Crapsman string trimmer stalling

Leafy

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My mom gave me this god forsaken thing because she got a stihl battery powered one for christmas. It idles great, but it was sputtering at with any throttle. I had to buy a D tool to adjust the carb and playing with the high needle I could get it to run ok for like 5 seconds WOT then it would just stall. I took the muffler out and put it in the ultrasonic for half an hour to make sure the screen wasnt plugged up. Same thing, but now it wouldnt stall every time it misfired, but still wouldnt stay running all that great. I was just going to throw a carb at it and see if that fixed it, but I dont have any on hand that match the impulse port in the intake manifold. Its also got a lot of spitback in the air filter.

TLDR, 2 stroke missfires hard enough to stall and also has spitback whats broke.

Fish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Likely cracked fuel lines or scummed up carb.
Post the model numbers so we know what you have.

Leafy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll go look in a bit for the model number. But the fuel lines aren't cracked, outside the tank at least.

Fish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Look in the tank, for sure....

Leafy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Its craftsman 316711021. The plug was wet when I pulled it after stalling and looked lean. The piston looked like it had a healthy amount of carbon on it. I did gap the plug down to .025 to see if that would help the misfire and it did not.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is it a rebranded Poulan/Weed Eater? About how old is it? I would replace the fuel filter and check the lines really good before going any further. Remember, crusty lines can deteriorate on the inside and intermittently clog or send particles into the carb.

Leafy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah its a poulan copy. The fuel line looked fine, I took it out of the tank. Fuel filter looks dirty. I dont have fuel line this small. Its tiny.

backhoelover

SERVICE MANUAL MASTER
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is a little screen inside carb on fuel pump side make sure u can see like through it ( use a flashlight) they are bad for swelling shut

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah its a poulan copy. The fuel line looked fine, I took it out of the tank. Fuel filter looks dirty. I dont have fuel line this small. Its tiny.

Poulan uses odd size fuel lines, sometimes they can be found at better small engine places. You can get a fuel line and filter kit pretty cheap from Fleabay or Ereplacementparts.com.

Leafy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah I was looking and it is an mtd. I ordered some 2mm id viton tubing to go with the 3 and 4 I have already.

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Try doing a muffler mod. I did it to my toro and it really woke up. My royobi 4 stroke on the other hand, not so much.

Leafy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did muff mod it when I had the muffler out to clean the screen I'm not sure it really needed one because it didn't get any louder amen I made a hole directly from the inlet to the outlet and opened up the outlet.

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did muff mod it when I had the muffler out to clean the screen I'm not sure it really needed one because it didn't get any louder amen I made a hole directly from the inlet to the outlet and opened up the outlet.

Louder doesn’t always mean power gains. Another thing to consider is the string diameter. Most smaller weedies use .080. More thicker string means more power consumed in spinning it.

Leafy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This one came with the twisted stuff. I was gong to replace it with an echo head once I used up the piece on it.

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is a little screen inside carb on fuel pump side make sure u can see like through it ( use a flashlight) they are bad for swelling shut
I didn't know metal swelled in fuel mix.

Now Both Walbro and Zama are using high filtration rate screens that you can not shine light and they do clog easily. Most of the repair kits is using the see thru ones as replacements.

Stalling at full throttle is usually a sign of carburetor leaning out. Sometimes it is just the metering lever set wrong. Adding a little choke usually indicates this but not always as I have found out. I had a C4 here that was stalling at full throttle and adding cleared it up. But it wasn't a too lean problem instead it was a too rich problem. It had me looking for vacuum leaks.

Leafy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The thing that gets me is that it runs great between the stalls once I got a D tool and could put half a turn in the high and cleaned the muffler. It almost seems like randomly the spark comes way too soon and stops the piston on the way up.

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe timing? Check for a sheared flywheel key. Possibly from running a blade and ramming it into brush/fenceposts.

Leafy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Still unresolved I'll tell you what it isn't.
Fuel line
Fuel filter
Carb screen (was clogged with *s-word)
Whole carb
Flywheel key

Now the rear crankcase oring is cracked. I tried to cover it with Honda bond but that didn't have an effect. I'm going to order a new one I guess. If that's not it it must be the coil.

I also noticed that the flywheel gap changes by almost 1/8th inch as you rotate it. I was too lazy to indicate the runout but that flailing around could make the gap at the magnets vary I guess and then I'd call it not worth fixing.