Climbing with an 025/MS250?

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
1:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
She’s not real pretty, but she’s a runner for a 45cc saw!
I sold a rebuilt Stihl 025 just like this to a farm lady after we threw away her Poulan Wild Thing that gave up. Needless to say, she loves this saw. No comparison to what she had before. She said, "Thanks, Edwin. Now I know how a good chainsaw is supposed to run."

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
She’s not real pretty, but she’s a runner for a 45cc saw!

Run with what you got for now, we all did.

When your ready to buy look local for a cheap 192 or 3. Many of us have piles of the old stuff if you want any of those Stihl 020AV and AVE's. I still have a rear handle of the APV or something it was called. Some more 192's and a like. You like 009 or 009L? Overlooked most times by climbers but dependable and cheap saws that can do top or ground work. Mid handle type.

When you do dig *s-word up, if it lacks parts support and is a running cheap saw just plan on using it as a backup.
You can get carbs, lines, starters, handles, bars, chains, sprockets/drums and rims for just about anything used or new. The tough stuff is pistons, cranks, air filters, coils/flywheels and other large parts may be gone now or only available used by mail order. Check the parts stream before making a large investment in any saw. Check the known issues and decide if your willing to deal with them. Any MS020 or 20xT is tops for most of us. Modded ones are nasty and rarely needed.

Some, in time will sit on a shelf. Cheap deals rarely depreciate in value but make good trade fodder. Let us know what you dig up. Many collectors floating around who want stuff we would never use for working.

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think the 250 is a useful ssaw in a tree just like a 346 or 550 is. Not as fast or as strong but a very solid saw to use. And wont break the wallet it you drop it. Tie it off with the front handle since i dont kbow if the rear av cam haldle hanging by the tank. The few times i was in a tree i used a rear/mid handle 011avt and a poulan 2000/2.0. Those poulans are silly strong for their size. They are cheap plentiful parts are cheap and simple to work on. Guys will give you a hard time for running a poulan but drop their prized still 150 and alot of 192/193 saws embarrassed when the junk poulan oit vuts them badly.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
Back in the day as the say I ran up the tree with a 021 most days. It worked fine and made me a lot of money until I could afford a more expensive top handle saw. I say roll with watcha got. You should be fine. In this day and age when ISA and osha are mandating that all cuts at height shall be made with two hands on the saw an 025/250 will make one handed cuts less likely.

And I'll second saving up for an Echo 355 or 2511. Good saws for less money. I bet you can flip the 250 on craigslist for almost the price of a new echo because Harry Homeowner doesn't know any better and it's a "steel" saw.

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
9:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think the 250 is a useful ssaw in a tree just like a 346 or 550 is.

Not to derail, but weren't you the guy who said a while ago that you managed to get a 550XP running really well? If so, I've got some questions for you. Mind if I PM you?

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think an MS 250 is fine little saw. I've never owned one, but I regularly maintain my friend's MS 230 and have worked on some MS250's.

They are a good cutting little saw.

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I appologize for the confusion but im sure you are talking about me and my vintage jet skis (440 and 550s)

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I appologize for the confusion but im sure you are talking about me and my vintage jet skis (440 and 550s)

Lol. Maybe I'm confusing the avatar. Could have been andyshine also. Somebody with a green saw in their avatar had posted about a good running 550XP.

I'm sorry. Mistaken identity. lol.

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've use my 026 in the tops (for larger tops) before but I prefer my 200t with a 16" bar and it gets the job done.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I also have a couple 011’s in the basement waiting for some attention. One is a Top/Mid handle and the other is a rear handle.. maybe I should get around to going through the top handle saw and start using that in the trees.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I also have a couple 011’s in the basement waiting for some attention. One is a Top/Mid handle and the other is a rear handle.. maybe I should get around to going through the top handle saw and start using that in the trees.
You have a top handle in the basement....and they say I'm a tool.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, I shoulda kept my mouth shut.. :BangHead:

So you can guess what’ll be on my bench next!

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Back in the day as the say I ran up the tree with a 021 most days. It worked fine and made me a lot of money until I could afford a more expensive top handle saw. I say roll with watcha got. You should be fine. In this day and age when ISA and osha are mandating that all cuts at height shall be made with two hands on the saw an 025/250 will make one handed cuts less likely.

And I'll second saving up for an Echo 355 or 2511. Good saws for less money. I bet you can flip the 250 on craigslist for almost the price of a new echo because Harry Homeowner doesn't know any better and it's a "steel" saw.
I like the echo tophandles better in general than the husky or stihl ones honestly. I’m no climber, just ran and worked on a few of them.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
I like the echo tophandles better in general than the husky or stihl ones honestly. I’m no climber, just ran and worked on a few of them.

I like the 2511 way more than the ms150 and let's not even mention the 192 garbage. It'll run circles around one of those.

I like my 201 a little more than the echo 355 but that's purely ergonomics. The av is superior and leaves my hand less sore after work. I think they are close in power. Folks have to decide for themselves if the av and autotune are worth the extra sheckles.