Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
4:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I want that ST-80!!!

That was the first trimmer I ever used. My dad got it for his first Father's day. I used it untill I was 14 and the rod bearing failed. I tried to fix it but knew nothing about sourcing parts or proper repair then.

I like it!

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used it for a season when I first got it, then decided to put it on display as it still looks really nice. I like the bottom engine design, it doesn't feel any more difficult to use than the usual engine on top. The combination muffler/deflector is a clever design. One problem I can see is there is no drive shaft or cable to dampen any shock to the crankshaft if you hit something.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I also mowed lawns for several summers using an old Homelite trimmer like that. Did they all vibrate to beat hell or just mine?

The first trimmer i ever used was an ST80.

And yes, it vibrated horribly!

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Honestly, mine vibrates about the same as it's contemporaries did. My grandparents had a Weed Eater 1500 with the engine on the top and I put alot of hours on it. Every bit of engine vibration went right to your hand as the rear handle was part of the engine housing and the muffler was in the perfect spot to burn your pants leg. Also, that thing was one of the hardest cranking small engines I have ever tried, never really figured out why. I think the bottom engine Homies were more comfortable to use.

MarcS

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had enough one day and asked dad if I could buy a new trimmer. He must have felt sorry for me (rare) and brought home a new FS36 homeowner grade Stihl the next day. Night and day difference.

MarcS

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I remember right the fs36 was an Efco made trimmer. Got a lot of years out of it, actually a good unit.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
New addition to the collection, Craftsman 2.3 (Poulan S25DA) like the one my grandfather had. A big thanks to Hunter72 for the hook up!

1122190707.jpg

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
New addition to the collection, Craftsman 2.3 (Poulan S25DA) like the one my grandfather had. A big thanks to Hunter72 for the hook up!

View attachment 208835

Thats awesome! I know where there is a NOS ST80! Still has the manuals in the bag taped to the tube and the tags on it!

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And, why haven't you snagged it?:confundio1:

Its at an old hardware store where my grandpa lives. I knew this guy had a bunch of old mcculloch and homelite stuff stashed in the basement but he would never let me look or offer it for sale. He passed a year or so ago and his son showed me all the stuff but couldn't sell it because the store and its contents where under contract. I talked to the new owner and he was enthusiastic about getting this stuff into collectors hands but wasn't ready. Ill be back there this may and hopefully i can get it.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got a double trigger XL2 also .They were Homelites brain storm to compete with a Mini Mac .Ignition condenser goes bad then they sit on a shelf for 35-40 years .They are what they are and cut wood .Real handy to prune the apple tree in the back yard .Not real handy to drop that dead 100 foot white oak in the woods .

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A Super 2 was the first saw I ever used, my father had one for 20+ years. He cut some humongous trees with it too.