Converting Surge Brakes to Electric

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
3:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am converting my braking system from surge to electric and it seams this can be a highly debated topic.
One universal opinion I've seen is don't use electric brakes in salt water...check...I'm a freshwater only fella.
Another seemingly less informed opinion I've seen is "electricity and water don't mix, don't do it." Well, that might be valid but if one were to disconnect power before backing into the water (which I do now) I don't see how there would be an issue. Electric brake systems are always exposed to moisture, whether it be road spray or from sitting outside and they still function just fine. I think to some folks, moisture inside a brake drum could cause malfunction much like moisture in a distributor cap, but I don't believe this to be the case. These brake drums are not sealed units and are not trying to jump a gap at a precise time and therefore the presence of water or moisture should not cause a crippling malfunction.
Anyone with some experience on the subject care to chime in and offer some empirical observations regarding electric brakes on boat trailers? This is a discussion, so anything you have that is in favor of, opposed too or indifferent to the idea is welcome and appreciated.

Phill3003

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
the moving parts in the electric brake backing plates are the problem not really the water aspect. the moving parts will rust up and the magnet will not have enough power to over come the rusted joints in time. the hydraulic brakes have less issues with this. you can get backing backing plates that are galvanized which will last a bit longer but will still be a problem.

Last edited:

MasterMech

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
No exp with boat trailers but if you ever install electric brakes on anything, non-insulated crimp connectors, solder, and shrink tube. Self-adjusting backer assemblies. Those are my "must-haves" and have made the brakes on my trailers trouble-free.

Frogfarmer

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The water and electric myth is invalid on trailer brakes. If you are using the trailer on a daily basis the electric will work as well as the hydraulic. If it's a once in a while situation the hydraulic will last a little better. I've run both and neither one last as long as I think they should. I pull the hub's yearly and fix anything in need. I've been through several master cylinders on the surge setup. Just standard stuff with the electric.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The water and electric myth is invalid on trailer brakes. If you are using the trailer on a daily basis the electric will work as well as the hydraulic. If it's a once in a while situation the hydraulic will last a little better. I've run both and neither one last as long as I think they should. I pull the hub's yearly and fix anything in need. I've been through several master cylinders on the surge setup. Just standard stuff with the electric.

Maintenence is a must for sure. Submerging electric brakes is a strong myth that has a lot of followers and I think it's mainly due to a misunderstanding of how electricity works. I think boat manufacturers use hydro brakes because there are no other mods needed for someone to hook up and go.

Phill3003

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Electric over hydraulic disc brakes on a boat trailer or any trailer is the best solution to the problem no holds bared is a bit expensive but is a lot cheaper than a wreck. It gives you complete trailer brake control from in the truck and water proof 4 piston calipers and on the big trailers I service that do 10k miles a month the pads will last over a year easy.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

J.w Younger

1,000th Member!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've never used surge brakes on any of my stuff but have some experience with possibly poorly designed and homemade car haulers being a problem backing up.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Electric over hydraulic disc brakes on a boat trailer or any trailer is the best solution to the problem no holds bared is a bit expensive but is a lot cheaper than a wreck. It gives you complete trailer brake control from in the truck and water proof 4 piston calipers and on the big trailers I service that do 10k miles a month the pads will last over a year easy.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I agree 100%. If the cost wasn't so high that is the route I would have gone.

I need another job

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got everything installed and wired on my truck and trailer. Wow! How did I not have brakes on boats I had hauled in the past? Talk about feeling like you're in control of things when stopping. Still have to do some tuning because the drums were getting a little hot for my liking but I am a novice with this system so I have some learning to do.
To make things easier when hauling an empty trailer, I installed a toggle in line with the signal wire from the brake pedal so I can disable the brakes with the light load. My wife will like that feature when she hauls the truck and trailer back to the campground after we launch.
Also found that I would've had to replace nearly all my trailer hydraulic lines had I decided to refurb the surge system, glad I was just ripping that garbage out:)