beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
11:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welding the clutch hub to the bolt was a little sketchy. It didn't weld very well, the tig laughed at me so I migged it. Hopefully it holds.

Glock37

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Am i missing something here heat case untill bearing falls in wait alittle keep heating case untill crank can be inserted inside bearing hold for a few then apply sealer and case gasket then to the same to other case half no tools needed. I did a 372 this way no hassles after bolted installed seals Easy peasy

Yes some seals arent flush with bearing but further in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Am i missing something here heat case untill bearing falls in wait alittle keep heating case untill crank can be inserted inside bearing hold for a few then apply sealer and case gasket then to the same to other case half no tools needed. I did a 372 this way no hassles after bolted installed seals Easy peasy

I made the tools to mainly press the seals in square. That has been one of my biggest concerns. It'll be much better than the hammer and socket approach IMO.

If for some reason the case doesn't want to go together easily when everything is hot it will be handy to be able to pull them together without using the case bolts as well.

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

not necessarily easy peasy.... i've done enough to get good enough with this method you describe, but its not nearly as controlled and predictable as with these tools ... i think its easy enough to drop a cold crank through a warm bearing... but to then have the other side ready to go and hot and sealer etc all at the same time... and then it gets stuck, and then the rod is hanging ya up etc, pins aren't aligned, and then the crank isn't cold enough, and then you have to pray that the case bolts will bring the whole thing together AND then there is lateral force on both bearings. I am capable of doing this and have done it a bunch of times. with enough frustrations, I think the right tools are easy enough to make and cheap enough that it makes sense to use them. I hope to prove this when my 660 and 372 clones show up. ...vids will be forthcoming in that event.

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
4:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's what I came up with. I have a 372 ready to assemble so we'll see how they work.
4b44fb1848bafe62d3a52d1c3f49e2cc.jpg
c6ff1815c0d4501acfae4ff8d6676c1d.jpg
looks awesome!!!

Glock37

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
not necessarily easy peasy.... i've done enough to get good enough with this method you describe, but its not nearly as controlled and predictable as with these tools ... i think its easy enough to drop a cold crank through a warm bearing... but to then have the other side ready to go and hot and sealer etc all at the same time... and then it gets stuck, and then the rod is hanging ya up etc, pins aren't aligned, and then the crank isn't cold enough, and then you have to pray that the case bolts will bring the whole thing together AND then there is lateral force on both bearings. I am capable of doing this and have done it a bunch of times. with enough frustrations, I think the right tools are easy enough to make and cheap enough that it makes sense to use them. I hope to prove this when my 660 and 372 clones show up. ...vids will be forthcoming in that event.

I geuss what ever works for ya. I just put more heat to it Theres no race in getting it together i learned dont rush. The fasters i go the behinders i get I can see seal installers yes ive gottin a few of dim
Nice tools thems are cool !!

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Whats the thoughts on using heat...(controlled with a digital thermometer or not ! ) on the bearings with "non" metal cages ?
Maybe this is why Husq in there service advice have the tooling and procedure devised.

Glock37

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ive read both stihl husqvarna both say 300 or more to install bearing We powder cases at 400 with nothing installed the case will take it
I use a hf heat gun and gets hot enough ive used it on 880 cases I dont use direct heat heat the case not bearing keep it away from plastic cages but indirect is fine

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think the nylon will take quite a bit of heat, but it still worries me. having proper tooling is now easy enough to build, and zero worry.

"the hurrier I go, the behinderer I get" ... no joke... its true.

however, in this case, the cases do have to go together in a timely fashion if you are using hot/cold differentials...otherwise you lose the differential. ...and then you a stuck.... and then panic...and too much heat... and then the sealer gets buggard or whatever. you get the idea...

btw, glock....are you the guy that does the powdercoating? I've seen your work...its elegant. one day I may request those services!

Glock37

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes im that guy. I just use heat room temp on crank I dont like the idea of forcing steel bearing races into alum cases when heat is needed and they drop in. When i do a case i do the clutch side first then let it coolto touch then sealer gasket sealer then marry the fly wheel side and tighten screws smack it once or twice to free up

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Yes im that guy. I just use heat room temp on crank I dont like the idea of forcing steel bearing races into alum cases when heat is needed and they drop in. When i do a case i do the clutch side first then let it coolto touch then sealer gasket sealer then marry the fly wheel side and tighten screws smack it once or twice to free up

Please correct me if iv the wrong end of the stick here ...but are we not talking about pulling the crank into fitted bearings ? In the case .

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ive used both methode, I still use heat/freezer to mount bearing in the case.
Its long time since I bought the first crank mounting tool, 254/262 kit, its one of those saw model who doesnt really need the kit, but the same kit can be used on 357/550/562 and so on.
Nylon cages is probleby where its easiest to defend the cost for a kit, fail once with heat and you have already earned in the kit.
Same goes to 42/242, those PTO bearings and seal is NLA in many countries, you also use the kit to set correct depth for the PTO bearing, its one of the few saws where we cant play to much with heat :)

My new dealer let me buy those service tools for the cost price to Husky, last kit I bought was around 22-24$.

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have made some plans, well, not sure if I nailed the big Huskies....
PTO all left handed threads. I sorted 362/365/371/372 away from 385/390 due I gone use a different socket (6202 vs 6203 bearing)
_DSC3501.jpg

Tomorow plans is to check if I can get iron locally :D