Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
1:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi folks
I have a really nice KS Stihl 064 cylinder here that has had the spark plug thread repaired.
The thread repair is good, but whoever did it left a chunk of something hard in the motor and when they fired it up it jammed between the piston and the transfer bridge.

It totaled the piston and cracked the transfer bridge.

WP_20160627_16_15_22_Pro.jpg

I was planning on porting a cylinder but figure if this one can be saved and made to run well somehow, I will use it.

What would people recommend?

Shame its on the exhaust side

I have been told it can be ground out

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
10:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does the crack go all the way through the bridge? Or is the plateing just scarred up?

Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah I see the crack now.

Grind out the crack and fill with JB

When you say grind out the crack and fill, are you talking on the tunnel side or the piston side?

I could grind it down on the piston side and fill it with aluminum type F devcon to glue it up.
Sand it smooth....... would this do the job?

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I forgot to put a intake manifold gasket on a stihl blower late one night being in a rush and tightened the intake bolt straight through the cylinder...:eek:.. but with some sandpaper and JB weld I sealed it up and its been running stromgs for a few months now. I thought the cylinder was trash.... but the JB did well, I injested it down the bolt thread.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Different opinion here. There 'appears' to be enough material to hold the inside of the transfer port in position. There is no real pressure on that part of the transfer port as it is below the exhaust port (even below the transfers), so there is no significant forces on it.

I wouldn't grind it out as an open port cylinder flows entirely different than a closed port. The flow patterns on the piston crown of the two types of cylinders would show quite different flow patterns. ESPECIALLY, if you were to only do ONE SIDE.

I'd hit it with a bit of emery cloth to make sure there were no high spots and then run it. Heck, I would be more concerned at the little 'divot' that was taken out of the top of the transfer port. I expect that would have some effect on the flow pattern of the port.

If it turns out I'm wrong, take it up with my lawyer.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When you say grind out the crack and fill, are you talking on the tunnel side or the piston side?

I could grind it down on the piston side and fill it with aluminum type F devcon to glue it up.
Sand it smooth....... would this do the job?
This

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
9:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A saying my father told me when I was still a little fella comes to mind here. "If it was worth doing in the first place, then it's worth doing right the first time." Every time I ever bucked the old mans saying it always came back to bite me.
So for me, if it were my saw I might play around with that cylinder to see if something could be done, as it would be my time and money I was spending. If it were for someone else, I would send it to the scrap bin. I'd rather make a little less money, than ruin my reputation, that is a lot harder to earn, than lose. Besides the world does need more beer cans! What more of a positive contribution to society could be made? More cans = more beer = more happy people! So have a beer and think on it.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you look at the crack real close you can see a divit where something got pulled downward through the uppers .Looks maybe like part of a main bearing needle possibly.

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looking at the picture it appears that the transfer bridge has actually shifted a touch at the crack.

Would it be worth removing the bridges from both the left and right transfers totally?