High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Coyote problem, farmers call us.

alleyyooper

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Back many years ago my friend John who farmed was at the mill for some horse feed his wife asked him to get ground. While he waited in the waiting room other farmers were talking about coyote problems. John wrote down his phone number and gave it to a couple of the guys and said we would take care of the problem during Michigans open season.
At that time Michigan had a closed season on coyotes.

About a week later one of the farmers called John who called me and we went and shot several coyotes off the farm in a morning and in the evening hunt.

After that the calls started rolling in and John and I brought other friends into a group that numbers 11 today. we have over 50 farms we coyote hunt on full time and still get calls from new farmers who have heard of us.

We have strict rules break even one or a farmer complains your out of the group.
A couple of us meet with the farmer who called and find where we should park to be out of their way. We always shut gates behind us. We do a walk around checking property lines makeing notes of possiable ambush sites. Once we could use google earth to map the property we marked those sites and printed them out. Every one got to gether and had our picture taken and gave to the farmer so he would know who belonged to our group.

Once parked and ready to hunt NO NOISE rule is inforced that means no talking, rattles of our gear.
We are off to ambush a critter 1000 smarter than any cong ever was.
Hand signals are used once on the way to our ambush site. Since we all reload no brass is left behind, or any thing else.
Any coyote shot is taken out or put in a place the farmer said we could put non saleable fur critters.
We lost John in June at the ripe age of 61, it was unexpected, We miss him dearly.

Eric we have appointed to take over all the things John used to do like feilding the calls from the farmers.
He has a agency with girls working for him to answer the phone and take down the details so it is a good fit.

At out December 23d group party we added up the coyotes we have taken in 2018 and it totaled 323.
Figure not bad considering we don't hiunt much in the summer due to tall grass and leaves on bushes.

No we do not take pictures of dead coyotes. cameras weigh and when the snow is deep every once is more effort to expend for non needed stuff.
Cell phones are not allowed away from the truck, or SUV.

:D Al

alleyyooper

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
We used mouth calls to begin with. then John paid the big bucks for a fox pro.
I made my own E caller with plans SDHandgunner posted on a varmit hunting site. Used a apple I pod to hold the sounds but it was one so you had to play the sounds as were on the list in order. Got a different cheaper one.

100116_hunting_0909.jpg

100116_hunting_0910.jpg

100116_hunting_0908.jpg

100116_hunting_0907.jpg

Was looking fora large cup for it, driving on the freeway one day wife said there is a big cup backthere you been looking for. Parked and walked back for it.

callermug.jpg

then one of the guys bought a Ice Tec GC300 at walmart for like 67.00 and it was way better than Johns fox pro. as it had a remote that worked over hills and behing trees.
John sold his fox Pro and bought a Ico Tec GC 500 with a AD400 decoy. Eric also has a GC500, I bought a GC350 and the rest also have GC350's.

Dean has the only semi aotoloader a Remington 742 that started life as a 308 but wears a 22 center fire barral today but uses 308 remington cases..

Several 22-250's are used a couple 243's and a 250-3000 in a Savage 99 by Mike.

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds like you doing a fine job on pest control. Are anyone in your group using AR platform weapons? I hear they are a must have do to the larger mag capacity. Sounds like your always in ambush/blind style hunting. Do you ever run dogs? It’s also nice to hear a group leader taking care of bad apples of the bunch. Too often you hear about a guy abusing the rules, but because he is aunt Nancy’s son in law... we have to keep him.

alleyyooper

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
No one has a black rifle. they all know how to shoot so when a couple of coyotes show up they only take one shot each.

No we don't run dogs, Just set up and call them in, we do use decoys.

Erics son in law went hunting with us once. he shot when it wasn't his turn ran his mouth. so we cut the day short took him back to Erics house.
He got mad at his wife so left for home (another state) with out her. she stayed for a bit more flew home and divoriced him.

We always say do not be a Dewayne when some one is messing up.

Firewood Bandit

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hunt coyotes with a buddy who has been a life long hound man. Pretty different way of hunting as are the hounds which in my mind are no where near the same critter as my dogs.

alleyyooper

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Dean was wanting a auto loader and looks at black rifle as ugly sticks that use ammo.

Went to a gun a lot of gun shows really with a Remington 742 in mind. He finally found and bought one. Looked so beat up we told him the gun smith would tell him to save thr stock and forearm and junk thre rest.

Well the gun smith said it was a safe rifle to shoot and it would look good after it was blued and the stock redid.

Dean had a 22 cal coyote rifle in mind so had the stock and forearm removed told the smith to replace any badly worn parts and install a 22 cal barrel with a twist rate for 55 gr. bullets.

Dean worked on the stock to remove all the scratches recheckered it and applied a lot of oil and elbow grease.
The smith called him and said the rifle was ready for the stock and fore arm and testing.

Since it was a 308 cal to start with Dean used regular 308 cases and he and the smith worked upo loads for it. Dean designed the brass catcher for it and he has been shooting doubles since.

None of us laugh at his rifle any longer. it is a thing of beauty and shoots lights out.