod and timing advance.

Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
3:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We are getting closer to bolt on performance parts Tony. Not completely there yet, but closer.
It certainly performs well!
I noticed them 50% off a couple weeks back and bought 2 more.

If I can find a big double ended bar with MS660 mounts I may build a 2nd china saw for milling, as that is what this saw will be used for

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rec'd my 2 boxes yesterday, both with Cross P&C!!! :)

I've used my Flying Tiger to mill with a 36" bar.

big double ended bar with MS660 mounts

What kind of bar and size is this? The milling jigs don't provide what you want?

Brian Carlson

Wanna be saw builder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen twice with a stihl ms360 that I put really cheap aftermarket top ends on. I used caber rings but bolted the top ends on. The funny thing is that it didn't happen right away. I broke each saw in running rich and used the saw personally cutting firewood for a couple of days. I sold the saw and then they brought it back to me later with the damage in the cylinder just like what was posted in this thread. I have never totally figured out the cause. I felt no rough edges on the ports to hang a ring. The first person I sold the saw to I refunded his money. The second guy that bought the saw I replaced it with an oem top end I had laying there off an 036 and it has run flawless since. He loves it and I like them too. Good little firewood saws for the weight. It still eludes me to as what actually caused the same type of failures with two different people running them and both top ends being broke in and running flawless by myself.