Compression testers

countryhog

BTDT
Local time
3:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
wanting to get one without spending a bundle. Recently unemployed and looking to supplement by doing small engine repair so dont have a lot of $$$
So, what no-name brands are decent for a year or so?
How quickly do these loose accuracy. Nonames as well as matco, kd, mac and other name brands.
Not needing dead on just consistent
Know it needs a schrader valve
All edumacation appreciated

ranchdadmike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a MAC and a “Bosch” from Oreillys. I use them both just to test and they read within 1-2lb of each other. I think the Bosch is like $20, the MAC ummmm, no lol.
b8cd5eafc3c2527f508f9eee0a3fc0ba.jpg

72thing

Chain dulling master
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have one from autozone that looks just like the one @ranchdadmike showed. Seems like it was about $25. After a while it seemed like it was reading low so I bought a used Mac kit for about $100 off ebay. Well it turns out that the autozone one needed a new Schrader valve.
The Mac eventually did the same thing and I replaced it with a spare valve that came in the kit.
Bottom line, they pretty much read the same so I'd save your money. The Schrader valve is a special one with low spring pressure, and I've had trouble sourcing spare ones from my regular sources. Some say the snap on man carries them, but I haven't made it that far.

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a mac tools one i bout off the truck tgat was a repo. It was pretty cheap i think 50 is what i paid. I had a otc one before i bought the mac and they read the same and have for about 2 years with pretty steady use at work. The valves are warrantied thru the truck if you buy the tool from that tool truck. The valves dont last too long especially when you check diesels with them. I just remembered i have a actron ine too just checked and it reads 10psi low over the other 2. Those are the ones i have history with and would buy them again. Sorry about your loss of work and hoping all works out for you. I just went through that whole deal a few years ago.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
wanting to get one without spending a bundle. Recently unemployed and looking to supplement by doing small engine repair so dont have a lot of $$$
How quickly do these loose accuracy. Nonames as well as matco, kd, mac and other name brands.

will you be at Matt's this weekend?

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have that same Mac, its ok but not my go to. I always seem to grab my Lysle tester and wasn't expensive.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
They all break. Some lasting longer than others. My last one was from hls. It still going three years plus now. Have a push it one somewhere.

Your right arm will always be accurate. Never breaks. Leak down hang test never fails if the bearings are good and the piston is free. Best tester around is you.
Your Welcome

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
At a GTG I attended there were four different compression testers being checked. We got four different readings on the same saw, all about 5 psi apart. The highest reading was almost 20 psi greater than the lowest one. As Bud Abbott said to Lou Costello, "Who's on First?"