jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
2:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That looks pretty nasty. I'm guessing you'll do all new flooring in there? The place I have right now is a modular although a higher end one.

I had to re-do the master bath flooring due to a similar leak the previous owner let go on.

cgraham1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That looks pretty nasty. I'm guessing you'll do all new flooring in there? The place I have right now is a modular although a higher end one.

I had to re-do the master bath flooring due to a similar leak the previous owner let go on.
Yeah we’re doing a vinyl plank floor throughout most of the house, and sheet vinyl in the bathrooms and laundry room. The main leak under the sink is fixed and now we are doing floor prep... one more day of that, then it will take 2-3 days to lay the floor. We also replaced (3) 4x8 sheets of underlayment in the living room because the previous owner let the dogs piss in there, and it was nasty.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
5:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah we’re doing a vinyl plank floor throughout most of the house, and sheet vinyl in the bathrooms and laundry room. The main leak under the sink is fixed and now we are doing floor prep... one more day of that, then it will take 2-3 days to lay the floor. We also replaced (3) 4x8 sheets of underlayment in the living room because the previous owner let the dogs piss in there, and it was nasty.
I'm gonna put vinyl plank in our kitchen/living room over the winter. Sick of carpet and the dogs are hell on the hardwood.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm gonna put vinyl plank in our kitchen/living room over the winter. Sick of carpet and the dogs are hell on the hardwood.

I'm doing engineered Bamboo in my kitchen/utility room and the front entrance way this winter - I'm not looking forward to it. I'd rather rebuild and port a Pro Mac 650
than do flooring work...

cgraham1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Added a porch over the back door on this manufactured home. The hard part is tying everything in and making it look like it fits the house. It still needs paint, posts wrapped up to 36” high & capped, and gutters. (The posts extend down to the ground).About 40 hrs. labor into it at this point.

2AD591EF-90B7-4FA3-8371-135EB1630841.jpeg 9C8064D9-011F-40F8-8E37-01642553C438.jpeg 9B1B4544-FBF1-4C8E-8E29-F2C4330D0E1B.jpeg FE736964-78EC-4218-B16A-F56E6F2EF638.jpeg

LOMartin

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
opened up this structural wall today, to lock myself in to actually spanning it.

Now to rework some electrical and move that one duct to the remaining section of wall.

Ordering the LVL, columns, and brackets tomorrow.

this has really opened up the new house a lot.

2months into this remodel working solo and almost nearing the finish.
8D85C732-9BBF-475C-B3F5-7E3D2633A0B7.jpeg

Last edited:

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do some research on your flooring, there some good and bad stuff out there! I like to get samples and scratch test it with keys, you will be shocked at the differences in the products. On a recent install we had a customer pick up there own flooring and it was the thin 3.5 vinyl and it scratched bad and you could break it easily, it also warped easily in direct sunlight( not through a window, direct) it must not be UV treated, and I realize that’s not an issue for everyone, but a patio door open to direct sunlight would do a localized bubble! It would go away when you closed the door, only took 10 minutes on a marm day to bubble and go away. Just throwing it out there, I wouldn’t do the thin product again, it’s just too thin, I worry it will get brittle over time in that environment. I would like to try a more expensive product in my own place...for testing

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm doing engineered Bamboo in my kitchen/utility room and the front entrance way this winter - I'm not looking forward to it. I'd rather rebuild and port a Pro Mac 650
than do flooring work...
Just as an FYI on the bamboo, it doesn’t like water(spills or frequent mopping) and it scratch’s need to be cleaned ad resealed as soon as you can, especially in blond/natural finish. We have installed a fair amount of it, and that’s just my findings. The blond finish once scratched will stain black with dirt or dust, and is difficult to spot refinish. Was also surprised at how it reacts to moisture. It’s still a good product, just letting you know it’s two weaknesses, the dark colors don’t show the scratch’s, and be mindful of water, like any wood product, it’s not Indestructible! Lol

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Added a porch over the back door on this manufactured home. The hard part is tying everything in and making it look like it fits the house. It still needs paint, posts wrapped up to 36” high & capped, and gutters. (The posts extend down to the ground).About 40 hrs. labor into it at this point.

View attachment 209527 View attachment 209530 View attachment 209529 View attachment 209528
Looks great! Here we can’t attach any load to a manufacturer home, on that porch we would have to add posts next to the house and cantilever a center beam so that almost no load was added to the manufactured home, same with a deck on a manufactured home, it has to be free standing. It looks great and like it was meant to be there, it’s weird how the rules are different everywhere! Texas basically doesn’t have rules...at least some of what I have seen, kinda joking but I have seen some crazy stuff

MarkEagleUSA

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do some research on your flooring, there some good and bad stuff out there! I like to get samples and scratch test it with keys, you will be shocked at the differences in the products. On a recent install we had a customer pick up there own flooring and it was the thin 3.5 vinyl and it scratched bad and you could break it easily, it also warped easily in direct sunlight( not through a window, direct) it must not be UV treated, and I realize that’s not an issue for everyone, but a patio door open to direct sunlight would do a localized bubble! It would go away when you closed the door, only took 10 minutes on a marm day to bubble and go away. Just throwing it out there, I wouldn’t do the thin product again, it’s just too thin, I worry it will get brittle over time in that environment. I would like to try a more expensive product in my own place...for testing
I just did my entire 1st floor (about 700 sq ft) back in August with vinyl plank from Home Depot.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LifePro...-Flooring-19-53-sq-ft-case-I114813L/300461633

It's 6.5 mm thick, includes a built-in underlayment, and comes with a lifetime warranty.

