Compression testing

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
10:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can still hook you up if you want a few. I sent 2 to paragon builder a couple days ago. Got 8 left.
Sure. I guess I need to get to looking for some again. I started testing some saws after a guy asked me if one was locked up when he got it. [emoji14]

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had one 395 diesel on me on the mill. It was a gasket delete milling on a 98° day. No port work or anything. I'm guessing it was just too hot to mill that day. I think it was in the 185-190 range. I think that was with 87.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
9:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
My 066 will still tune well over 14000 but maybe the compression isnt high enough to hinder it.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's the way I understood it.. But why?
I'm gonna say....rpm would be limited because of higher compression causing more resistance to the whole moving mechanism. But added torque comes from the charge being more explosive under higher compression. Just a theory I guess

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My O'Reilly and snap on read within 5 lbs.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've had several that was all within a few lbs so I just picked one and stay with it

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are they not the same as what's in a valve stem?
The ones in a valve stem are stiffer and won't fully open to let compression in. My bottom one went bad. I put the top one in the bottom, and put a tire valve in the top. The top one just holds comp in the gauge

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm gonna say....rpm would be limited because of higher compression causing more resistance to the whole moving mechanism. But added torque comes from the charge being more explosive under higher compression. Just a theory I guess
It may have more resistance on the upstroke but it should be faster in the downstroke then right?

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So...if mines at 170, will 200 - 220 hurt or hinder?
Depends on what you're doing. His was 175 and went to 195-200. Lost about .2-.3 in a cant. I got it back raising the intake and exhaust higher than I wanted. Its still running the limited coil as well. It will bang the limiter If you don't keep good pressure in the cants

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Depends on what you're doing. His was 175 and went to 195-200. Lost about .2-.3 in a cant. I got it back raising the intake and exhaust higher than I wanted. Its still running the limited coil as well. It will bang the limiter If you don't keep good pressure in the cants
That's the way mine is on the limiter in smaller stuff. Intake is at 82. Just base deleted, not machined. Was wondering if more comp would make it better.

tree monkey

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Short hose or long hose won't matter. Just pull until the needle quits movin

that's what she said

Nope its what I said in the other thread. Length of hose is insignificant, pull till it maxes.

if she likes it like that

Just theory but too much comp could possibly hold it back from getting high rpm

ease up on your grip

Joey, maybe I should have said Nope im not taking your post wrong? I did this tonight after thinking about the other thread yapping on hose length.

I suppose comp readings would come in really handy when you are cutting squish if you are figuring what you want but I have sent all my jugs off for machining.

who's jugs went were?

hope she can handle that

My O'Reilly and snap on read within 5 lbs.

extension? or quick extends?

I've had several that was all within a few lbs so I just picked one and stay with it

I can't keep up with more then 1 myself, getting old

The ones in a valve stem are stiffer and won't fully open to let compression in. My bottom one went bad. I put the top one in the bottom, and put a tire valve in the top. The top one just holds comp in the gauge

do you need a doctor?

It may have more resistance on the upstroke but it should be faster in the downstroke then right?

if she says don't stop, then don't stop

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well thank god for multi quote lol. Glad you're up to speed TM. Now why in the hell does compression hurt rpm's?