Best Buy Co, Inc. Buy Used Saws CCC Ebay Store HLSupply Daily Deals

Clutch springs

Discussion in 'Aftermarket Spare Parts' started by Stump Shot, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Stump Shot

Stump Shot Old *pretty boy dipstick of Quality

After a couple months in service this saw came back with not one but two broken clutch springs having been replaced with aftermarket ones. At this point the decision was made to replace with OEM from a local dealer. Would have liked to try a different brand but how many times can I have this happen again? None. Upon examining them in comparison to one another the OEM is a little bit heavier, .006" to be precise. So I guess I'm just a bit frustrated, everyone knows repairing saws can get expensive fast, too expensive and the job will be lost. Besides myself(I bought the parts) where else can I point the blame, the one item in question, or the entire line of that particular company's products? Oh well at least I feel a bit better after ranting anyway.

IMG_20160706_143646_839.jpg

AlfA01, RI Chevy and 94BULLITT like this.
  2. junkman

junkman Crush it

The original broke springs were oem though ?

RI Chevy and Duce like this.
  3. Stump Shot

No, the originals were replaced because they had wear spots on them from(I'm assuming here) a loose drum bearing, as it had all brand new drum, bearing and rim sprocket when it came to me. The guy told me to go through the saw and refresh everything that needed it. So that's why the springs were replaced, as the clutch body looked OK yet. Basically the biggest problem comes from himself using thin drain oil and soaking the clutch(and the whole saw), then complains of it slipping! Think I finally got through the benefits of using bar oil, whole 'nother story. I guess I just needed to vent a little, as the more I think of how I can get through the aftermarket shell game better, the closer I end up at square one.
    As far as to what caused the replacements to fail I can only speculate, maybe heat treatment was off just a hair and the were a tad too brittle, surely the .006" wasn't the killing factor. The clutch did engage at the specified RPM by the manufacturer, so who knows, see how it goes from here I guess.

RI Chevy likes this.
  4. Lightning Performance

Lightning Performance Pinnacle OPE Member

The AM clutch springs seem to not take the heat like OEM ones do. Had to put OEM springs on a guys work saw with a Hyway clutch. He likes purple drums :confused:
    Maybe these two are related, no?

RI Chevy, huskyboy and Stump Shot like this.
  5. Stump Shot

Could be, this fellow recently retired from doing tree service work and I haven't seen him since.
    For some reason springs in general from the AM world give me pause.

RI Chevy likes this.
  6. Lightning Performance

Lightning Performance Pinnacle OPE Member

I won't use them again on work saws. The clutches seem to be fine.
    Tried to post a new thread sorting out clutch drums and AM fuel lines. I think some I have are marked wrong.
    1127 358 7702 and 1127 358 7703 are not the same as
    1121 358 7700.
    Yet these packages appear to be all 290 fuel line not 260. Forget about the 026 thing. The other winner is a clutch drum box marked Made in Brazil. Flip it around and it says made in China lol.
    Fuel lines are getting better, finally. And, there was a nice casting Hyway BB 1122 buried in a box.
    Anyone using Hyway clutch springs? My 361 has been wearing them for ten tanks or so with out issue.

RI Chevy likes this.
  7. AlfA01

AlfA01 Powered by Olive Oil and FETA Cheese..

I'm thinking that also. Not really wanting to invest in clutch parts that are AM. Gotta get some of those retaining clips for the clutch springs on an 026 that was ran totally without a bearing in the clutch drum.

She took to wobbling and beating about and destroyed the oil pump and chewed through those clips. OP wasn't too keen on maintenance or listening to what was happening to his saw.

RI Chevy and huskihl like this.
  8. RI Chevy

RI Chevy Stihl Runner

What saw broke these AM Springs?