High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Compression Tester

JMoney

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I guess this is the summer of non-working equipment for me. My saws are very happy thanks to you lot, but I picked up a Kawasaki G4TR (1973) at the beginning of the summer that's been sitting for a month. Was backfiring and whatnot, so I tried fresh gas, then I replaced the points (they weren't opening even close to when they should), still no pop. The piston skirt is scored (exhaust side) and seems to be slappy too, maybe someone put an AM piston in that was too small. My subaru is also doing a crank no start with fuel and weak spark.

Seems like it's time to check compression, is there a decent one for not a lot of money that will work in a variety of applications (saws, bikes, cars with deep valve covers)?

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Personally I use an Actron compression tester setup. There a couple different but the I have is the one includes the 10mm adapter. Costs around $45 but well worth it especially if you are going testing different engines.

The following link is reference only; It is your choice if it is right for you and where to purchase but should give you idea what included.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...V1xmBCh2iXAkjEAQYAiABEgK3rfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

JMoney

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks, that one looks great! All of the ones I was seeing in my own searches for deep sockets involved sticking a rubber plug into the hole in the valve cover. I understand that will help wit the problems people are reporting of the adapter coming off in the socket, but I think with lots of anti seize and a light hand it should be fine.

JMoney

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the tip. I got the bike going, still need to fiddle with the timing. While I was diagnosing the points I had the fuel petcock off and I guess when I replaced it I messed up an o-ring that clogged the fuel line. I'd still like to check compression and pull the jug, but maybe I can get some more riding in and do it in the winter.

The car has spark at all 4 coils (maybe a bit weak, hard to tell with iridium plugs) at roughly 75 times a minute, and cranks 150 to 160 rpm. I hear the fuel pump and smell gas after cranking with a plug out, but I haven't checked rail pressure. I think I'm going to have to give up and have it towed 90 miles to a shop that won't just play parts darts. Tested the Crank and cam sensors, maf sensor reads during cranking.

I guess I might as well fess up. I did something VERY stupid, but I was tired. After driving about 50 miles with a coolant leak, stopping and letting it cool off and adding water where available, I was 3 miles from home when the computer shut it off. I let it cool a bit (not enough) and started pouring water into the rad. I heard a cracking noise (full disclosure, memory probably makes it a lot louder), and steam and the water I poured in sprayed everything under the compartment. I won't be a bit surprised if I cracked the block, but I keep hoping I just got something wet.

Last edited:

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The problem is that one has only 14mm and 18mm adapters. Here for me I got to have the little 10mm adapters. It does have cone type push on adapter but how are you hold it, the handheld equipment and try to pull the recoil; unless, you got the equipment in a vise holder.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you are going to be working on a variety of machines you probably ought to go ahead and get a quality unit with all the fittings. Mine is from Matco but I'm sure you can find the same tool under the original brand for half price. Actron may be the same thing, I know they have made a ton of private label products over the years. Always had good luck out of their products. I would first hit up Fleabay and see if you can get a nice used one.