Coal build up

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
11:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those who have woodstoves. Just wondering what you do with coals when they build up during cold times. Last night was -21 and when that cold i like to keep the stove rocking. By morning the stove was 3/4 full of coals.

Do you guys just scoop some out and reload stove or try to burn them. I hate wasting them but also hate not having room to load more wood.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stir mine up and burn down to ash. Coals the size of a nickel are still giving off a lot of heat. You should be seeing bottom of fire chamber once a week at least.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I try to rake coals over and scoop out the ash but its tough when thers so many coals.
I guess part of my problem is i dont let it get under 75 in house.
Also iv been burning a lot of red oak and find it coals up a lot worse the ash.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree with you 100%. Neighbor bought my 434, I had for 12 years and fill it when he is gone, Steve burns ash and all that is left is white powder. I burn mainly red oak also and burns down slower, needing to be raked and turned more often. I just pile coals up, throw a few logs on and let it burn down. As long as stove is working correctly and holding water temperature, I just let it burn down. Stove only heats water to set temp and adding more wood really does not change that. If house draw is to great for your stove and cannot keep up, have heard of people adding an insulated storage tank.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
10:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
let it burn down some and shake the grate then add more wood i have more problems with ash build up than i do coal build up.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The charcoal is the component that produces the most amount of heat in the burning process .Oak will burn down to powder if you stir the coals

If you do it right you might get about an ash bucket full of powder per face cord .I burn about a face cord per week and only clear the ash about once a week and get maybe a bucket full or so .Of course it's not 21 below either .

You have about three stages of burn,the wood,the gasses and the charcoal .You get the best results if you can load it up in such a way you get all three at the same time .
I've been burning ash but as we get deeper into winter I'll start loading up oak and hickory which coal up better .

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
10:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
the wood i burn is cherry black locust hackberry and sugar maple i get the best coals from maple
a stove full of hot coals to me is better than a burning fire it throws way more heat.
i could get more heat out of my stove but i do not use a pipe damper.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On the subject a lot depends on the stove type and wood .I have a Lopi glass front inset inside an arched masonary fireplace . Because it's 3/8" plate steel it holds heat a long time although by the same token it takes a while before it gets heated up as oppossed to sheet steel which heats fast but doesn't hold heat long .Then you have to factor in the masonary works that absorb heat and radiate same for a long period of time versus a free standing unit .

I can get 8-10 hours of good burn out of it but find it better during the waking hours to toss in a piece or two every couple of hours . That way I seem to get the three cycles of burn,solid gas,charcoal .In hours the fire is not frequently tended it can be loaded up over a good bed of coals and have a sustained long burn .

Every type of stove or insert has it's praticulars you have to figure out to get the best results .

Cigmaker

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rake them to the front throw on a soft wood split and turn the air wide open. I try and time my coal burn downs depending on temperature if possible.

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I rake them to the front and they take care of themselves. I let them burn down once a day before the evening so I can make sure there is room to pack the stove for bedtime.