Clone card tuning issue???

cre73

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had mine together for a while now. Got it running right off, have kept it pretty rich while doing short breakin runs. It has always been spitting some fuel out of the muffler. Got the bar and chain a couple weeks ago and can’t get it tuned to so that the chain doesn’t spin. Hadn’t went any further unti I could get a vacuum test done. Got the block off plates made today and did the test. It held 20in of vacuum without issue. Vacuumed through impulse line with plates in place of carb and muffler. Even the decomp from the kit held well. So do I have a junk carb? Read a couple guys had issues with the metering lever but have never adjusted one before. Sorry for the long post but wanted to make sure I covered everything. One thing forgot to mention LA screw all the way out. Tried just about everything with the H & L settings.

Last edited:

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
12:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Common for these China carbs.
Plenty of info on adjusting metering lever height to be found.
Some are having success with the China carbs after a couple tweaks.

NCFarmboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Read popoff press was too high, need to get it down to 7psi or so. Checked one of mine 22# pop off tried weaker spring needle wouldn't seal. Put original spring back in needle won't seal. Left it before I got out the big hammer. Do have WJ69 and WJ35 ready to go if I need to.
Shep

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
9:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Read popoff press was too high, need to get it down to 7psi or so. Checked one of mine 22# pop off tried weaker spring needle wouldn't seal. Put original spring back in needle won't seal. Left it before I got out the big hammer. Do have WJ69 and WJ35 ready to go if I need to.
Shep
7psi? Maybe set it at 15.

cre73

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are any of the aftermarket carbs any better? Saw a couple around $20

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had mine together for a while now. Got it running right off, have kept it pretty rich while doing short breakin runs. It has always been spitting some fuel out of the muffler. Got the bar and chain a couple weeks ago and can’t get it tuned to so that the chain doesn’t spin. Hadn’t went any further unti I could get a vacuum test done. Got the block off plates made today and did the test. It held 20in of vacuum without issue. Vacuumed through impulse line with plates in place of carb and muffler. Even the decomp from the kit held well. So do I have a junk carb? Read a couple guys had issues with the metering lever but have never adjusted one before. Sorry for the long post but wanted to make sure I covered everything. One thing forgot to mention LA screw all the way out. Tried just about everything with the H & L settings.
I have seen more china carbs that wont tune or work right than I have seen good ones. What saw you working on?

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I'm down to having to use a Chinese AM carburetor I like to put a OEM spring in it, I've yet to see where the springs were made right. If I have to take it apart might just as well rebuild the old one. Speaking of... do you still have the original carburetor? The spring inside it is better than the new Chinese one. I would do a swap and go from there.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The one on my saw works fine now, but when delivered, the metering lever was too high causing the saw to flood and hydro lock.

Took the cover off and adjusted metering lever to correct height (there are youtube vids out there on how to do it).

Just be careful to keep any gaskets exactly as they were, and you just gently bend the metering lever till you get it where it should be. 1/16" off will make a difference. No special tools needed, just some patience.

I've seen problems with some AM carbs, but most run just fine, so for the money I think they are a good deal.