When I grabbed samples of it I took a steak knife to it and had a really hard time getting it to scratch... actually had to saw at it. We have 2 dogs and a cat who love to run around chasing each other and love to "slide" into rooms. This floor has held up to their abuse. It's also fully waterproof being vinyl, so spills are not a problem.

So far, so good. I know it's only been 3 months, but I am quite impressed with it. It's got plenty of "give" so slight imperfections in the sub-floor aren't a problem. I pulled up all the old hardwood and put down a 7/16" OSB sub-floor throughout the house, but there are still plenty of highs & lows being a 70 yr old house.

The thing I like most about it is the "feel". Very soft underfoot, and doesn't have that annoying "click" when walking on it like I've seen with wood plank.

20190804_115022.jpg 20190804_115032.jpg 20190804_115049.jpg 20190809_195942.jpg

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just did my entire 1st floor (about 700 sq ft) back in August with vinyl plank from Home Depot.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LifePro...-Flooring-19-53-sq-ft-case-I114813L/300461633

It's 6.5 mm thick, includes a built-in underlayment, and comes with a lifetime warranty.

When I grabbed samples of it I took a steak knife to it and had a really hard time getting it to scratch... actually had to saw at it. We have 2 dogs and a cat who love to run around chasing each other and love to "slide" into rooms. This floor has held up to their abuse. It's also fully waterproof being vinyl, so spills are not a problem.

So far, so good. I know it's only been 3 months, but I am quite impressed with it. It's got plenty of "give" so slight imperfections in the sub-floor aren't a problem. I pulled up all the old hardwood and put down a 7/16" OSB sub-floor throughout the house, but there are still plenty of highs & lows being a 70 yr old house.

The thing I like most about it is the "feel". Very soft underfoot, and doesn't have that annoying "click" when walking on it like I've seen with wood plank.

View attachment 210113 View attachment 210114 View attachment 210115 View attachment 210116
That looks like nice stuff!

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the tip! I put a thinner flexible product in our master bath and we love it. It's a very small, low traffic area.

For the first floor project I'll probably go with something like Mark used above. ^^^

cgraham1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks great! Here we can’t attach any load to a manufacturer home, on that porch we would have to add posts next to the house and cantilever a center beam so that almost no load was added to the manufactured home, same with a deck on a manufactured home, it has to be free standing. It looks great and like it was meant to be there, it’s weird how the rules are different everywhere! Texas basically doesn’t have rules...at least some of what I have seen, kinda joking but I have seen some crazy stuff
This one is on a foundation, so I wasn’t really worried about attaching to it, but I didn’t actually get a permit for this one, either, so... :)

Was back up there to do some other work the past couple days and went ahead and painted it. He wanted it all the same color as the fascia on the house... gonna wrap the posts and paint them white, though.

13B14FCD-C09F-400D-AAA7-813190A7DFDD.jpeg D205E97A-CF63-4827-88CF-0358D05CF2D5.jpeg

cgraham1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

View attachment 210113 View attachment 210114 View attachment 210115 View attachment 210116

That looks like nice stuff!

I’ve been looking at vinyl plank, and honestly the LifeProof stuff from Home Depot is some of the nicest looking stuff I’ve seen, and seems to be really good quality stuff... probably what I’ll go with in my house. Not cheap though... I think it’s about $3.19 a foot, and I will need about 1200 sq ft of it in my house, so right around $4000 with tax. Thinking of doing the Matrix underlayment as well... that’s another $1 per sq ft.

And lots of floor prep to do before that. :crybaby2:

MarkEagleUSA

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve been looking at vinyl plank, and honestly the LifeProof stuff from Home Depot is some of the nicest looking stuff I’ve seen, and seems to be really good quality stuff... probably what I’ll go with in my house. Not cheap though... I think it’s about $3.19 a foot, and I will need about 1200 sq ft of it in my house, so right around $4000 with tax. Thinking of doing the Matrix underlayment as well... that’s another $1 per sq ft.

And lots of floor prep to do before that. :crybaby2:
The price has really jumped in the last year. When I bought mine a year ago, I paid 2.79/sq ft. When I first looked at it about 6 months prior, it was only 2.59. When I checked the local flooring places, I got quotes for similar products of up to 5.00/sq ft.

Still, it seems like a really good value when compared to other engineered flooring products I've seen.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
4:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This one is on a foundation, so I wasn’t really worried about attaching to it, but I didn’t actually get a permit for this one, either, so... :)

Was back up there to do some other work the past couple days and went ahead and painted it. He wanted it all the same color as the fascia on the house... gonna wrap the posts and paint them white, though.

View attachment 211816 View attachment 211817

Is that A/C on the roof to keep tweekers away?